The Student Room Group

Sad all the time

For the past 10 years or so, I've had bouts of just feeling sad and crying all the time, it would last for a few days at the most and then I will feel slightly okay again. A few years ago I was in debt and was having trouble looking for a job and was particularity sad, so I went to my GP and she just said that because I wasn't feeling suicidal, it will go away because it's probably because I was stressed looking for a job and not sleeping and eating properly.

I currently have a decent paying full time job, not in any more debt, and in a good, stable relationship but I still feel sad and tearful every other week or so. Some weekends I'll just be at home and crying for hours and not know why I'm crying. I feel like I have no reason to be sad and I guess I don't but I still feel sad. I just don't know if I should go back to see my GP or not.
Firstly, please please please make sure that you know that this is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Do you still find enjoyment in most things that you used to? Such as a particular television programme or going shopping, to the theme park, when with friends etc.
I highly recommend going back to your GP. It may help to take someone with you such as your partner. It is important not to try and keep this to yourself as not only does that make things worse but it also makes you think that it is something to be ashamed of - it is not.
If you're hesitant about going to the GP try calling NHS24 or visiting the NHS website for more information on things such as depression.
Just in addition to what rachel has said, which is very sensible. I wondered if you have any hobbies or interests that you enjoy? It might sound silly, but sometimes, trying out different things can help give you a focus for your mind.
Reply 3
Original post by rachelbowden
Firstly, please please please make sure that you know that this is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Do you still find enjoyment in most things that you used to? Such as a particular television programme or going shopping, to the theme park, when with friends etc.
I highly recommend going back to your GP. It may help to take someone with you such as your partner. It is important not to try and keep this to yourself as not only does that make things worse but it also makes you think that it is something to be ashamed of - it is not.
If you're hesitant about going to the GP try calling NHS24 or visiting the NHS website for more information on things such as depression.

Hello, thank you for your reply. I just feel like I shouldn't be sad because there are a lot of other less fortunate people out there than me. I enjoy reading and watching TV shows, that's about it. I tried getting into new hobbies but it wouldn't work out and I would just give up. I think I will make another appointment with my GP, I've read up on a few websites and it just didn't really seem to apply to me, I can still go about my life with work and things etc but I'll just feel sad with no real explanation as to why I'm feeling sad.
Reply 4
Original post by Captain Jack
Just in addition to what rachel has said, which is very sensible. I wondered if you have any hobbies or interests that you enjoy? It might sound silly, but sometimes, trying out different things can help give you a focus for your mind.

A while ago I made a list of new hobbies I would want to try out and I gave a couple of them a go but it didn't work out or I just got bored with it after a few tries. I think I will try and branch out on some other hobbies. I always seem to feel better after doing the initial planning and brainstorming or things that I could do to distract myself from feeling down.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, thank you for your reply. I just feel like I shouldn't be sad because there are a lot of other less fortunate people out there than me. I enjoy reading and watching TV shows, that's about it. I tried getting into new hobbies but it wouldn't work out and I would just give up. I think I will make another appointment with my GP, I've read up on a few websites and it just didn't really seem to apply to me, I can still go about my life with work and things etc but I'll just feel sad with no real explanation as to why I'm feeling sad.

Firstly- don't feel as though you can't be sad because other people have it much worse, that's like saying you can't be happy because other people have it much better.
Secondly - no two people's depression is the same. Just because you don't fit all the specific characteristics doesn't mean you don't have it. I'm not saying you do have depression, just that you should probably get checked out okay? Better safe than sorry and a different doctor may be able to help you. It's ten years down the line, people are far more aware of mental illness than they used to be
Reply 6
Firstly- don't feel as though you can't be sad because other people have it much worse, that's like saying you can't be happy because other people have it much better.
Secondly - no two people's depression is the same. Just because you don't fit all the specific characteristics doesn't mean you don't have it. I'm not saying you do have depression, just that you should probably get checked out okay? Better safe than sorry and a different doctor may be able to help you. It's ten years down the line, people are far more aware of mental illness than they used to be

Hi Rachel, thank you for your helpful advice. Its just that I know a couple of friends who are or were depressed, and you're right, theirs is different to how I'm feeling so I was just doubting myself because how I'm feeling is not as big in perspective as what they're feeling.

I will definitely book another appointment with my GP now. In the mean time, will try and think happy thoughts =)
Hi, just wondering how you're doing. Did you book an appointment with your GP?
Reply 8
Hi, just wondering how you're doing. Did you book an appointment with your GP?

Thanks for checking up on me =)

I haven't yet, but was actually thinking this yesterday, been busy with work and things. Making an appointment at my GP is a nightmare though, I have to ring up on the day at 8am and I can't book ahead, only for that day that I call up, grrr. I'm going to try tomorrow as they open late on Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest