Is it worth going to Bulgaria to study Dentistry? Watch

woodpeckr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have attempted three times in a row now to apply to Dentistry here in the UK through UCAS and all three times unsuccessful. I had an interview this time round at Leeds but due to lack of preparation (had never had an interview before) I was not able to perform 100%.

I am a bit fed up so I started researching into Dentistry at EU countries. So far I found Czech Republic and Spain which are both pretty expensive and have hard courses (as hearsay goes). Also found a "dodgy-ish" website offering help starting Dentistry in Bulgaria. The fees are much more affordable but I am debating it because:

1. Although the BDA recognise the degree, will I be "treated" the same. For example, will I get hired in my home town of Manchester or will I have to go to some hole in the wall clinic in a village area? I assume all the UK graduates will be given preferential treatment when it comes to the job application process.

2. The Bulgarian course includes a 6th year that counts as VT when I come back to the UK, therefore I will return fully qualified. Problem is, the 4/5/6 years of the degree are all clinical basically, and I know ZERO Bulgarian and do not really want to spend all that time and effort in learning a complex language with a new alphabet at the same time as studying the degree. Will this be an issue in how well I perform when I return to the UK?

3. I know no-one who has qualified from this university. It will either be Pleven or Sofia. So I do not know who I can refer to and how they found it when they came back to the UK.

4. What if the course is REALLY REALLY hard and they fail me and I have to retake years. Maybe even because I can't understand patients etc in Bulgarian.

Right now I am desperate to study Dentistry and I know I can do it, I just need a chance. But I really do not want to waste more time and money undertaking a risky degree. I also have a degree in Human Biology so I am hoping to skip a few years too.

In b4 TLDR

Cliffs:

1. Desperate to get into Dentistry
2. Want to go somewhere in Europe.
3. Bulgaria is cheap.
4. Have worries about course.
5. Pooping pants
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You certainly sound switched on and have done your research. I can't answer any of your concerns, but I would just ask if you have a back-up plan in case studying abroad doesn't work out for any reason. Good luck!
woodpeckr
Rep:
?
(Original post by kenny-plovdiv)
There are many students from the UK who study Medicine and Dentistry in Plovdiv. I'm an agent. Students study in English. They also study Bulgarian language for when they will actually have to meet patients. By the third year, many students can understand the language and serious students will be able to speak it well. Don't be scared. I think Bulgaria (Plovdiv) is a good place for your education
Feel free to PM me with which agency you work with.

The language barrier is significant. Do Bulgarians speak English? Will there be translators available in clinics (for students) for the duration of the clinical years?

Also what is the resit rate for current students?
woodpeckr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
You certainly sound switched on and have done your research. I can't answer any of your concerns, but I would just ask if you have a back-up plan in case studying abroad doesn't work out for any reason. Good luck!
Thanks! I have back up plans but dentistry is something I really like. No FY1 or FY2. Easier hours higher pay, good patient contact etc
Europhile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by woodpeckr)
Cliffs:

1. Desperate to get into Dentistry
2. Want to go somewhere in Europe.
3. Bulgaria is cheap.
4. Have worries about course.
5. Pooping pants
I've been going back and forth to Bulgaria for years and I'm emigrating in the next month or so. The sooner, the better as I want to get my business set up and start looking for properties to invest in.

There are a lot of British and English speaking students in Bulgaria studying dentistry and medicine. As already pointed out Plovdiv is one of the main places and has a great reputation. Honestly, it is definitely worth it and last time I was out there I had my teeth sorted out (need a wisdom tooth extracted) and the standards were brilliant. I'd have had to pay to go private here in the UK to get the same level of attentive care. Also, the people who carried out the procedure spoke brilliant English and there was a trainee present who was from England.

For some strange reason, a lot of people still think Bulgaria is some communist country but its actually on the up, thriving from the EU investment in some regards (its not perfect but no country is) and is also hitting its targets on renewable energy which is only going to bode well for the future. Furthermore, once trained if you were to live over there for a bit you'd only pay 10% tax so you could make a pretty decent career out of being a private practitioner over there and as you're a native English speaker you'd be able to add a mark up percentage for native Brits who are out there.

