The Student Room Group

Article: Medical school GCSE requirements

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska
Wait and see what results you get. :smile:

Thank you for the positive comment :biggrin:
Original post by rehmanator
you would be at a disadvantage to someone with eg 8A* but nevertheless you can still do it!

Haha thanks :smile:
Original post by Year11Struggles
You haven't even got your results yet

Calm down

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry 😅
Original post by NAP1029
Don't worry just yet you might be pleasantly surprised tomorrow 😀 , if not then I'm sure if you apply tactically to unis and have a good ukcat or bmat then you should be fine! A lot of unis also care more about your personal statement than others also so just try to make that strong as well!

Thank you for the great advise - really helped cheer me up :biggrin:
Reply 84
If you're not too fussy about university then yeah, have a look at Leeds, you might also be eligible for a reduced entry requirement under their Access to Leeds scheme. Sorry to say this but the top universities aren't even worth applying to.
Reply 85
Original post by Beska
Wait and see what results you get. :smile:

hey, is graduate medicine still possible for me?

Rn im doing a masters a uni and really enjoying it.
my gcses were 6*s and 5as
however, my a levels were awful with A*, b, d, d, e (did five).
Reply 86
Original post by lsa1
hey, is graduate medicine still possible for me?

Rn im doing a masters a uni and really enjoying it.
my gcses were 6*s and 5as
however, my a levels were awful with A*, b, d, d, e (did five).

Yeh it's still a possibility - take a look at the medicine FAQ here and you'll find a page about GEM and requirements. :smile:
As I predicted, mostly B's

ENG LANG: B
MATH: A
SPANISH: B (REALLY HAPPY )
BIOLOGY: B
CHEMISTRY: A*
PHYSICS: B
HISTORY: B
SOCIOLGY: A
ENG LIT: B
Reply 88
Is there a similar thread for law?
Original post by safaa7
Is there a similar thread for law?

Not that I know of, but try the Law FAQs thread. If that doesn't help, you can create a new thread about your query in the Law forum.
I'm really disappointed with my results. I got 3As, 5Bs and a C. I've always done so much better in my mocks. I'm considering getting the C remarked. Can someone help me and please direct me in the right path? :frown: Thanks
someone please help
Reply 92
as long as your AS' are good and you go for good experience then I can't imagine why you won't get considered. You can't change them now, so focus on doing well with AS, do as much experience as possible, and aim for your goals. Study hard, work hard, but also just know that everything works out fine in the end. Just do your best and learn from your mistake - GCSEs really aren't the be all and end all. As long as your AS are better you should be fine.
Most companies and universities don't actually look at GCSE's after you have done A-levels or got a degree, apart from having 5 passes (which you have). They sometimes might require certain grades for english and maths too, but it usually isn't worth sweating over. Work hard in your AS's (which is what universitys look at when they choose who to give offers to) and then get those grades in A2, and you will be fine :smile: (also there is usually little point in getting the C remarked, unless it's something important like English/Maths or something that for you is important (like biology). If it's something like french or art, which you are never going to come across again in life anyways, then save the risk of having to pay)

Hope this helps and I don't sound too mean :/

Aaron
Original post by aaron--walker
Most companies and universities don't actually look at GCSE's after you have done A-levels or got a degree, apart from having 5 passes (which you have). They sometimes might require certain grades for english and maths too, but it usually isn't worth sweating over. Work hard in your AS's (which is what universitys look at when they choose who to give offers to) and then get those grades in A2, and you will be fine :smile: (also there is usually little point in getting the C remarked, unless it's something important like English/Maths or something that for you is important (like biology). If it's something like french or art, which you are never going to come across again in life anyways, then save the risk of having to pay)

Hope this helps and I don't sound too mean :/

Aaron

For medicine things are a little different than for most courses, a lot of universities have minimum requirements for GCSE grades when it comes to medicine, this usually means you are required to get Bs in English Language, the Sciences and Maths as a minimum (some schools required higher). But these are the minimum and do not guarantee entry into any of these schools, often much higher is required for this.

Medicine is a competitive course where the average applicant has 6A* grades at GCSE, and considering roughly 60% of applicants get no offers each year, it can be very much about applying to schools which you stand out at rather than the ones you like the look of.
GCSE heavy schools for you will have to be avoided, for example Oxford like a very high % and number of A*s at GCSE, Cardiff have had a cut off score for interview of 8A* 1A in the past few years. It is also important to note many medical schools place a lot of emphasis on the number of A* grades attained, and because this is your downfall it is important to avoid these places... BUT IT ISNT ALL OVER!

There are some medical schools which have very low GCSE requirements, (grade Bs in the core subjects etc.) so you will have a chance of getting in! These schools often require very high BMAT and UKCAT scores though so make sure you are focussed on preparing for those tests well in advance of sitting them to avoid being left with nowhere to apply.
Hope this helps x
I achieved 6A*s and 3As and two are getting remarked which are one mark off
All depends on your AS and A2. They are good enough, however, GCSE's aren't very important during the application process.
Reply 97
Yes they are! I got in with 5A* and 5A :smile: these are not good enough for a couple of med schools, but all the others would be absolutely fine - so long as the other parts of your application are also strong.
Reply 98
Original post by shotwell
All depends on your AS and A2. They are good enough, however, GCSE's aren't very important during the application process.

I'd slightly disagree here. Some med schools (Oxford, Cardiff) place heavy reliance on GCSEs- and others will use it as a significant factor in a point scoring system (Nottingham, Sheffield). However, you would be right to say that other parts of the application could easily compensate.
- sorry if my examples are a tad out of date, since I'm not a current applicant
Original post by Ezme39
I'd slightly disagree here. Some med schools (Oxford, Cardiff) place heavy reliance on GCSEs- and others will use it as a significant factor in a point scoring system (Nottingham, Sheffield). However, you would be right to say that other parts of the application could easily compensate.
- sorry if my examples are a tad out of date, since I'm not a current applicant

I have to agree, that's my mistake. Oxford and few others are partially based on GCSE's, whilst the rest really is not, but you have the point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending