University after changing sixth form?

Watch
person3867
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay so I'm coming up to the end of my lower sixth year and withdrew myself from my current sixth form last week, for reasons I don't intend to discuss. I had been there since prep 5, so that was my eighth year. I'm looking at attending another sixth form next year, either another private one or the local one.
My GCSE's were all A's and A*'s and I'm predicted all A's for my four AS's (English Lit, Geog, Politics and Philosophy), thus, am expecting A's and A*'s at A2.
I have plenty of positive things to write on my personal statement, from rowing at Henley Women's Regatta to regularly volunteering with the local MP, as well as good work experience at both the House of Commons and a top law firm in London. I have also attended all the appropriate societies to complement my application for the particular course, such as debating and MUN.
I'm intending to apply to do a degree in Law and Law, Politics and Philosophy at uni's such as Kings College, Durham, etc. which I understand are competitive courses- entry requirements are all A*AA
What I'm wondering is, will I still be able to get into one of my chosen universities despite moving sixth forms part way through the A level course? I know it looks really odd to do so at such a time, however given the circumstances, it was the right thing for me to do. Will this hinder me massively or should a good set of grades and personal statement be enough to help me out, as much as they would have been had I not moved?
username1500433
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see why it would be a problem. It is possible to switch exam boards although I believe it can be a little fiddly. Maybe consider getting a reference from your current school as you will have only been at your new school for a couple of months.
person3867
Rep:
?
Yeah I've got a few potential places with the same exam boards so that should be okay- it's just the university part that's worrying me! I also thought that about the reference so thank you, it seems the better way to go- will they be able to do that, do you reckon?
midgemeister7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As long as the reason is understandable it'll be absolutely fine
person3867
Rep:
?
Okay that's great- thank you! Has really put my mind at rest haha
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by person3867)
Are you taking AS next year and applying the year after while taking A2s or are you taking full A-levels and applying next year?

The first has no issues at all, provided that you can get good grades.
For the second, you might find a bit of difficulty because you don't have AS grades and your teachers won't have known you long enough to make good predictions or a good reference. However I still think it's not unlikely that you'll get offers.
person3867
Rep:
?
I was going to take AS's this year and A2's next year, just somewhere else? And I know I'll get good enough grades- just whether or not the fact I moved matters?
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by person3867)
Okay so I'm coming up to the end of my lower sixth year and withdrew myself from my current sixth form last week, for reasons I don't intend to discuss. I had been there since prep 5, so that was my eighth year. I'm looking at attending another sixth form next year, either another private one or the local one.
My GCSE's were all A's and A*'s and I'm predicted all A's for my four AS's (English Lit, Geog, Politics and Philosophy), thus, am expecting A's and A*'s at A2.
I have plenty of positive things to write on my personal statement, from rowing at Henley Women's Regatta to regularly volunteering with the local MP, as well as good work experience at both the House of Commons and a top law firm in London. I have also attended all the appropriate societies to complement my application for the particular course, such as debating and MUN.
I'm intending to apply to do a degree in Law and Law, Politics and Philosophy at uni's such as Kings College, Durham, etc. which I understand are competitive courses- entry requirements are all A*AA
What I'm wondering is, will I still be able to get into one of my chosen universities despite moving sixth forms part way through the A level course? I know it looks really odd to do so at such a time, however given the circumstances, it was the right thing for me to do. Will this hinder me massively or should a good set of grades and personal statement be enough to help me out, as much as they would have been had I not moved?

I know a person who dropped out of sixthform not long ago and now does an apprentecship so you are clearly not the only one.

I think you will be fine as long as you get the grades and are intending to study law and not medicine.

You should also seek a careers advisor.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed