?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
You can view the page at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...u-need-to-know
manmacy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have applied biomedical science at imperial college. But I got rejected. I want to get into imperial via adjustment but applying another course. Is it possible ??
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by manmacy)
I have applied biomedical science at imperial college. But I got rejected. I want to get into imperial via adjustment but applying another course. Is it possible ??
You can ring up about any course - whether it is possible will depend entirely on Imperial and how suitable you are.

Unfortunately the only way to find out is to ring them on Thursday.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Newcastle puts in a lot of effort into its Adjustment programmes. It should be listed; and it was definitely in Adjustment in 2014 because I got an offer in Adjustment from Newcastle in 2014.
Nina77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can I ask about adjustment vacancies to universities today?
also, is it possible to apply for a different course to my personal statement?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nina77)
Can I ask about adjustment vacancies to universities today?
also, is it possible to apply for a different course to my personal statement?
See the response to your other post asking these questions.
Elcor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Misleading picture: Pembroke doesn't do clearing
acc_moz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you now if anyone has been accepted via adjustment to Bristol uni ?
RozerinDogan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello I have a couple of questions:
Do you know if all universities in London offer adjustment and is it a few courses or all courses at that institution that can go through adjustment?
Also, let's say a university expected ABB, but I got BBB how lenient would they be? Would they be willing to still offer you a place if you go through adjustment? If it was for example City university or Royal Holloway?
Sorry for being so specific
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RozerinDogan)
Hello I have a couple of questions:
Do you know if all universities in London offer adjustment and is it a few courses or all courses at that institution that can go through adjustment?
Also, let's say a university expected ABB, but I got BBB how lenient would they be? Would they be willing to still offer you a place if you go through adjustment? If it was for example City university or Royal Holloway?
Sorry for being so specific
Adjustment is only available if you meet and exceed your firm offer.

If your offer asks for ABB and you get BBB then often you will still be accepted if the university has capacity and think you'll be able to succeed on the course. That isn't adjustment though and you wouldn't be able to use adjustment to apply elsewhere if you missed your firm offer.
Artjen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also, let's say a university expected ABB, but I got BBB how lenient would they be?
If a university's usual offer is ABB, and you have an offer for another university for BBC, and you get BBB, then you can use adjustment and try to get into the ABB university, if they still have places available.
RozerinDogan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Artjen)
If a university's usual offer is ABB, and you have an offer for another university for BBC, and you get BBB, then you can use adjustment and try to get into the ABB university, if they still have places available.
Another quick question please, why do some universities start clearing a couple of months before results day? Are we not support to go through this process on results day once we know our actual grades? x
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Another quick question please, why do some universities start clearing a couple of months before results day? Are we not support to go through this process on results day once we know our actual grades? x
Not all applicants take A levels. Other qualifications have earlier results days.
tedhat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Daughter has 4 offers - Exeter and Bristol (both AAB) and Lancaster and UEA (both unconditional if she firms)... however, she's predicted A*A*A and half wonders now whether she ought to rethink and apply somewhere else if she gets these high predicted grades. She applied to Oxford but didn't get an interview. Now wondering about maybe the London colleges, Durham etc etc. Looking at Biologicial Sciences or similar. I rang UCAS this morning to ask about this and they mentioned Extra etc (and the need to decline all offers if she went down this route) but didn't mention Adjustment, oddly! Trying to find out more about it... if she Firmed, say, Exeter... and exceeded the AAB, could she reject that on results day and try to get into an alternative, higher 'ranking' university (if there were any places, of course!)? Would the same apply if she had firmed one of the unconditionals? Very confused! She basically cannot decide - her focus is on her exams - she doesn't even seem terribly interested in Applicant Day visits - it's almost as though none of these four has hugely grabbed her, hence her wondering whether she ought to re-apply for more demanding places once she gets her results... Any advice much appreciated!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tedhat)
Daughter has 4 offers - Exeter and Bristol (both AAB) and Lancaster and UEA (both unconditional if she firms)... however, she's predicted A*A*A and half wonders now whether she ought to rethink and apply somewhere else if she gets these high predicted grades. She applied to Oxford but didn't get an interview. Now wondering about maybe the London colleges, Durham etc etc. Looking at Biologicial Sciences or similar. I rang UCAS this morning to ask about this and they mentioned Extra etc (and the need to decline all offers if she went down this route) but didn't mention Adjustment, oddly! Trying to find out more about it... if she Firmed, say, Exeter... and exceeded the AAB, could she reject that on results day and try to get into an alternative, higher 'ranking' university (if there were any places, of course!)? Would the same apply if she had firmed one of the unconditionals? Very confused! She basically cannot decide - her focus is on her exams - she doesn't even seem terribly interested in Applicant Day visits - it's almost as though none of these four has hugely grabbed her, hence her wondering whether she ought to re-apply for more demanding places once she gets her results... Any advice much appreciated!
In adjustment you don't "reject" you firm - you keep your firm but can also approach other universities to "trade up". The risks with adjustment come with the timescales - applicants have only 7 calendar days to find a place in adjustment and because it's late that can mean that applicants end up without any good choices of accommodation. It's an option but it can be a very stressful option - if it's something your daughter is considering then I'd recommend going to open days for the universities she's considering in the summer and doing some good thorough research around possible other options so that any decisions in the short timescale are well informed and thought through.

