Scroll to see replies

Original post by Padraig14
Where exactly did you apply to?

Barts, Manchester, Keele and St George
Original post by Rickstahhh
Barts, Manchester, Keele and St George

Okay thank you for the help kind sir
Reply 42
Im really worried that I will have a lower chance in applying for Medicine because of my gcse grades:

I got 2 A* 5 A and 4 B
A* in maths
A in core science
B in eng language and double science

If I achieve good grades at a levels, would that give me a chance to apply for Medicine?
Original post by 10Jam01
Im really worried that I will have a lower chance in applying for Medicine because of my gcse grades:

I got 2 A* 5 A and 4 B
A* in maths
A in core science
B in eng language and double science

If I achieve good grades at a levels, would that give me a chance to apply for Medicine?

I got in with 1 A* , 8 As and 2 Bs at GCSE.
So, if you do well at A levels and get a good UKCAT plus some work experience you should be fine.
However, you will have to apply strategically and to your strengths!
Original post by chocbrownie
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out a bit here :P
I have a bit of a complicated situation, I completed my GCSES in 2012, then I moved countries and came back a year later to start my A-Levels in 2013. I completed my A-levels in 2015 achieving A*A*B (in chem, bio and RS respectively). I'm currently on a gap year retaking my RS exam to achieve an A/A*. So basically... I was wondering if the uni would think i've taken 3 years to do my GCSE's even though I did them over a two year period, because I had a gap year after them? Or would they think I've had a 4 year period to complete my A-Levels again even though I've done them over a two year period (well techinically 3 when I resit my RS) So basically:

GCSES= 2010-2012
Year out= 2012-2013
AS levels= 2013-2014
A-Levels= 2014-2016 (by retaking RS this summer)

:confused:I don't think I've done a very good job explaining that haha but if anyone could help that would be really appreciated, thanks :smile:

No, they won't think that you completed your GCSEs in three years or your A Levels in four because UCAS asks you to declare information about when you completed each of your GCSEs and they will be able to see that you completed your GCSEs in the standard time (start indicated by your age at the time and end indicated by the date of qualification/date you left your GCSE school). They are also able to check with exam boards, I think, which is how they catch people who lie about these things.

They will also have this information for your A Levels and hence know that you took two years to complete them and will have taken three by the time you're done with your resits. They might want to know why you took the gap year so make sure to check with them beforehand whether this information is necessary to include in your reference (as that is where it will need to go if required).

This is a medicine-related thread so I presume you'll be applying for medicine. Your choices are limited as the vast majority of medical schools do not accept applications from people taking more than two years to complete their A Levels (more information to be found here although always check with the universities themselves just in case their policies have changed).

Your current grades stand you in good stead though -- most universities that do accept resit applicants without extenuating circumstances or reflection on the need to resit ask for a minimum of AAB or ABB at the first attempt depending on the university. The only exception is Exeter, who don't disadvantage resit applicants regardless of how much time they've taken to get the grades or what the original grades were. You've missed the deadline for this year but you can apply for 2017 entry to places like Keele (who would accept your current grades as well because they allow for the offer to be met with either AAA or A*AB), Exeter, Liverpool, BSMS, UEA, Plymouth and a few others. Good luck. :smile:
Original post by chocbrownie
Thank you so much for replying. Your post has been really helpful- and has answered all of my questions! I feel a lot better about my situation :smile:

No worries. :smile:
My prediction is that at the end of year 11 I will achieve a A in maths, core science, and maybe additional. I can get B in English so no worries there :smile:
I'm guessing that I will get at least a b in computing and business and a A in history. I already got a A in RS. After gcse I'm going to do a-level biology, chemistry, maths and maybe physics. I was wondering is this enough to get into a good medical school? If yes which ones.
Original post by AlexisSanchez1
My prediction is that at the end of year 11 I will achieve a A in maths, core science, and maybe additional. I can get B in English so no worries there :smile:
I'm guessing that I will get at least a b in computing and business and a A in history. I already got a A in RS. After gcse I'm going to do a-level biology, chemistry, maths and maybe physics. I was wondering is this enough to get into a good medical school? If yes which ones.

You only need to take chemistry and biology to meet the A Level requirements of all UK medical schools except Cambridge. Your other subjects need to be subjects that you enjoy and can get high grades in (provided that they're not General Studies or Critical Thinking, which aren't expected). Nothing more, nothing less.

There's a lot of bad advice around about how universities 'secretly' prefer applicants who take maths or who take the three sciences plus maths -- that's all rubbish. Only take maths or physics if you enjoy them and can do well in them; you won't be disadvantaged for not having taken them (unless you have a burning desire to apply to Cambridge...) so don't be pressured into taking them just to look 'smarter' or some other nonsense of that sort.

Also, I suggest that you focus on doing as well as possible in your GCSEs right now. Regarding the bold text: what do you mean 'maybe additional?' I'm pretty sure that most UK medical schools require at least double science so you'll need to be taking, at the very least, both core and additional science. (Apologies if what you meant was that you could 'maybe' get an A in additional -- in which case I would say that you try hard to get an A in it so that you meet the requirements of more medical schools).

You don't seem to have done much research on this, so I recommend you have a good read of the medicine wiki, all the while bearing in mind that some of the information is out of date: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
i want to take another subject (IGCSE) in the upcoming may/june examinations , in order to increase the number of the subjects i have taken in IGCSEs i only have 6 subjects now (taken in may/june 2015) ._. , 2A*(chemistry and biology), 2As,(physics and math) B in english language, C in arts and design. i want to take child development in the upcoming may/june, i thought it could be good to show a broad choice of subjects maybe? and would it be a problem that they are not in the same session??
i have already started my A Levels, so i dont want to take a very challenging subject that would take my focus of my A level subjects.
any ideas anyone?

