The Student Room Group

Is university going to be my new 'address' ?

should my personal stuff and bank for example be changed to the address of my university when I move in?
Original post by Hatsune Miku
should my personal stuff and bank for example be changed to the address of my university when I move in?

You mean to the address of your halls right?
Original post by Incubator
You mean to the address of your halls right?

yes
yes

I'm guessing so
No don't bother, you'll have to change it every year then. Leave it as your home address
I d change it, otherwise you ll have to keep having stuff sent to you by your parents. I ve changed my address 3 times since moving to uni and was pretty easy to do
I wouldn't bother.
It's a farce having to change everything and as you get older and gain more things behind your name, changing address every year can mess with various things such as crb as it takes a while to track down etc.
Many businesses etc understand that as a student you're not living in halls permanently.
It's only for 3 years so don't worry too much about it. And your parents can always forward on any mail that's uber important. Just think of it this way, in halls, how secure is your mailbox and is there anything you wouldn't want people getting there hands on?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not worth it, you're only going to be in that room for one university year which is really six months. You can get your bank statement online if you want to access it, or get your parents to forward you the paper copy. Also, you'll go home at the end of every term, and you might go home for reading weeks/weekends, so the longest you'll be away from home will probably be a couple of months at most.

It could be especially annoying if you did set up something with your halls address, and then forgot to move it afterwards - if the bank or whatever is posting things to those halls, it can be almost impossible to access that mailbox after you've moved out.
Original post by jameswhughes
Not worth it, you're only going to be in that room for one university year which is really six months. You can get your bank statement online if you want to access it, or get your parents to forward you the paper copy. Also, you'll go home at the end of every term, and you might go home for reading weeks/weekends, so the longest you'll be away from home will probably be a couple of months at most.

It could be especially annoying if you did set up something with your halls address, and then forgot to move it afterwards - if the bank or whatever is posting things to those halls, it can be almost impossible to access that mailbox after you've moved out.

Original post by deviant182
I wouldn't bother.
It's a farce having to change everything and as you get older and gain more things behind your name, changing address every year can mess with various things such as crb as it takes a while to track down etc.
Many businesses etc understand that as a student you're not living in halls permanently.
It's only for 3 years so don't worry too much about it. And your parents can always forward on any mail that's uber important. Just think of it this way, in halls, how secure is your mailbox and is there anything you wouldn't want people getting there hands on?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

alright, thank you guys for your advice really helpful :wink:
alright, thank you guys for your advice really helpful :wink:

Just to add to other people saying don't do it... It's far easier to leave your bank at your home address and your parents forward it on. You can get new debit cards sent to the branch at your uni (if you can't already have them printed in branch) and it's less of a task at the end of the year to remember all the things you need to change your address on. :smile:
Reply 10
Id change some things (IE I have my Tesco vouchers sent to uni) but the rest of it can be accessed online (or parents can text / forward letters)

Quick Reply

Latest