The Student Room Group

Finishing Uni, Lots of Questions and No Answers

Hey guys, so... a little background. I'm moving from my country to England (north) to work as a nurse (already hired) with a friend in the beginning of june. I'm gonna get paid around 23k p/y after tax not counting night shifts and weekends and i'm planning on getting into medschool next year. How much money is necessarily "enough" to have a normal lifestyle (shared house, no car, etc) and, if you have any knowledge, how hard is it going to be to work 3 days a week (12h shifts, possibly friday saturday and sunday) and study medicine for the remaining days.

I know that having no weekends is kind of rough but i'm kind of a book nerd and i just love studying

EDIT: I'm not actually familiar with any laws in England so if you think there's anything that could be useful please say it!
thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I really don't think you are going to be able to work 36 hour weeks whilst being at medical school.

Definitely not 3 days per week. Weekends if you are incredibly disciplined and don't let fatigue and stress get the better of you in preclinical.

I don't mean to be rude but this seems very ill thought out, what do you know about applying to medical school in the UK?
Reply 2
Original post by ProspectiveGEM
I really don't think you are going to be able to work 36 hour weeks whilst being at medical school.

Definitely not 3 days per week. Weekends if you are incredibly disciplined and don't let fatigue and stress get the better of you in preclinical.

I don't mean to be rude but this seems very ill thought out, what do you know about applying to medical school in the UK?

Honestly... nothing! I just recently got "hired" as i still have around 1 month + final exam left... but since my grades are no where near bad they kind of saved the spot for me. I went there originally to ask questions about med school and etc and they made the offer
I m sorry but as far i m aware, you wouldnt be able to do so with a medicine degree as they d expect you to do placement any day and you d be breaking the working time regulations by doing so so may have to sign something saying you re fine with that
Original post by Lunaye
Hey guys, so... a little background. I'm moving from my country to England (north) to work as a nurse (already hired) with a friend in the beginning of june. I'm gonna get paid around 23k p/y after tax not counting night shifts and weekends and i'm planning on getting into medschool next year. How much money is necessarily "enough" to have a normal lifestyle (shared house, no car, etc) and, if you have any knowledge, how hard is it going to be to work 3 days a week (12h shifts, possibly friday saturday and sunday) and study medicine for the remaining days.

I know that having no weekends is kind of rough but i'm kind of a book nerd and i just love studying

EDIT: I'm not actually familiar with any laws in England so if you think there's anything that could be useful please say it!
thanks!

I'm a nurse and a graduate medical student. There is no way you will be able to work full time on top of doing medicine. If you get into a graduate entry programme the pre clinical years are intense and you will be in uni every day. The weekends are there for more study/chilling/sleep. You can do some weekend shifts but personally I'm too exhausted to even contemplate doing any and I only do them in the holidays.
So save as much money as you can this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lunaye
Honestly... nothing! I just recently got "hired" as i still have around 1 month + final exam left... but since my grades are no where near bad they kind of saved the spot for me. I went there originally to ask questions about med school and etc and they made the offer

firstly where are you from?

If you are from a non EU country then your tuition fees alone could exceed £100,000?
Reply 6
Original post by ProspectiveGEM
firstly where are you from?

If you are from a non EU country then your tuition fees alone could exceed £100,000?

i am from the EU
Also you may not be able to get your tution paid for you and the such
Original post by Lunaye
i am from the EU

Well Medicine is really competitive. Are you applying for graduate entry medicine?

There are admissions tests, grade requirements, interviews and so on.

You won't be able to work as a nurse whilst studying. No way. You'll have to find the money to study if you get a place.

You have to tell us your grades and degree and so on for us to help you.
Reply 9
it's a 4 year degree in nursing and my average is 17 +- 0.5 on a scale of 0-20
Original post by Lunaye

I have no idea what that means, can you convert it to the British classification system?

What courses are you wanting to apply to as well?

edit: sorry that seems pretty high 17/20?

You will have to apply to graduate medical schools. I'm not sure which ones accept nursing to be honest - some do - I think SGUL might. You'll have to sit the GAMSAT for that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lunaye

You would have to check which universities would accept your qualification and what grade the 17 would equate to.

Bear in mind graduates aren't funded on the five year course, so you would need £36,000 to pay for fees. Tuition fee loans are available for the four year course but these courses are very competitive and you would have to check which you're eligible for.

There is also the matter of admissions tests. The ukcat, gamsat or bmat depending on where you can apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can apply for the five year course but you will have to pay 9,000 pounds every year, I'm not sure if you can claim loans for tuition or living on GEM either as a non-Brit? You might be able to as an EU student - no way if you are non EU.
Reply 13
16-17 here is equivalent to UK 2.1 ...whatever that means
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lunaye

thanks!

Are you sure you got your numbers right, because 23k after tax for a new nurse seems way too high, it's more likely to be 23k before tax which would mean around 18k after tax,
make sure you know how much your earning so you can budget properly when you come :smile:
You also need to take into account that a lot of the 4 years GEM course are turning into 5 year course from next year, so you will need to take that into account if your planning to work first as there going to be more tuition fee then.
Original post by Audiology-Med
Are you sure you got your numbers right, because 23k after tax for a new nurse seems way too high, it's more likely to be 23k before tax which would mean around 18k after tax,
make sure you know how much your earning so you can budget properly when you come :smile:

With unsocial hours it will be around 23, depending on how many weekends and nights they do. If it's somewhere like outpatients then it will be much less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You also need to take into account that a lot of the 4 years GEM course are turning into 5 year course from next year, so you will need to take that into account if your planning to work first as there going to be more tuition fee then.

Well.. currently only one has said this (and one has ended).

But, yeah, things are uncertain to say the least.

Apart from Leicester, all the current four year courses are remaining next year. The only big change, that we know of atm, is kings now only accepting science graduates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
it is 23k i talked this over with the representatives quite a lot. On a sepparate note though..let's assume i postpone the whole med school thing for...huum 5 years. On that income, assuming i'll be living in the north of england and sharing a house with a friend, how much money will i be able to "save" monthly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending