Reply 40
I'm a first year IB-er and I take:

HL English Lit
HL French
HL Economics
SL Maths
SL Physics
SL Art

Feel free to dm or whatever if you'd like to talk about anything! I have friends have well who have just finished IB and others who are at uni post IB :smile:

HL Englisb Lit at the moment is really not that much work at all, but we have presentations coming up. Also the number of texts you do really looks more scary than it actually is. So far, we've gotten through eight of our texts :smile:

HL French (the content is exactly the same across all language B's) for me at first was difficult because it's just so different from what I did at GCSE but it's so much more enjoyable and freeing. There are no really specific word counts for writing (there are word counts but they are pretty flexible) and everything relates back to the culture of France and francophone countries, so I've found it really quite fascinating.
Original post by MSJKSP
Really good thanks! although I just hate how much there is to learn for biology in comparison to the other subjects... I love philosophy although I'm worried that I won't be able to write decent essays in the time as the exams are pretty short for what you have to do! I take it you do Philpsophy too because of your username?:wink:

Yep :biggrin: Can't stand biology but Chemistry is supposed to be up there with Maths hl in difficulty. I thought you get 2 hours+ for philosophy?
Original post by emilys7
I'm a first year IB-er and I take:

HL English Lit
HL French
HL Economics
SL Maths
SL Physics
SL Art

Feel free to dm or whatever if you'd like to talk about anything! I have friends have well who have just finished IB and others who are at uni post IB :smile:

HL Englisb Lit at the moment is really not that much work at all, but we have presentations coming up. Also the number of texts you do really looks more scary than it actually is. So far, we've gotten through eight of our texts :smile:

HL French (the content is exactly the same across all language B's) for me at first was difficult because it's just so different from what I did at GCSE but it's so much more enjoyable and freeing. There are no really specific word counts for writing (there are word counts but they are pretty flexible) and everything relates back to the culture of France and francophone countries, so I've found it really quite fascinating.

I really can't do 8 books. I'm just hoping I get a good teacher you can make it more enjoyable.

Do you know what's different about sl languages? I wouldn't mind learning about Spanish culture.
Reply 43
Original post by Déscartés
Yep :biggrin: Can't stand biology but Chemistry is supposed to be up there with Maths hl in difficulty. I thought you get 2 hours+ for philosophy?

Personally I find chemistry one of my easiest subjects! because once you've got your head round the concepts you don't have to revise that much. Yeah, 2.5 hours to write 3 essays of at least 800 words each
Reply 44
I really can't do 8 books. I'm just hoping I get a good teacher you can make it more enjoyable.

Do you know what's different about sl languages? I wouldn't mind learning about Spanish culture.

For SL English Lit. Think overall it's 11 or 12 novels/plays, but unlike GCSE you don't study all of them in detail. There are 4 topics the books cover: Drama Texts, Texts in Translation, Oral Presentation and Presentation. As a SL class, we did the Presentation texts first. In our school, lessons are spread over a two week timetable with five hourly lessons each day. SL have 5 hours over two weeks, whereas HL have 7 hours of lessons. We literally spent two and a half weeks in SL for one of texts for the presentation :smile: Depending on which ones you like be, you can spend more time on the texts you like :smile:

For SL Languages, the main difference comes in the exams. For the reading paper, SL have 4 texts to do over an hour and a half, whereas HL have to do 5. Also for the writing paper, HL have 2 writing tasks (creative piece such as a blog post and an argument), whilst SL just have one piece to do over an hour and a half (the creative piece). Also at HL, you study literature (but the texts aren't huge!) but at SL you don't :smile: In French, we've researched various cultures in various french speaking countries, general information about France itself and it's cultures (It really is fascinating - for me anyway and when we do writing pieces for practice for the writing exam, having this cultural knowledge can really boost your mark :smile: )

Hope this helps!
Original post by MSJKSP
Personally I find chemistry one of my easiest subjects! because once you've got your head round the concepts you don't have to revise that much. Yeah, 2.5 hours to write 3 essays of at least 800 words each

I looked at the syllabus and the early stuff looked alright but the later stuff looked really hard.

That's a lot to write tbf. Also a long time sitting in silence.
Reply 46
I forgot to mention in my post, but feel free to message me with any questions about the IB (if you didn't see my post, I've just wrapped up my first year of the Diploma). I went to a fully IB school for 7 years and my brother's completed the Diploma so I have quite a bit of experience!
Original post by apoorvahk
From a current IB2 student - English SL honestly isn't that bad, but you just have to work hard! Try to do your best on coursework, because the exams could go either way. Don't take the IOP and IOC lightly, and just because it's SL doesn't mean you can 'slack off' (which is a common misconception in my school). Economics HL is really interesting - probably my favourite HL out of the ones I take.

I have to agree with you for English, I currently take SL (IB1) and its great if you don't slack.

Economics HL is amazing! May I ask what other subjects you take? Or did take
Hey! I'm just finishing up my first year of the IB and these are my subjects:

HL:
Physics
Art
Psychology

SL:
English
Italian
Maths Studies

I am enjoying the IB generally with how it bonds everyone doing it tightly but it's such hard work and A-Levels get mad with that because they feel they can't complain with how hard IB is. I would say Physics and Art are the hardest subjects for me (especially since I do HL Physics and Maths Studies) but that's because I never understand what exam questions are asking for in Physics and Art just takes up your life if you want to do well. But you're not planning on taking them on for Highers so that's fine.

Also, Maths Standard is very hard. I originally took SL maths but dropped. Initially, there were around 14 of us taking SL Maths and now there are only 5. We found that despite Maths being SL, it took up way too much time with homework and effort put in. We were told that unless you're doing something mathematically based in the future, there's not much point because Studies is much easier and on your certificate it's listed as 'Maths Standard'.

My friends who take Philosophy are loving it so much but somehow it doesn't relate that much to TOK. I find that Psychology relates better to TOK than Philosophy. But yeah, it's a really good course so you should really enjoy it!

Finally, good choice taking English SL hahaha. So far in English I've read around 6 books (4 novels and 2 plays) and I love SL English, the books are interesting and at the moment we're reading 'Candide' by Voltaire which is a laugh. In comparison to HL English, they have to learn 70 poems off by heart and know pretty much everything about them for the exam.

Sorry this is long, I find it a bit too easy to write at length hahaha :/
Original post by xenopheanis
Hey! I'm just finishing up my first year of the IB and these are my subjects:

HL:
Physics
Art
Psychology

SL:
English
Italian
Maths Studies

I am enjoying the IB generally with how it bonds everyone doing it tightly but it's such hard work and A-Levels get mad with that because they feel they can't complain with how hard IB is. I would say Physics and Art are the hardest subjects for me (especially since I do HL Physics and Maths Studies) but that's because I never understand what exam questions are asking for in Physics and Art just takes up your life if you want to do well. But you're not planning on taking them on for Highers so that's fine.

Also, Maths Standard is very hard. I originally took SL maths but dropped. Initially, there were around 14 of us taking SL Maths and now there are only 5. We found that despite Maths being SL, it took up way too much time with homework and effort put in. We were told that unless you're doing something mathematically based in the future, there's not much point because Studies is much easier and on your certificate it's listed as 'Maths Standard'.

My friends who take Philosophy are loving it so much but somehow it doesn't relate that much to TOK. I find that Psychology relates better to TOK than Philosophy. But yeah, it's a really good course so you should really enjoy it!

Finally, good choice taking English SL hahaha. So far in English I've read around 6 books (4 novels and 2 plays) and I love SL English, the books are interesting and at the moment we're reading 'Candide' by Voltaire which is a laugh. In comparison to HL English, they have to learn 70 poems off by heart and know pretty much everything about them for the exam.

Sorry this is long, I find it a bit too easy to write at length hahaha :/

No that's fine. I need to do maths sl because I plan on doing economics so really muted the advanced maths.

I can't wait to start philosophy, I think it's going to be really interesting and I love debates :tongue:. I was thinking of doing psychology cos it looked interesting but I was already doing RS and we have a good philosophy department at my school. Looking at it psychology would relate to TOK but I think I'd enjoy philosophy more.

If you don't mind my asking what are you planning to do because that combination of highers seems a bit weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No that's fine. I need to do maths sl because I plan on doing economics so really muted the advanced maths.

I can't wait to start philosophy, I think it's going to be really interesting and I love debates :tongue:. I was thinking of doing psychology cos it looked interesting but I was already doing RS and we have a good philosophy department at my school. Looking at it psychology would relate to TOK but I think I'd enjoy philosophy more.

If you don't mind my asking what are you planning to do because that combination of highers seems a bit weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you want to study economics at University?
Original post by gsxrjunkie
Do you want to study economics at University?

Hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Y

I was also looking into it however many courses require HL maths
Y

I was also looking into it however many courses require HL maths

I know and most ask for a 7 which an extreme minority achieve. Bristol ask for a 7 in sl which I think I can get. Plus my school is apparently very good at getting people onto courses they don't have the grades for.

Maths is my best useful subject and economics seems interesting.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I know and most ask for a 7 which an extreme minority achieve. Bristol ask for a 7 in sl which I think I can get. Plus my school is apparently very good at getting people onto courses they don't have the grades for.

Maths is my best useful subject and economics seems interesting.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, that makes sense! I hope you get the grades you want😃
Ahh, that makes sense! I hope you get the grades you want😃

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha do they? I guess I went for more subjects I enjoyed rather than synergy but for university I am planning to do architecture and the only subject really that requires is art. A part of me toyed with doing psychology though
Reply 57
I just finished the IB (whoo) and these were my courses:

HL: Math, Physics, Geography

SL: English Literature, Ab initio Spanish, Visual Art

I'm going to study Mathematics at University in the fall.
Original post by suwuken
I just finished the IB (whoo) and these were my courses:

HL: Math, Physics, Geography

SL: English Literature, Ab initio Spanish, Visual Art

I'm going to study Mathematics at University in the fall.

How did you find maths? We went through a paper in class and it seemed impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
How did you find maths? We went through a paper in class and it seemed impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The actual papers?
I found P1 pretty bad, but I was having a rough day anyways. P2 was okay, from what I remember. P3 (we do Sets, Relations & Groups) was actually alright, they just have like 1 or 2 weird questions.
Overall, I loved the course. It seems impossible, but you learn, and I love maths anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending