The Student Room Group

Ocr psychology psychological investigations

The exam is on 11th May 2015.

what do we need to know? What could possible come up? Best ways to revise?

Thought this would be a good idea to cover things on this thead. Other threads have been over run with comments.

Scroll to see replies

Use notes and memorise the key points.

Attempt past papers and mark to see how well you do.
I would have done a fair amount of past papers by now to get my teacher to mark. Remember your whole methodology booklet. Remember the different designs. Th strengths and weakness of observations and self reports. Make sure you know the evaluation for time/event sampling and opportunity/random sampling. From doing a few papers, I've realised how pravalent likely scales were so make sure you know your reliability and validity for them and how they have there strengths and weaknesses. Like I frequently had to state how qualitative allows you to give reasons for behaviour when analysing in depth information but we can't make comparisons as there is no numerical data to identify cause and effect. Also vice versa for qualitative. Actually freaked out for this tomorrow. All the very best to you:smile:
hi does any one have model answer for this question,its a 10 mark question on sampling technique

Describe and evaluate an appropriate sampling technique for this study. [10]
Reply 4
Original post by veryscared123
hi does any one have model answer for this question,its a 10 mark question on sampling technique

Wont it depend what the study is?
Reply 5

Since the context of this study is driving and stress levels, I have contextualized it to that. Yes it's quite simple, but my teacher said this is all what you really need.

I would do a random sample by gaining all registered drivers from the DVLA and inputting them into a random number generator. I will select up to 20 participants aged 20 to 50 who are willing to take part by calling them and continue calling until I have my 20 participants.

It's reliable as everyone will have an equal chance of being selected from the list so it will be more representative of the general population as the researcher will take no personal hand in picking out the participants which may affect the validity of the results gained and so will also rule of researcher bias.

It could also be reliable as by using the random sampling technique, the participants chosen will have a variety of personalities and so present ranges of data on stress levels and so again the data collected will be more generalizable to a wider population. However this is not all the case as possibly due to chance, the generator may pick out people who have similar personalities and so will produce similar results which will not be representative of a larger population and so affect the validity of the results negatively.

It has sample validity as all the participants who are taken part in the study are registered drivers therefore studying stress from these participants while driving is valid.

Those who are willing to take part in the study when called may have less/ more stress while driving which affects my ability to generalize findings to all people ages 20 to 50. Some people may not want to take part in the study as they may be embarrassed as they get quite stressed while driving and does not wish for others to know this. So if people like them are not included in my sample, it woudnt be a accurate representation of a wider population and would as outlined above, would affect the validity of my results
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I don't like this :sad:
Original post by Jakz007
Since the context of this study is driving and stress levels, I have contextualized it to that. Yes it's quite simple, but my teacher said this is all what you really need.

I would do a random sample by gaining all registered drivers from the DVLA and inputting them into a random number generator. I will select up to 20 participants aged 20 to 50 who are willing to take part by calling them and continue calling until I have my 20 participants.

It's reliable as everyone will have an equal chance of being selected from the list so it will be more representative of the general population as the researcher will take no personal hand in picking out the participants which may affect the validity of the results gained and so will also rule of researcher bias.

It could also be reliable as by using the random sampling technique, the participants chosen will have a variety of personalities and so present ranges of data on stress levels and so again the data collected will be more generalizable to a wider population. However this is not all the case as possibly due to chance, the generator may pick out people who have similar personalities and so will produce similar results which will not be representative of a larger population and so affect the validity of the results negatively.

It has sample validity as all the participants who are taken part in the study are registered drivers therefore studying stress from these participants while driving is valid.

thank you so much ,it helped me a lot,do you have any prediction what 10 mark question could be on
Reply 8
thank you so much ,it helped me a lot,do you have any prediction what 10 mark question could be on

My teacher said that a sampling technique 10 marker hasn't come up in a while so that may come. In the 2014 it was a observation so that the chances of an observation coming up may be less but know your stuff for everything none the less! :smile:
Original post by Dinaa
I don't like this :sad:

You ready? :banana:
Reply 10
Original post by Ritterschaft
You ready? :banana:

Nope :sad:
Original post by Dinaa

Same
Original post by Dinaa

60% just for an E :unimpressed:
Has anyone got any predictions of what may come up in the exam tomorrow?
Correlation didn't come up last year so probably will this year:smile:
Original post by Emily1310
Correlation didn't come up last year so probably will this year:smile:

do have any prediction for 10 mark question
Correlations, self reports or sampling technique (my teacher said the first 2 and it appears the second is likely) for 10 marker (predictions though, so please please please don't base revision on them).

Nerves have set in by now but all I can do is wait for the 18 hours to go by.
I really want to do well and all I want to do is stay calm in the exam and make sure I put as much detail and context in as I can.

Reliability:
Can the procedure be repeated?
Is the procedure standardised so everybody experiences the same thing?
You should make sure the 10-mark planning question has good reliability because thats what examiners are looking for.

Validity:
Are there extraneous variables? Demand characteristics, social desirability bias are very frequent, consider what you would say if given the question/experiment (happiness, I'd say I'm very happy even though I'm not = social desirability).
Ecological validity? Is the environment realistic and is the task realistic. If it's controlled (lab, exam hall) it's not realistic, if the task is weird (memorising objects) it's not real.

I'm so nervous for tomorrow though.
Hello, as self report seems likely to come up for the 10 marker can someone give me a sample question of what it would look like? and what i need to know for it
Reply 18
hi,does anyone have a model answer or could help me with this question please A researcher has become interested in studying stress associated with driving and wishes to conduct an investigation to assess stress levels of motorists in England using the self-report method.
Describe and evaluate an appropriate sampling technique for this study.
Original post by thiss1
hi,does anyone have a model answer or could help me with this question please A researcher has become interested in studying stress associated with driving and wishes to conduct an investigation to assess stress levels of motorists in England using the self-report method.
Describe and evaluate an appropriate sampling technique for this study.

Could you do random sample from DVLA list?

Quick Reply

Latest