What do you think are the best exam boards for different GCSE's?

Watch
cooldudehjhjwbjd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What do you think are the best exam boards for different GCSE's? WJEC? AQA? OCR? Edexcel?
SceneKid17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AQA for everything!
ellawhite4686
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did edexcel maths and all i know is that it's the hardest exam board for maths- not sure about anything else. don't quote me on this i haven't got any evidence I've just been told by various people!

I find AQA to be the best in terms of question style etc, thats just my preference

i don't like WJEC tbh!
Zeetingman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths - Edexcel (Don't know why but a lot of schools use it)
English - Cambridge IGCSE (Again, loads of schools prefer this exam board)
Science - AQA (Pretty obvious most popular exam board for science)
Geography - AQA (Again a lot of schools prefer this exam board)
Religious Education Edexcel (Majority of people doing RE are doing the Edexcel exam board)
French (Mix between Edexcel and AQA)
That's all the subjects I do so yeah.
WJEC seems to be the most hated exam board due to their high grade boundaries, I hated doing them in Year9.
Easist Exam board has to be Edexcl, the RE Exam questions are a joke it just takes a little bit of memorization, questions are repeated year in year out. I guarantee this year's exam paper will have a question worded differently from last years exam.
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How are we supposed to know how AQA Maths works for example if we've only done edexcel :erm:
SceneKid17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the worst is OCR they always over complicate things
pinkqueen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AQA
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I’d say it’s a mix between EdExcel and AQA. My school mix AQA, EdExcel and OCR. OCR tends to be seen (stereotypically maybe?) as the easy way, whilst AQA and EdExcel seem to have better content and fair(er) grade boundaries. OCR History B’s grade boundaries are absolutely ridiculous and most people hate the course for that reason. I’d say EdExcel or AQA for languages, AQA for Religious Studies, definitely AQA for Science, AQA or Cambridge IGCSE for English — I’ve never looked at EdExcel Maths, but AQA seems pretty fair in difficulty. For Computing, OCR is most definitely the easiest exam board however, there was a large "cheating fiasco" for the A452 coursework which has made it a little difficult this year because OCR ended up pulling a few of the coursework options. I’ve never really liked OCR for anything.

In general, if it’s AQA or EdExcel — they’re good. Never liked WJEC.
lubna1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iEthan)
I’d say it’s a mix between EdExcel and AQA. My school mix AQA, EdExcel and OCR. OCR tends to be seen (stereotypically maybe?) as the easy way, whilst AQA and EdExcel seem to have better content and fair(er) grade boundaries. OCR History B’s grade boundaries are absolutely ridiculous and most people hate the course for that reason. I’d say EdExcel or AQA for languages, AQA for Religious Studies, definitely AQA for Science, AQA or Cambridge IGCSE for English — I’ve never looked at EdExcel Maths, but AQA seems pretty fair in difficulty. For Computing, OCR is most definitely the easiest exam board however, there was a large "cheating fiasco" for the A452 coursework which has made it a little difficult this year because OCR ended up pulling a few of the coursework options. I’ve never really liked OCR for anything.

In general, if it’s AQA or EdExcel — they’re good. Never liked WJEC.
Just out of curiosity, why is AQA Science a lot better than Edexcel (I'm on Edexcel and thought the majority of people were too)?
lemxn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did AQA for everything apart from Maths which was Edexcel and Geography which was OCR
Gaiaphage
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zeetingman)
Maths - Edexcel (Don't know why but a lot of schools use it)
English - Cambridge IGCSE (Again, loads of schools prefer this exam board)
Science - AQA (Pretty obvious most popular exam board for science)
Geography - AQA (Again a lot of schools prefer this exam board)
Religious Education Edexcel (Majority of people doing RE are doing the Edexcel exam board)
French (Mix between Edexcel and AQA)
That's all the subjects I do so yeah.
WJEC seems to be the most hated exam board due to their high grade boundaries, I hated doing them in Year9.
Easist Exam board has to be Edexcl, the RE Exam questions are a joke it just takes a little bit of memorization, questions are repeated year in year out. I guarantee this year's exam paper will have a question worded differently from last years exam.
Spot on - exactly the same exam boards for each subject as my school (except IGCSE French but some lower sets did AQA)
_ariane29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Deffo AQA for science because there's so much recourses for it on the internet. Doing Edexcel is a pain, although there's a lot of course overlap between it and aqa it's not the same
But edexcels website is nicer.
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mr...)
How are we supposed to know how AQA Maths works for example if we've only done edexcel :erm:
:holmes:
It's all subjective anyways so.... :confused::rolleyes:

(Original post by iEthan)
snip
History OCR B is a pain.... :mad:
The grade boundaries for OCR latin are pretty terrible too- 90% for A* last year I think. So so so dead.
greentron6
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Edexcel is the best exam board - especially for Maths, Science and RE
From personal experience, OCR is the worst overall.
AQA has the worst time management - especially in English and Business Studies.
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Imo AQA is the best overall

But I HATE their history course. OCR's is much more interesting I think.
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by turn-to-page394)
:holmes:
It's all subjective anyways so.... :confused::rolleyes:

History OCR B is a pain.... :mad:
The grade boundaries for OCR latin are pretty terrible too- 90% for A* last year I think. So so so dead.
LATIN grade boundaries are AWFUL! They scared me… You’re right about History though.
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lubna1998)
Just out of curiosity, why is AQA Science a lot better than Edexcel (I'm on Edexcel and thought the majority of people were too)?
AQA Science tends to be a lot fairer in terms of grade boundaries, also people tend to like the course content a lot more than EdExcel. Although, I suppose it’s all down to personal preference!
#sarahsmith2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cooldudehjhjwbjd)
What do you think are the best exam boards for different GCSE's? WJEC? AQA? OCR? Edexcel?
AQA for everything except maths! AQA are definitely best for sciences - many people say they're the hardest but the layout of the course is also the best. Our school does AQA everything else too except maths so I haven't really seen the layout/topics for other subjects on other exam boards...

Maths however.... Definitely think Edexcel is the best! I hate the way AQA maths is laid out!
username1744309
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do:

AQA- English, History, RS
Edexcel- Maths, French (igcse)
OCR- Latin
CIE- Triple science

AQA RS is the best, but english sucks (CIE is easier)
CIE sciences have fairly low grade boundaries, e.g.- physics 65% is an A.
I always felt that AQA was like "if your answer's not on the mark scheme, it's wrong"... but for RS they can't do that because it's a matter of opinion.
kxylah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
wish I did aqa for science. OCR 21st century is the worst
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (81)
64.8%
I don't have everything I need (44)
35.2%

Watched Threads