Ajaipal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, I have got my English Literature exams on the 18th May and the 22nd of May (Just under a month). For one exam I am studying Mr pip and The Woman in Black. How do I revise for these????? And the second exam is poetry-The relationships anthology. Please help, Thank you xx Also, I am aiming for an A* in English Literature as I ant to study it at A level and maybe further....I am doing AQA too btw.....
I HAVE DONE ZERO 0 REVISION SO FAR BTW except read a bit/skim the books.
FlamantRose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Presuming this is GCSE?

Well I only got an A so I understand if you don't want to take my advice, but I am currently doing A Level English Literature as well. I revised for GCSE (particularly for the poetry section) by practising my analytical skills. You'll get an unseen poem in the exam (if I remember correctly!) and the best thing you can do to prepare for it is go through your anthology and see what meanings you can pick out from the poems. Think about what the writer was feeling at the time, link it to context and think about the form, structure and language used. Remember, if you're analysing something it's best to look at multiple possible meanings from one quote, because this will give you a more sophisticated response and will boost your marks!

For the prose exam, just look at the themes of the texts you have been studying and practice writing paragraphs for them that use good vocabulary, good spelling, and include all of the points necessary to get high marks.

Revising for English is not easy - not by a long shot, but just persevere and speak to your teacher if you're struggling, and everything will be fine

I hope this helps!
Isco10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm also doing mine on the same days and on Wednesday i've got a mock exam which will determined if i'm doing higher tier or foundation :confused:
SceneKid17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can easily get an A* just focus on each character and take down 4/5 quotes on each character and then really analyse each and every quote like really go into detail and make sure you include the readers thoughts and feelings that's really important and gets you into band 5 also add a bit more and bring the writer into it and express what he/she is feeling or trying to put across the reader and lastly include the social/historical content. You should be fine, just do past eng lit papers there's plenty on the AQA site. GOOD LUCK!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (368)
67.15%
No (180)
32.85%

Watched Threads