Weston College University Centre FAQ!

Watch
UniCentreWeston
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone!

My name's Aislinn and I'm the Official Rep for the University Centre at Weston College. I'm here to answer any of your questions about our courses and student life.

I thought I'd start with a short FAQ of questions that have been asked by our previous applicants (or their parents!) at one time or another!

What is a Foundation Degree?

Most of the qualifications we offer are Foundation Degrees.

A Foundation Degree is a strongly vocational degree qualification which combines academic study with work place learning. Our degrees are designed in consultation with employers to equip students with relevant skills, knowledge and understanding to achieve academic results as well as improve performance and productivity in the work place.

A Foundation Degree is equivalent to two thirds of a full Honours degree (level 4 and 5) and is flexible to allow students to study part-time or full-time to fit their needs. A full-time Foundation Degree usually takes two years to complete, and part-time may take longer.

Our Foundation Degrees are accredited by two local universities - Bath Spa University and the University of the West of England.

Can I still get a full Honours degree if I start with a Foundation Degree?

Absolutely! To gain an Honours degree after completion of a Foundation Degree, you will need to apply to study what's called an Honours top-up. This is usually completed over one year part-time, so the total time studying is three years like with a normal degree! An Honours top-up year is usually more research-based and will require you to complete a dissertation or major work-based project - just like the final year of most normal three year degrees.

We currently offer 10 Honours top-up qualifications at Weston College, a number of which articulate from more than one Foundation Degree. For example, our BA (Hons) Business Management with Sustainability top-up can be studied by anyone who completed a management-related Foundation Degree, including our own Foundation Degrees in Animal Management, Equine Management, Business with Management and Tourism Management.

What are the fees and how do they compare with similar courses?

Our tuition fees are between £6000 and £7500 a year, which compares very favourably with other universities! The usual Student Finance is available to cover these costs, and we have a number of bursaries and scholarships available as well.

Are most of the students local?

Lots of our students are local, but we have students from all over the UK and a number of international students living in our accommodation! Around 50% of our student body comes from outside the area.

What qualifications count towards an offer of a place on a Foundation Degree?

We would accept most qualifications that are attributed with a UCAS tariff, as well as some that do not attract a UCAS tariff such as the Access to Higher Education Diploma and NVQ Level 3. We may also specify A Levels, BTEC or equivalent within the offer, and in this case, other qualifications cannot be counted in lieu of these. We also look very closely at your personal statement, references and experience.

If you have any other questions, please reply to this thread and I will respond as soon as possible. I can provide information about any aspect of student life at Weston College including:

- Course information
- Student finance
- Accommodation options
- Freshers' Week
- Extra opportunities e.g. student ambassadors and course reps
- Welfare and support, including DSA information
- What to put in your personal statement
- Interview and portfolio preparation
- Open and taster days

Look forward to chatting with you all soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads