The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

do the Newcastle halls put similar ages together?

If I apply to stay in halls as a 20 year old, will I be put with other people my age or would I be with 18 year olds who have come straight from sixth form?

And would it be possible to request that I am with other 20 year olds?
Original post by schmuur
If I apply to stay in halls as a 20 year old, will I be put with other people my age or would I be with 18 year olds who have come straight from sixth form?

And would it be possible to request that I am with other 20 year olds?

I know of flats where they are entirely made up of gap year students, so they might put you with these students? I don't know for sure though.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by llamaspoon
I know of flats where they are entirely made up of gap year students, so they might put you with these students? I don't know for sure though.

Great, that's helpful. Is this specifically at Newcastle? If so, which halls are they staying in? And would you know by chance whether they requested to be with other Gap year students or was it done automatically?
Original post by schmuur
Great, that's helpful. Is this specifically at Newcastle? If so, which halls are they staying in? And would you know by chance whether they requested to be with other Gap year students or was it done automatically?

Yes this is at Newcastle, in Marris House. I think most people in there are gap year students. However, I also have a gap year friend in Castle Court who has a couple of other gap year students in his flat. As far as I'm aware there is no special request; it's just how the uni sorts it.

Marris House is a really popular accommodation choice, and obviously students who already have their grades (ie. gap year students) get allocated accommodation first. I don't know if this has any sort of relevance, it's just an observation.
Reply 4
Original post by llamaspoon
Yes this is at Newcastle, in Marris House. I think most people in there are gap year students. However, I also have a gap year friend in Castle Court who has a couple of other gap year students in his flat. As far as I'm aware there is no special request; it's just how the uni sorts it.

Marris House is a really popular accommodation choice, and obviously students who already have their grades (ie. gap year students) get allocated accommodation first. I don't know if this has any sort of relevance, it's just an observation.

Do you happen to know what kind of people go for Winsor Terrace? I like that due to how close it is to the library (and I think Modern Language department too?). Are there many gap year/mature students here? And how about 2nd and 3rd years?
Original post by schmuur
Do you happen to know what kind of people go for Winsor Terrace? I like that due to how close it is to the library (and I think Modern Language department too?). Are there many gap year/mature students here? And how about 2nd and 3rd years?

The university puts a lot of international students in Windsor Terrace. It's good accommodation and the location is fantastic.

Most genuine mature students I've met (I wouldn't consider 20 to be mature) tend to rent privately or own homes locally. After the first year, people move into private accommodation.
Reply 6
Original post by Quantex
The university puts a lot of international students in Windsor Terrace. It's good accommodation and the location is fantastic.

Most genuine mature students I've met (I wouldn't consider 20 to be mature) tend to rent privately or own homes locally. After the first year, people move into private accommodation.

Perfect! As I am going to study modern languages I may find more people to practice with there! Plus, in Europe they finish school at 19 so they will already be closer to my age. And I know 20 isn't mature, it's more that where the mature students are would be possibly more 20-25's too.
Original post by schmuur

I'm in Windsor Terrace this year & took a gap year. Everyone in my flat had one (or two) years out following sixth form.

They're generally pretty good at putting people they think you'll get on best with, together. For example, older students with other older students, international students with other international students or students who have travelled a lot, pairing up students who have similar courses. For example, in my flat there are two history students (one does straight history, the other does combined honours), a maths and economics student and a chemist and a biochemist.

As for what kind of people go for Windsor... There's a mixture! I wouldn't say there's one distinct group of people - certainly not this year. I only know of one 2nd year in, but older years tend to be in houses - they're so much cheaper than halls :smile:

PM me if you have any other questions about Newcastle Uni/ accommodation etc :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by dave3094
I'm in Windsor Terrace this year & took a gap year. Everyone in my flat had one (or two) years out following sixth form.

They're generally pretty good at putting people they think you'll get on best with, together. For example, older students with other older students, international students with other international students or students who have travelled a lot, pairing up students who have similar courses. For example, in my flat there are two history students (one does straight history, the other does combined honours), a maths and economics student and a chemist and a biochemist.

As for what kind of people go for Windsor... There's a mixture! I wouldn't say there's one distinct group of people - certainly not this year. I only know of one 2nd year in, but older years tend to be in houses - they're so much cheaper than halls :smile:

PM me if you have any other questions about Newcastle Uni/ accommodation etc :smile:

This is exactly what I needed to know, thanks! I feel a lot less nervous now :tongue:
Original post by dave3094

Hi i saw this post and wondered if you could tell me a bit about Windsor terrace?!
Im finding it so hard to put my choices down so id really like to hear your opinion, what rooms and communal areas are like, what you like and dislike about it there? Would you reccomend it?
Also if you happen to have any pictures that'd be so great!!

Thanks 😁
Original post by LauraIsabel96
Hi i saw this post and wondered if you could tell me a bit about Windsor terrace?!
Im finding it so hard to put my choices down so id really like to hear your opinion, what rooms and communal areas are like, what you like and dislike about it there? Would you reccomend it?

Thanks 😁

Hey :smile:

So we're in flats of 6 people, with a shared kitchen and communal space. Then there are two shared showers, one for the guys & one for the girls.
There are two blocks of flats that have ensuite rooms, where everyone has their own shower (I have an ensuite :biggrin: ).

The rooms aren't huge - but personally I don't find them too bad. My room is probably ~3.5m long x ~2.5m. Although some rooms are a little bigger than others.
Pros - Nicely decorated :smile: - no bare brick walls here! Plenty of storage, love my ensuite :P
Cons - It is not massive, but to be honest, rooms in most halls are fairly small anyway :smile:

The kitchen & communal area is great - pretty big & a really nice kitchen - electric oven and hob (incase you were wondering). Of the halls I've been to, probably one of the nicest kitchen/ communal spaces I've been in (obviously places such as the View are nicer - but then you pay an extra £1500 or so!).
Each person gets two cupboards and a drawer for themselves in the kitchen. There are two fridges and freezers - so each person has a shelf in the fridge and the freezer. There are four communal cupboards & a communal drawer - which we use to store plates, bowls, cleaning stuff, pans, cutlery etc.
So yeah - pros - nice kitchen, large area - so plenty of room for everyone in the flat to be there, decent amount of storage.
Cons - the chairs... they look comfy - but they're really not :P bring a cushion or a beanbag XD

There isn't a block communal area - only communal areas within flats. There are four flats in each block, and we tend to get on well with & see people from other flats fairly regularly - despite the fact there isn't a shared communal space. So don't let that put you off.

The staff for Windsor Terrace are pretty good - fix things in good time & are generally pretty pleasant :smile:

I would definitely recommend it - and I'd choose it again if I had the chance. It's a quieter halls than Ricky (which is nice, especially in exam times! There are still parties though :smile: ), location is excellent - 5 minute walk onto campus, 10 to med school, 5 mins into town, 30 seconds to robinson library.

Yeah... I think that's everything... Oh and to use the washing machines it's £2.50, to use the dryers it's £1 :smile: (or at least it is for us, they may change it - who knows!).

I'll take some pics when I get back :smile:
Thanks so much for all the details it's ready helpful!
It sounds really nice there, I wish I'd got the chance too look round some that's why I'm trying to find out as much as I can now!
Thanks again, don't worry about the pictures if it's gonna be a faff I can have a look online xx
Thanks so much for all the details it's ready helpful!
It sounds really nice there, I wish I'd got the chance too look round some that's why I'm trying to find out as much as I can now!
Thanks again, don't worry about the pictures if it's gonna be a faff I can have a look online ������ xx

No worries :smile: - yeah sorry, not at the flat for a couple of days & don't have any photos with me. The photos online are a pretty standard representation of the rooms, the kitchen, communal area.
Reply 13

Thanks 😁

there is also a youtube video that someone did which helped me get a feel for the place that photos couldnt show. plus, its made by students so its a better representation of what you get, not just the best that it shown.
I cannot copy and paste the link but if you type in windsor terrace into youtube it is the first video that comes up and is about 3 mins long. I believe there are also online tours of other accommodation done by students so you can search them too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending