Draco Dormiens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Please help! I will be starting year 13 soon and I chose my choices for next year as:
A level chemistry
A level english
A level mathematics
AS level Spanish (crashing it)

However, I am not sure whether to change now! I thought I wanted to do languages at university because I took A level French this year. Yet now, I am realising my love for biology and the earth sciences and I wonder… Should I change? I have to decide quite soon because I need to inform the school if I change my mind. Also, I feel as if I am destined to be doing a career in an office 24/7 if I do languages. I love them and I am good at them, the first in my school to do it a year early, yet I think I am starting to prefer the sciences and I truly love biology and earth sciences, as I mentioned earlier. The question is, should I do A level maths, chemistry and biology instead and apply for marine biology/biological sciences/geology at university and just learn a language in my free time? It is just the fact that I know that when I make my choices final, there is no going back. Do you think I sound like I want to change?
Cal-lum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I was you I'd go down the science route if your heart is set on it, but don't be put off just by a few negative thoughts about languages. A degree in languages is a very versatile degree.

But taking chem/bio/maths would set you up for most Bio-like degrees and nearly all universities offer languages at varying levels alongside degree courses (so you could keep your languages going whilst doing a science degree and have the perks of both at the end of it).
Draco Dormiens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Cal-lum)
If I was you I'd go down the science route if your heart is set on it, but don't be put off just by a few negative thoughts about languages. A degree in languages is a very versatile degree.

But taking chem/bio/maths would set you up for most Bio-like degrees and nearly all universities offer languages at varying levels alongside degree courses (so you could keep your languages going whilst doing a science degree and have the perks of both at the end of it).
Do you think I could still get into mostly similar careers (except obviously things like interpreting and translating) to languages graduates if I did a law conversion course for post-grad if for some reason I changed my mind later in the course?

But thank you so much, you have been so very helpful! I really appreciate your neutral perspective upon my query. I have to admit that I am leaning towards the sciences route now…
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Draco Dormiens)
Please help! I will be starting year 13 soon and I chose my choices for next year as:
A level chemistry
A level english
A level mathematics
AS level Spanish (crashing it)

However, I am not sure whether to change now! I thought I wanted to do languages at university because I took A level French this year. Yet now, I am realising my love for biology and the earth sciences and I wonder… Should I change? I have to decide quite soon because I need to inform the school if I change my mind. Also, I feel as if I am destined to be doing a career in an office 24/7 if I do languages. I love them and I am good at them, the first in my school to do it a year early, yet I think I am starting to prefer the sciences and I truly love biology and earth sciences, as I mentioned earlier. The question is, should I do A level maths, chemistry and biology instead and apply for marine biology/biological sciences/geology at university and just learn a language in my free time? It is just the fact that I know that when I make my choices final, there is no going back. Do you think I sound like I want to change?
You sound like you might want to change, yes.

Chem + bio + maths is very solid and leaves loads of options open.

I'm not clear - do you already have an A level in French? I would only pursue Spanish if you're sure you want to pursue languages.

English is not that useful for sciences or foreign language is it? So maybe do Bio, Chem, Maths and Spanish?

And as Cal-lum says, you can very often do a language as part of your science degree. You can't typically do biology as part of a language degree!
Cal-lum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Draco Dormiens)
Do you think I could still get into mostly similar careers (except obviously things like interpreting and translating) to languages graduates if I did a law conversion course for post-grad if for some reason I changed my mind later in the course?

But thank you so much, you have been so very helpful! I really appreciate your neutral perspective upon my query. I have to admit that I am leaning towards the sciences route now…
You could do either a science or language degree to do the GDL law conversion so that shouldn't really effect things. I'm sure you'll probably need a language degree to be an interpreter/translator though (not my field of expertise).

No worries at all, I'm at the same part of the journey as you and am constantly changing my mind too!! Any more questions or help needed just PM me or something
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.63%
I don't have everything I need (260)
44.37%

Watched Threads