If you want to know more about the country itself rather than just dentistry then feel free to send me a message on here. I'll be about 3 hours from Plovdiv myself although may end up in the city depending on where I plan to set up my business. I still need to scope out things and do a thorough plan before committing to a location as I need to ensure I have the customer base there to ensure the business survives.
Europhile
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The language barrier is significant.
The language is only a barrier if you let it be. Go over there with an open mind and willingness to learn the language and you won't only return to the UK with a degree in your chosen field but another language to put on your CV to sell yourself to the NHS. Considering a lot of Bulgarians move to the UK, that'll bode well for you when applying for work in the UK.

Do Bulgarians speak English?
A lot of the younger generation speak a fair standard of English. A lot of professionals speak a good standard of English and those who need to do so, such as those in university who need side jobs in bars and clubs often do as well. Around 25% speak English but the vast majority of them speak it as an additional language, as you'd expect. I think the number is near the 2 million mark.
Ricky H
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Go for it man, if you really want to study Dentistry then you have to take these big steps. I'm sure every EU Dental University is recognised by the GDC so you shouldn't have much trouble finding a job back home. Keep me up to date on what you decide, I'm quite curious. ^_^
Knight rider
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, I'm also interested in studying dentistry in Bulgaria, Plovidiv university. I'm an AS student doing A levels but by doing some exams already I have a feeling I've haven't bagged the A grades I need to get into dental schools in the UK. I'm also have doubts about the degree, for example I know that the GDC would recognise the degree but will I be stigmatised and less likely to get a job in the UK if I have a Bulgarian degree compared to the UK dental students, A lot of agents have said no I wouldn't be stigmatised as it's part of the EU but Then again they would say that cos they wouldn't want to turn away potential business. If someone has gone to Bulgaria or any European countries to do a medical degree and completed the degree did you get s Job straight away in the UK and were you looked down on my employers.
Many thanks
.skittles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes EU degrees are all recognised by the GMC. But good luck when you apply for Foundation Program. You will get the absolute worst rotations and placements in the most far away places - IF you get a place in the first instance.
Absolutely. UK graduates have priority and it is ONLY until every UK graduate gets a place that they will consider EU graduates. Considering last year not every UK graduate got a place - and it looks to be the same this year - that means no Foundation training places for EU graduates. And no performer number means you can't work for the NHS. Your only option would be to work privately.
woodpeckr
Rep:
?
(Original post by dreamlover)
Wow, that's a damning review of the country and uni. I wasn't expecting that, valuable insight nonetheless. I'm confused though- are you applying for dentistry or medicine? You initially talk of dentistry but then here of being a GP.
I'm wanting to study medicine or dentistry too. I was thinking Bulgaria/ Romania because you can get a loan to cover the fees. I don't have 30 grand to cover fees. Have you found anywhere else where one can get a bank/student loan/scholarship to cover fees that looks to be better than Bulgaria? Is Italy on your list?
Yes I went there for medicine, however as I am in two minds I saw the dental schools and I was speaking of both in my post.

For dentistry, simply forget about it. The entire profession is based on where you graduated from and studied. It is all about marketing with Dentistry. Having a plaque up on the wall in your clinic with a Bulgarian Certificate.....

Just no. Simply...No. *bursts out laughing*

Do not do that to yourself.
Ricky H
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow Woodpeckr that doesn't sound encouraging at all. So what are your plans now?

I'm still researching the validity of getting a dental degree from Romania/Bulgaria. I don't doubt your judgement of a Bulgarian Certificate but to be honest I heard the opposite and that it was fine to have a dental degree from Romania/Bulgaria. I have managed to get into contact with some UK students studying Medicine or Dentistry in Romania or Bulargira and they said it was fine. Regarding actual statistics the only thing I could find relating to Romanian qualified dentists was that there are "545 Romanian qualified dentists on the GDC Register", this statistic is from October 2011 though so I'm trying to find something more recent.
For Medicine from Romania the most recent statistic I could find was: "The General Medical Council said that the number of doctors on the medical register who gained their Primary Medical Qualification in Romania has increased from 567 in 2007 to 2,002 by the end of 2012."

I haven't looked into Bulgarian statistics yet but I'll keep you up to date when I get the info.
.skittles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ricky H)
Regarding actual statistics the only thing I could find relating to Romanian qualified dentists was that there are "545 Romanian qualified dentists on the GDC Register", this statistic is from October 2011 though so I'm trying to find something more recent.
10 years ago there wasn't enough dentists in the UK, there was a high demand, so we were actively encouraging overseas dentists to come in and take the jobs. The past few years more dental schools have opened to meet the demand, more funding to take more applicants, now there are more people graduating than there are jobs. More competition for those jobs - and a UK degree will always be preferred over an EU degree.

It shows in practice, the overseas dentists are the ones slumming it at a corporate practice with minimum UDA values - the jobs that the UK grads don't want!
Heinz59
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by .skittles)
Absolutely. UK graduates have priority and it is ONLY until every UK graduate gets a place that they will consider EU graduates. Considering last year not every UK graduate got a place - and it looks to be the same this year - that means no Foundation training places for EU graduates. And no performer number means you can't work for the NHS. Your only option would be to work privately.
Im sorry but you are incorrect. Under EU Law it is illegal to discriminate against qualified EU applicants in preference with UK nationals. The UK NHS Foundation Programme website FAQs clearly state this and give the reason why. For this reason you will find that UK graduates are appearing on the reserve list.
.skittles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you're looking at foundation training for medics. For dental foundation training - UK graduates have been getting priority since it changed in 2014.

The DFT Applicant Guide:
-There are a limited number of DFT places available in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (‘DFT Places’). Previous recruitment rounds have been oversubscribed. Therefore, priority will be given in the 2015 DFT national recruitment process to those applicants for whom DFT is the only route available to be included on the UKPL. For the avoidance of doubt, this scheme is also open to Scottish graduates.

- In the 2015 DFT national recruitment process, applicants who can be included on the UKPL without completing DFT will only be considered for DFT Places if there are insufficient suitable applicants who have no alternative route for entry on the UKPL.
Kolasinac138
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The alphabet is actually pretty simple
LenaSim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Feel free to PM me with which agency you work with.

The language barrier is significant. Do Bulgarians speak English? Will there be translators available in clinics (for students) for the duration of the clinical years?

Also what is the resit rate for current students?
Lmao translators :rofl:
No way.

OP, you need to ask yourself whether you can adapt to the crappy standards in eastern europe. Public hospitals are a nightmare there.
Tawheed786
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi guys.. I'm thinking of applying for dentistry in Bulgaria to..Could someone help and lead me to a link where I can apply?
cutelady
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I currently have a friend who studies dentistry in Bulgaria and it's her 3rd year. Relatively speaking she does say it's quite difficult, and this year for example she was the only one that passed out of the majority of class mates. Also you need to learn the actual Bulgarian language whilst studying so you can communicate with patients in the future. This may be difficult as I've heard the Bulgarian language is very hard. However apart from that she likes it their and has many friends who speak English. A MASSIVE TIP, there are LOADS of fake agents willing to take your money and go. Make sure you research properly and get the right person or agency that can do it for you. It can cost up to £6000 trying to sort out all the paper work depending on the agent!
Hope this helped xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
eddydentist
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I realise this is hard but I would give up on dentistry and look at something else. Simply not worth it for a Bulgarian dental degree.
shenshen98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ricky H)
Wow Woodpeckr that doesn't sound encouraging at all. So what are your plans now?

I'm still researching the validity of getting a dental degree from Romania/Bulgaria. I don't doubt your judgement of a Bulgarian Certificate but to be honest I heard the opposite and that it was fine to have a dental degree from Romania/Bulgaria. I have managed to get into contact with some UK students studying Medicine or Dentistry in Romania or Bulargira and they said it was fine. Regarding actual statistics the only thing I could find relating to Romanian qualified dentists was that there are "545 Romanian qualified dentists on the GDC Register", this statistic is from October 2011 though so I'm trying to find something more recent.
For Medicine from Romania the most recent statistic I could find was: "The General Medical Council said that the number of doctors on the medical register who gained their Primary Medical Qualification in Romania has increased from 567 in 2007 to 2,002 by the end of 2012."

I haven't looked into Bulgarian statistics yet but I'll keep you up to date when I get the info.
Hey are you still researching into studying dentistry in Romania I've been looking into Gr popa in Iasi but their website is a bit of a pain have you already submitted some documents to apply there by any chance if so how did you do it?? Any help will be great help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (229)
13.68%
Impatient (212)
12.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise