Turn on thread page Beta

Any predictions for SCLY1 Family and Households and SCLY2 education and socio methods watch

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for sociology exams? Not going to concentrate on this but I will make sure I look at it a bit more
    SCLY1 Fam and households
    SCLY2 education with sociological methods

ReputationRep:
    For family it would probably be social policy and childhood for the 24 markers not sure about education though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noey123)
    For family it would probably be social policy and childhood for the 24 markers not sure about education though
    Are you doing the exam?

If yes...are you revising everything?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I think it's gonna be social policy and possibly childhood or domestic labour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Are you doing the exam?

If yes...are you revising everything?
    hey there

yes am doing the exam, and i am revising for everything which is important but am revising mostly social policy and childhood. Everyone i have spoken to predict these two two topics will come up. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    hey there

yes am doing the exam, and i am revising for everything which is important but am revising mostly social policy and childhood. Everyone i have spoken to predict these two two topics will come up. Hope this helps
    Can you help with social policy?
    I am struggling with social policy examples i can use.....? Like examples!

ReputationRep:
    Can you help with social policy?
    I am struggling with social policy examples i can use.....? Like examples!
    Here's some social policy examples you could use:

- Divorce Reform Act 1969 = Made divorce much easier to obtain, gave women more choice to leave their oppressive husbands, leads to an increase in lone parent families and re-constituted families.

- Equal Pay Act 1970 = Gives women (and men) a right to equal pay at work for equal work, Decline in patriarchal families (Supporting gender equality at work and indirectly to the family)

New Labour:

- Civil Partnership Act 2004 = Gay and lesbian couples allowed to have civil partnerships and also allowed these couples to adopt children (Supporting family diversity)

However they also introduced policies supporting conventional families.

- They gave employees the right to time off work for family reasons
    - They introduced a Working Families Tax Credit which helped with the finances of families.

New Right (governments of Margaret Thatcher and John Major):

- They changed the taxation policies so that cohabiting couples could no longer claim more on tax allowances than married couples. (supporting the conventional nuclear family)

However:
    - They made divorce easier to obtain in 1984 though liberal divorce laws
    - They gave illegitimate children the same rights as those born withing marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyWatts)

- Divorce Reform Act 1969 = Made divorce much easier to obtain, gave women more choice to leave their oppressive husbands, leads to an increase in lone parent families and re-constituted families.

- Equal Pay Act 1970 = Gives women (and men) a right to equal pay at work for equal work, Decline in patriarchal families (Supporting gender equality at work and indirectly to the family)

New Labour:

- Civil Partnership Act 2004 = Gay and lesbian couples allowed to have civil partnerships and also allowed these couples to adopt children (Supporting family diversity)

- They introduced a Working Families Tax Credit which helped with the finances of families.

- They changed the taxation policies so that cohabiting couples could no longer claim more on tax allowances than married couples. (supporting the conventional nuclear family)

However:
    - They gave illegitimate children the same rights as those born withing marriage.
    Thank-you

You are a life saver!
    Are you doing the exam as well?

ReputationRep:

New Labour:

However:
    Also do you mention the soviet union, one child policy and the nazi Germany policies that's in the AQA book.

ReputationRep:
    Also do you mention the soviet union, one child policy and the nazi Germany policies that's in the AQA book.
    Oh yeah its always good to mention any of those too ^^

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you

You are a life saver!
    Are you doing the exam as well?
    No problem I'm glad to help .
    Yeah I am ^^

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah its always good to mention any of those too ^^
    Ahhh I see thanks

ReputationRep:
    No problem I'm glad to help .
    Yeah I am ^^
    You revising everything?

ReputationRep:
    You revising everything?
    Well I'm revising the several topics that have a likely chance of coming up in the exam. I'm trying to revise a good range to increase my chances but I'm not revising everything as It will take too long and I've also got 3 other subjects to revise for. I'm also ruling out the specific topics and questions that came up last year.

For Family and Households I've revised: Domestic roles and relationships i.e division of labour, decision making and domestic violence. As well as Childhood, social policy, and family diversity.

For Education I'm revising: Class, Ethnicity, Education, and also labelling, policies + education market and Class + policies which are likely to come up.

I'm trying to revise all of research methods, but the ones I'm focusing on are questionnaires, unstructured interviews and personal + historical documents as these are the most likely to come up.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm revising the several topics that have a likely chance of coming up in the exam. I'm trying to revise a good range to increase my chances but I'm not revising everything as It will take too long and I've also got 3 other subjects to revise for. I'm also ruling out the specific topics and questions that came up last year.

For Family and Households I've revised: Domestic roles and relationships i.e division of labour, decision making and domestic violence. As well as Childhood, social policy, and family diversity.

For Education I'm revising: Class, Ethnicity, Education, and also labelling, policies + education market and Class + policies which are likely to come up.

I'm trying to revise all of research methods, but the ones I'm focusing on are questionnaires, unstructured interviews and personal + historical documents as these are the most likely to come up.
    Ahhh that seems smart
    I would leave family diversity and demography and revise the rest!
    Those two came up last year and I doubt they will come up again tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they did come up so I'll just leave them as they're unlikely to come up again ^^

Methods in context questions can be quite annoying tbh

ReputationRep:

I might do the same! How do you know what's likely to come up?

ReputationRep:
    hey there

would you recommend a certain way of revising as no matter what I do, I can never remember the names and dates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roisin Giles)
    would you recommend a certain way of revising as no matter what I do, I can never remember the names and dates!
    Flash cards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmawitherspoon)
    I might do the same! How do you know what's likely to come up?
    Well by looking at all the past papers of an exam, organizing each essay question that has come up for each year into a grid, you can figure out a sort of pattern and also see what hasn't come up at all, hasn't come up in a long time or scarcely comes up at all. And also my teacher has told me her predictions. They're just predictions, so they just give you an idea of which topics to prioritize but there is a possibility that something unexpected comes up so prepare for anything really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2016

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.