The Student Room Group

Study where you want to live?

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering what are your thoughts on this. I, personally, cannot quite make up my mind (although I have to).

I studied international relations for undergrad in The Netherlands, applied to postgrad in IR as well and narrowed my choices down to 2 - got a place both at The Graduate Institute in Geneva and The Diplomatic Academy of Vienna.

Of course, Geneva wins (quality-wise, reputation-wise, the location for IR, etc.), but I am pretty sure I want to settle down in or around Vienna after postgrad and get a job there (not in academia, but politics. There is the UN, the OSCE, etc.) And for that, I guess I'd need a substantial netwrork and contacts in my field in Vienna.

So my question is - would you go for the better school (Geneva), even if you don't want to work there afterwards OR go for the lower quality school (Vienna), and live there for 2 yrs and have a chance to build your network during your postgrad? I am really afraid that I will not find a job in my field, because the competition is fierce (so Vienna would be better), but then Geneva is a better school and better environment (for IR at least).
The only thing I know about the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna is that they should have - or at least they have had for a few years - a double master's program with Johns Hopkins SAIS, and this should be a sign of very high quality of the school. Plus, I guess that in Vienna and Austrian politics the school is considered either top or top-notch. So if you want to work in Austria it seems very reasonable to choose it. Anyways my best advice would be to find some Austrian forums (or fb pages) to get in touch with alumni and current students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending