Zango11
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If I say 'Es raro tener un encierro sin heridas' do I need the subjunctive? I read that you use the subjunctive with it's rare that but just wanted to check if you could use it in this sentence.

Gracias
Viridiana
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's OK as you used the infinitive, you could also say "Es raro que haya" if you want to show off your subjuntivo skills lol
Sunghyunah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What exactly are you trying to say?
I don't feel like tener is even the right verb to use in this context, subjunctive aside.
Zango11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Viridiana)
I think it's OK as you used the infinitive, you could also say "Es raro que haya" if you want to show off your subjuntivo skills lol
So if I said 'es raro que haya un encierro sin heridas' this would also make sense? I'd do anything to add more subjunctives in haha thanks!

(Original post by Sunghyunah)
I don't feel like tener is even the right verb to use in this context, subjunctive aside.
I'm trying to say It's rare to have the festival 'el encierro' without any injuries.
Sunghyunah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In that sense I would agree with what Viridiana has written, try to avoid using the verb tener too much as synonyms show a much broader grasp of the language!
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zango11)
If I say 'Es raro tener un encierro sin heridas' do I need the subjunctive? I read that you use the subjunctive with it's rare that but just wanted to check if you could use it in this sentence.

Gracias
That wording doesn't sound natural in Spanish. It would be best to say something along the lines of "Es raro que haya un encierro y que no se hiera nadie" or "Es raro que haya un encierro y que no se produzca ningún herido"

Source: native spanish speaker
Viridiana
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Yep, agreed, I don't think the word is right in this context either, I was just talking solely about grammar.
Zango11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
That wording doesn't sound natural in Spanish. It would be best to say something along the lines of "Es raro que haya un encierro y que no se hiera nadie" or "Es raro que haya un encierro y que no se produzca ningún herido"

Source: native spanish speaker
(Original post by Viridiana)
Yep, agreed, I don't think the word is right in this context either, I was just talking solely about grammar.
In that sense I would agree with what Viridiana has written, try to avoid using the verb tener too much as synonyms show a much broader grasp of the language!
Thank you all very much! I'll use this version instead (I'm so happy I can put another subjunctive in my speaking presentation haha)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise