The Student Room Group

Are there 17 year olds in university

I'm going to be 17 in uni
im a year ahead cause i skipped a year
and im so nervous and scared
im going to miss out on all the awesome freshers events :frown:

i'm so scared that i wont make any friends because i cant go for these amazing events. So upset

Scroll to see replies

If you're really that worried have you thought about taking a gap year?

There will be other 17 year olds at uni but not many, you'll only miss out on events that involve clubbing and drinking. Lot's of people don't go clubbing and pubbing at uni so you wouldn't be alone :smile:
Original post by vanessanoelle

i'm so scared that i wont make any friends because i cant go for these amazing events. So upset

Yeah, like the person said above do a gap year if you're so upset, or you really should have applied for a deferred entry.

I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think, you'll be able to do some events I'm sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll always have other freshers events to attend if your looking for the social aspect. But I do understand your frustration as freshers is a perfect opportunity to meet people. Try signing up to as many societies as you can, hopefully this will make up for you being unable to go clubbing.
Reply 4

I'm in the exact same position as you, I'm also going to be 17 when I start uni, how long will it be until you're 18? I'm so worried I'm not going to make any friends because I know freshers will be a big part of the social side of uni :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scottish students usually start university at 17
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
If you're really that worried have you thought about taking a gap year?

There will be other 17 year olds at uni but not many, you'll only miss out on events that involve clubbing and drinking. Lot's of people don't go clubbing and pubbing at uni so you wouldn't be alone :smile:

do events happen through out the year or only during freshers week?
Reply 7
My friend will be starting university at 17. I don't think she minds. I've ready information online about uni accomodation for under 18s so obviously it's a common thing if they have a section on their website about it. If drinking etc doesn't interest you then you won't miss out too much on freshers week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bcmh
I'm in the exact same position as you, I'm also going to be 17 when I start uni, how long will it be until you're 18? I'm so worried I'm not going to make any friends because I know freshers will be a big part of the social side of uni :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly thats why im upset and I can't do a gap year just because of this... but im not going to be 18 till next year march ...you?
Reply 9

Events happen throughout the whole year, some uni's may have more events depending on the location but freshers week is the main one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Events are always happening, obviously during freshers is where everyone is getting to know people and events happen every night. After freshers events happen less often but still happen :smile:
Original post by r-t
Events happen throughout the whole year, some uni's may have more events depending on the location but freshers week is the main one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

this sucks :frown:
I'm going to KCL and I can't even attend the ball.. which is a really fun and awesome event... i regret skipping a year
Reply 12
this sucks :frown:
I'm going to KCL and I can't even attend the ball.. which is a really fun and awesome event... i regret skipping a year

You may only miss things out on the first year. But you can still have fun without getting smashed. Usually on the second and third year people crack down on their work so there will probably be less partying anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Exactly thats why im upset and I can't do a gap year just because of this... but im not going to be 18 till next year march ...you?

Will be early January for me so a bit earlier than you, thing is I'd still like to go out so as not to miss out, perhaps borrowing someone's ID could work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
get fake id
Reply 15
Original post by еlohssa
get fake id

Do they work though? Are there any places that you've had experiences with where they look realistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bcmh
Do they work though? Are there any places that you've had experiences with where they look realistic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started uni at 18 so never needed one. But a DL can't be hard to fake. My one is all scrunched up and the pic looks nothing like me (taken when I was 16 and had short hair lol), but people who review them don't really care. They just look at the year of birth and let me in.
I'm in exactly the same position but taking a gap year and applying for deferred entry
Reply 18
Original post by еlohssa
I started uni at 18 so never needed one. But a DL can't be hard to fake. My one is all scrunched up and the pic looks nothing like me (taken when I was 16 and had short hair lol), but people who review them don't really care. They just look at the year of birth and let me in.

Do you think that if you had a /97 birthday but the month was oct/nov/dec you would still get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bcmh
Do you think that if you had a /97 birthday but the month was oct/nov/dec you would still get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the date is the one thing they tend to look at. If you used a friends license, you'd have a better chance as they don't really look at the photo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending