The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage hits the right spot about the Libyan immigrant problem!

All the drownings off the coast of Libya with 'refugees' is all down to the Tories bombing campaign over Libya, destabilising the nation and creating a major problem for Europe (and Libya of course)

so do the right thing, - don't let these Conservative numbskulls in to do it again - vote either UKIP or Labour!

Scroll to see replies

Of course, if we had let Gaddaffi slaughter an entire city Farage would condemn them for not intervening. That's the problem with populism.
Reply 2
utter nonsense - Farage in't an interventionist, and it's up the the Libyans to do what they will in their own country

this idiotic plan of the Cons has now inundated Europe with refugees
Reply 3
Original post by ModYom
All the drownings off the coast of Libya with 'refugees' is all down to the Tories bombing campaign over Libya, destabilising the nation and creating a major problem for Europe (and Libya of course)

so do the right thing, - don't let these Conservative numbskulls in to do it again - vote either UKIP or Labour!

Well unless the Labour party has been cut down to 13 MP's and no longer includes Ed Miliband, I'm pretty sure Labour did actually vote alongside the government for action in Libya. A Labour government would have done exactly the same thing.
No the problems comes from the unwillingness of the EU to support possible Italian actions in Libya to restore order on the coast. The Europeans outside of Italy have no interest in Libya. We see just how fake the EU is when they can't even maintain manipulation over a tiny population of just 6 million.

Cameron did the correct thing killing Gaddafi, let us not forget the terrorism he committed on British soil and support for the IRA. I am glad Britain played a part in removing him. We had not put something new in place, this is where the issue comes from. Unless the Italians move and intervene in Libya support factions and groups to keep order. While killing or paying off the people traffickers and toeing the boats back to Libya this problem will not be solved.
Here is a picture of one of these boats:

Google image search returns hundreds more.

Here is a picture of a crowd in Tripoli:

Now I do not know if the fighting in Libya is, for instance, disproportionately affecting a Sub-Saharan minority in the south of the country, but even so, one would expect at least a handful of faces that resemble those on the streets of Tripoli. In fact the two groups look completely distinct. It seems plausible that these boats are full of people who are not actually from Libya at all. They look more like economic migrants from countries further south in Africa.
Original post by ModYom

You clearly do not know who Libyans are, the majority of people migrating out of libya are those that can afford it- these people go to istanbul

The refugees you are talking about are people from various countries in sub saharan africa fleeing poverty that take boats from the coast of libya nothing to do with NATO/military intervention :rolleyes:

source : im libyan.
Original post by Observatory
Here is a picture of one of these boats:

Google image search returns hundreds more.

Here is a picture of a crowd in Tripoli:

Now I do not know if the fighting in Libya is, for instance, disproportionately affecting a Sub-Saharan minority in the south of the country, but even so, one would expect at least a handful of faces that resemble those on the streets of Tripoli. In fact the two groups look completely distinct. It seems plausible that these boats are full of people who are not actually from Libya at all. They look more like economic migrants from countries further south in Africa.

you are correct, the people the OP is referring to are not libyans &
the sub saharan minority wouldnt leave their country rather move to safer cities
Reply 8
moving because you are 'feeling poverty' does not make you a legitimate refugee.

and wasn't it just a couple of years ago that the Cons wanted to bomb Syria as well, like that would have really helped the situation......bombing and destabilising regimes just causes big problems down the road, and it's nearly always the Cons who start it - I wonder why?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ModYom
moving because you are 'feeling poverty' does not make you a legitimate refugee.

and wasn't it just a couple of years ago that the Cons wanted to bomb Syria as well, like that would have really helped the immigration problem...

its not about whether they can be called refugees or not mate, they are not migrating as a result of the UKs military intervention
stop trying to persuade people to vote for your parties with your ill-informed threads.
Reply 10
how come there has been such an influx of refugees on boats recently then?
Reply 11
we messed up iraq
we messed up libya
we messed up syria

lets hope assad eventually wins against isis and restores order or the problem will just get worse
Original post by ModYom

and wasn't it just a couple of years ago that the Cons wanted to bomb Syria as well, like that would have really helped the situation......bombing and destabilising regimes just causes big problems down the road, and it's nearly always the Cons who start it - I wonder why?

*rolls eyes*
perhaps because people were dying in the hands of a dictator
blair supported the intervention in libya so i think your party doesnt agree with u m8
as if you would have guessed that ISIS would be created back then :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Original post by yasmin#2
*rolls eyes*
perhaps because people were dying in the hands of a dictator
blair supported the intervention in libya so i think your party doesnt agree with u m8
as if you would have guessed that ISIS would be created back then :rolleyes:

it was pretty obvious islamic terrorists would try and take over
Reply 14
Original post by ModYom
how come there has been such an influx of refugees on boats recently then?

Civil unrest makes it easier for people smugglers to get away with moving people. As well as the search and rescue missions making sure they actually get ashore. Its been going on for years, they're just getting better at it
It worries me slightly the fact that Farage only said he would be happy offering refugee status to some Christian refugees... I'm aware Christians are a particularly persecuted group in some countries, Libya being one of them, but there are plenty of other faiths and other minorities who suffer just as much throughout the world. It's a bit petty for me to be so focused on wording I know, but he could easily have said 'I don't have a problem with offering refugee status to some people from those countries'.

And I'm not sure why he's happy with refugees from this area in particular, when he is so against non-skilled immigration. I very much doubt that it's because he's suddenly developed a sense of conscience regarding refugees from religious persecution.
Reply 16
Original post by Actaeon
It worries me slightly the fact that Farage only said he would be happy offering refugee status to some Christian refugees... I'm aware Christians are a particularly persecuted group in some countries, Libya being one of them, but there are plenty of other faiths and other minorities who suffer just as much throughout the world. It's a bit petty for me to be so focused on wording I know, but he could easily have said 'I don't have a problem with offering refugee status to some people from those countries'.

And I'm not sure why he's happy with refugees from this area in particular, when he is so against non-skilled immigration. I very much doubt that it's because he's suddenly developed a sense of conscience regarding refugees from religious persecution.

Christians are by the far the most prosecuted group in the middle east by a mile so it was a fair thing to say.

And UKIP have always welcomed refugees and has no problem with them. UKIP disagrees with non skilled economic immigration. Massive difference
Original post by Observatory

I am not sure what is going on. The latest massacre in Libya was of Ethiopian Christians.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/19/africa/libya-isis-executions-ethiopian-christians/

So I dunno where ISIS are getting these people from. But I would not be so quick to dismiss the motives of those you see on the boats.
Original post by InnerTemple
I am not sure what is going on. The latest massacre in Libya was of Ethiopian Christians.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/19/africa/libya-isis-executions-ethiopian-christians/

So I dunno where ISIS are getting these people from. But I would not be so quick to dismiss the motives of those you see on the boats.

the people on the boats are not libyans.
Original post by InnerTemple

I am not dismissing their motives, I am questioning their identity.

I do not think these people are from Libya. I think they are Sub-Saharan Africans who have crossed Libya with the purpose of boarding a ship to Europe.

That does not necessarily mean that they are not also victims of persecution, but it does bring that into question if we do not even know who they are or where they are from.

It also somewhat reduces the culpability of the Conservative Party for their arrival.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending