Aeneas11
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone! I was just wondering what the complete list of themes were for Yeats' poetry? Thanks x
Beth_Burrough
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not entirely sure about Yeats himself, however he is a very well known Victorian writer and some of the themes for Victorian literature include duty, nationalism + trade, education and morality... And after ww1: class and gender divide and the role of woman so some of these are likely to be found in his work. Victorian poets were a bit more restrained than the romantics, however where still preoccupied with the countryside, children and feelings. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sebby123456789
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Themes
-Change-all

-Death (all poems except 'The Cat and the Moon' and 'Among School Children')

-Time (wild swans, fisherman, broken dreams, second coming, in memory of EGB and CM)

-Politics (September 1913, an Irish airman, swisher man, Easter 1916, second coming, Leda and the swan, among school children, man and echo, In memory of)

-Mythology/folklore (stolen child, Leda and the swan, broken dreams, cat and moon, second coming, man and echo)

-Identity (yeats had a complex sense of self and some critics have identified the 'quarrel' wih himself as the engine for his best poems e.g. Cat and moon, man and echo, sailing to byzanium, wild swan and Easter 1916 and more seem to dramatise a conflict within and about selfhood)

-Nature (sailing to Byzantium, fisherman, cat and moon, wild swans at coole, cold heaven)

Lots of his poems also centre around the theme of beauty, memories and the afterlife. He published his beliefs on the afterlife (gyres, reincarnation etcetc) in his book 'A vision'
(Tom)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aeneas11)
Hi everyone! I was just wondering what the complete list of themes were for Yeats' poetry? Thanks x
(Original post by Beth_Burrough)
Not entirely sure about Yeats himself, however he is a very well known Victorian writer and some of the themes for Victorian literature include duty, nationalism + trade, education and morality... And after ww1: class and gender divide and the role of woman so some of these are likely to be found in his work. Victorian poets were a bit more restrained than the romantics, however where still preoccupied with the countryside, children and feelings. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Sebby123456789)
Themes
-Change-all

-Death (all poems except 'The Cat and the Moon' and 'Among School Children'

-Time (wild swans, fisherman, broken dreams, second coming, in memory of EGB and CM)

-Politics (September 1913, an Irish airman, swisher man, Easter 1916, second coming, Leda and the swan, among school children, man and echo, In memory of)

-Mythology/folklore (stolen child, Leda and the swan, broken dreams, cat and moon, second coming, man and echo)

-Identity (yeats had a complex sense of self and some critics have identified the 'quarrel' wih himself as the engine for his best poems e.g. Cat and moon, man and echo, sailing to byzanium, wild swan and Easter 1916 and more seem to dramatise a conflict within and about selfhood)

-Nature (sailing to Byzantium, fisherman, cat and moon, wild swans at coole, cold heaven)

Lots of his poems also centre around the theme of beauty, memories and the afterlife. He published his beliefs on the afterlife (gyres, reincarnation etcetc) in his book 'A vision'
There are some really good free yeats notes and flashcards on the student room here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...B%5D=W+B+Yeats

This is a really good mindmap overview http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/diagrams/yeats_2

Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (48)
14.37%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.77%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.23%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.88%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.39%

Watched Threads