If she firm an unconditional offer then she would not be able to use adjustment. It's still impossible for an applicant in that situation to REQUEST their firm university to place them into clearing but unlike adjustment that requires an applicant to sacrifice their firm place (and UCAS discourage other universities from speaking to applicants who are firm elsewhere - so it can be a very risky option).

If non of her 4 offers appeals then she can reject them and apply via Extra when it opens in March - it may be worth looking to see if any of the universities she's considering are open in Extra (biological sciences is generally quite prominent in extra/clearing because they pick up a large number of excellent applicants who have failed to get a medicine place).

The ideal option is to take a gap year after her results if she does as well as predicted and reapply to 5 new choices with the time and experience to make a better choice this time.
tedhat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
In adjustment you don't "reject" you firm - you keep your firm but can also approach other universities to "trade up". The risks with adjustment come with the timescales - applicants have only 7 calendar days to find a place in adjustment and because it's late that can mean that applicants end up without any good choices of accommodation. It's an option but it can be a very stressful option - if it's something your daughter is considering then I'd recommend going to open days for the universities she's considering in the summer and doing some good thorough research around possible other options so that any decisions in the short timescale are well informed and thought through.

If she firm an unconditional offer then she would not be able to use adjustment. It's still impossible for an applicant in that situation to REQUEST their firm university to place them into clearing but unlike adjustment that requires an applicant to sacrifice their firm place (and UCAS discourage other universities from speaking to applicants who are firm elsewhere - so it can be a very risky option).

If non of her 4 offers appeals then she can reject them and apply via Extra when it opens in March - it may be worth looking to see if any of the universities she's considering are open in Extra (biological sciences is generally quite prominent in extra/clearing because they pick up a large number of excellent applicants who have failed to get a medicine place).

The ideal option is to take a gap year after her results if she does as well as predicted and reapply to 5 new choices with the time and experience to make a better choice this time.
Thanks for this.... much appreciated, and advice re open days elsewhere is worth her considering, especially as exams will all be over and life will be calmer!. So, am I right in thinking, if she firms one of her unconditionals, she has to stick with that or, I guess, can reject it after results, abandon the plan to head off this Sept and re-apply to five, with known results, next Autumn... Or, she could firm, say, Exeter, which is conditional, and then go into Adjustment, potentially (or, again, reject that after results and re-apply in the Autumn). Have I got that right? Or... as you say, go into Extra by rejecting all 4.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tedhat)
Thanks for this.... much appreciated, and advice re open days elsewhere is worth her considering, especially as exams will all be over and life will be calmer!. So, am I right in thinking, if she firms one of her unconditionals, she has to stick with that or, I guess, can reject it after results, abandon the plan to head off this Sept and re-apply to five, with known results, next Autumn... Or, she could firm, say, Exeter, which is conditional, and then go into Adjustment, potentially (or, again, reject that after results and re-apply in the Autumn). Have I got that right? Or... as you say, go into Extra by rejecting all 4.
If she firms an unconditional offer then she would not be able to use adjustment. It's still impossible for an applicant in that situation to REQUEST their firm university to place them into clearing but unlike adjustment that requires an applicant to sacrifice their firm place (and UCAS discourage other universities from speaking to applicants who are firm elsewhere - so it can be a very risky option).

If she firms a conditional offer then exceeds the grades of that offer she could use adjustment.

If that doesn't appeal then the other option is a gap year and applying to 5 choices from scratch.

She's got until May to pick firm/insurance choices. She needs to USE that time well to make the best decision for her.

I'd recommend looking in March to see what options are available in Extra and exploring options for a gap year (including going to open days in June/July). And hope that some of that research results in a definite "THIS ONE".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (78)
14.08%
I'm not sure (24)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
31.95%
I have already dropped out (11)
1.99%
I'm not a current university student (264)
47.65%

Watched Threads