P.S:International applicant
Does anyone know the requirements in the new 9-1 grading system? By the time I apply for uni the A*-U system won't be used anymore.
Original post by diamantes
Does anyone know the requirements in the new 9-1 grading system? By the time I apply for uni the A*-U system won't be used anymore.

Medical schools will probably make it clear in time for the changes.
So I think i might want to do Medicine at university:
I'm doing my GCSEs this summer (I know still a long time until I have to decide) but I've just got my mocks back and I got:
A*:Physics,Biology,Russian,History
A:Maths and Eng Lan
B:Chemistry and Eng Lit
Still don't have my Geography back.
and I already have an A* in my real french exam.
With results a bit like this could I get a place at a good medical school.
Original post by Gormenghast
So I think i might want to do Medicine at university:
I'm doing my GCSEs this summer (I know still a long time until I have to decide) but I've just got my mocks back and I got:
A*:Physics,Biology,Russian,History
A:Maths and Eng Lan
B:Chemistry and Eng Lit
Still don't have my Geography back.
and I already have an A* in my real french exam.
With results a bit like this could I get a place at a good medical school.

All UK medical schools are good by definition.

Yes, you could, but you'd need to avoid the GCSE-heavy schools like Cardiff, Birmingham and Oxford. You should aim to do as well as you can, rather than aiming to get X number of A*s and As.

When the time comes to apply, your real GCSE results will form only one part of your application and you would need to apply strategically based on your UKCAT score and AS grades (if you have them).
Original post by Hydeman
All UK medical schools are good by definition.

Yes, you could, but you'd need to avoid the GCSE-heavy schools like Cardiff, Birmingham and Oxford. You should aim to do as well as you can, rather than aiming to get X number of A*s and As.

When the time comes to apply, your real GCSE results will form only one part of your application and you would need to apply strategically based on your UKCAT score and AS grades (if you have them).

Thanks
Original post by behsheedx
i only did 6 subjects in IGCSEs (may/ june 2015) :s-smilie:
my results are:
A* in chemistry and Biology
A in Physics and Math
B in English first Language
C in Art

i've already started my A levels (july 2015 intake).do you guys think i should take 2 more subjects (maybe in oct/nov , dont know if registration is still open :frown: ) just to make sure i have enough subjects? and what subjects would be a good option?

i personally think you have marvalous grades and i dont think you need to but if you do want to take grade take geography or health and social , sociology , language
I achieved 6A*s and 4As at GCSE and I am predicted AAAA in AS exams. Are my GCSEs high enough for a chance at Birmingham, Cardiff or Oxford?
Original post by Oscar1602
I achieved 6A*s and 4As at GCSE and I am predicted AAAA in AS exams. Are my GCSEs high enough for a chance at Birmingham, Cardiff or Oxford?

At a stretch, you might be good for Cardiff if applying in a gap year (they use a points-based system which also takes into account achieved A Level grades), but Birmingham and Oxford are the two medical schools that care a lot about A*s at GCSE (especially the latter, since it uses number of A*s as well as proportion of A*s), so I'd say it's unlikely. For Oxford, if you can smash the BMAT (no easy task), then you may have a chance.
Original post by Hydeman
At a stretch, you might be good for Cardiff if applying in a gap year (they use a points-based system which also takes into account achieved A Level grades), but Birmingham and Oxford are the two medical schools that care a lot about A*s at GCSE (especially the latter, since it uses number of A*s as well as proportion of A*s), so I'd say it's unlikely. For Oxford, if you can smash the BMAT (no easy task), then you may have a chance.

Okay thanks a lot. What medical schools would you suggest (assuming that I get AAAA at AS and a solid (not amazing) performance in the UKCAT / BMAT?
Original post by Oscar1602
Okay thanks a lot. What medical schools would you suggest (assuming that I get AAAA at AS and a solid (not amazing) performance in the UKCAT / BMAT?

It's difficult to suggest medical schools because the changes made to accommodate the A Level reforms might very well make any advice redundant.

Assuming that current admission policies are retained, if you can get predicted A*A*A* in your A Levels and can get a decent UKCAT score, Exeter would be a good shot. If you've got a great personal statement, then Bristol. Depending on your BMAT performance (which you can't know before applying, so it's better to apply to no more than one or two BMAT schools), Imperial College, UCL, and Cambridge might be within reach.

There's a very outdated article on deciding where to apply that you can have a look at, but bear in mind that some of it is definitely out of date (e.g. it states that Liverpool doesn't require the UKCAT; it does now): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths. It's mostly right in ballpark terms, though.

Also, remember that you should balance your chances with where you actually want to go in terms of course structure, the city, etc. You don't want to apply to places where the course structure is not to your liking, because you'll be stuck with it for five years.
Original post by Hydeman
It's difficult to suggest medical schools because the changes made to accommodate the A Level reforms might very well make any advice redundant.

Assuming that current admission policies are retained, if you can get predicted A*A*A* in your A Levels and can get a decent UKCAT score, Exeter would be a good shot. If you've got a great personal statement, then Bristol. Depending on your BMAT performance (which you can't know before applying, so it's better to apply to no more than one or two BMAT schools), Imperial College, UCL, and Cambridge might be within reach.

There's a very outdated article on deciding where to apply that you can have a look at, but bear in mind that some of it is definitely out of date (e.g. it states that Liverpool doesn't require the UKCAT; it does now): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths. It's mostly right in ballpark terms, though.

Also, remember that you should balance your chances with where you actually want to go in terms of course structure, the city, etc. You don't want to apply to places where the course structure is not to your liking, because you'll be stuck with it for five years.

Cheers. That's really useful. Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending