The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam 2015 (Relationships)

I have compiled a list of the 'Relationships' poems that were asked about in previous AQA English Literature exams, so that we can attempt to predict what poems will be in the 2015 exam.

June 2014: Ghazal OR The Farmer's Bride
June 2013: Sonnet 116 OR Born Yesterday
January 2013: Hour OR The Farmer’s Bride
June 2012: Quickdraw OR Praise Song for My Mother
January 2012: Sonnet 43 OR Harmonium
June 2011: The Manhunt OR Nettles

This leaves In Paris With You (which I hate), Brothers, To His Coy Mistress, and Sister Maude.

What do you think will be on the exam and what are you hopping for?
I quite like Nettles and Brothers because I find them pretty simple.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The nasty thing with exams is that you don't know what is going to be in them. :/

How are you revising for this exam?
Ghazal and The Farmer's Bride were asked last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I honestly haven't thought about this one much, simply because I don't know how to revise. I think I'm just going to read through my annotations on the anthology and try and remember the comparisons, there are some good videos on YouTube as well.
Reply 4
Original post by WaywardWriter
Ghazal and The Farmer's Bride were asked last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I will add this to the list.
I absolutely HATE Brothers, I feel like there's very little to write about it. From the one's that haven't turned up, I'm hoping for To His Coy Mistress and possibly a sonnet.

What are you hoping to get overall? :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you for making this list, it will definitely save people time scrolling through all past paper questions!

I predict it's going to be To His Coy Mistress as a definite named poem. Apparently, it was meant to come up last year (everyone thought it was) but it was The Farmers Bride and Ghazal. Therefore, a few people in my year believe they already thought of the question last year (To His Coy Mistress). Also, this poem exam finishes next year and they HAVE to cover the whole syllabus and, as there are only four poems left, they could just do two of them this year, and the other two next year. Well, that's the logical way of thinking about it :wink:. However, nobody can be certain! So just revise all of them but make those four a priority.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey,

Brothers, Sister Maude and In Paris with you wont come for the exam if you are doing a higher paper, because these poems are for the foundation paper, so all those who are doing the higher paper wont have to revise these poems. Yeaahh:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Pinixy5
Hey,

Brothers, Sister Maude and In Paris with you wont come for the exam if you are doing a higher paper, because these poems are for the foundation paper, so all those who are doing the higher paper wont have to revise these poems. Yeaahh:biggrin:

No this is wrong, they changed this rule recently so Brothers, Sister Maude and In Paris With You can actually come up in the higher paper as well.

Proof: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-ENGLIT-CHANGES.PDF - Page 5
Original post by Pinixy5
Hey,

How do you know?
Reply 10
Original post by Maryam.Karim
How do you know?

The head of English in our school told us this.... I need to go and ask him again about it.
I'm personally hoping for To His Coy Mistress and In Paris With You to appear, as I don't have as many annotations on the other two :/ although AQA have been known before to include things that have appeared on papers only a few years before, however I would assume that as this set of poems ends next year you would think it'd be one of the four. I'm revising for them all, just to be sure I think :smile:
I hope its to his coy mistress
It ****ing better be
Original post by Pinixy5
The head of English in our school told us this.... I need to go and ask him again about it.

Ahh I see. I personally would like either Ghazal or Nettles to come up. I feel more comfortable with these ones.
Reply 15
if To His Coy Mistress comes up, what is everyone going to compare it to?
Reply 16
Original post by Maryam.Karim
Ahh I see. I personally would like either Ghazal or Nettles to come up. I feel more comfortable with these ones.

Even me.... I hope this poems come up for the exam.:smile::smile: Even I like Hour and Sonnet 43.:smile::smile: Either one of this should come up.....I hope.:biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by 'Chris'
No this is wrong, they changed this rule recently so Brothers, Sister Maude and In Paris With You can actually come up in the higher paper as well.

Proof: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-ENGLIT-CHANGES.PDF - Page 5

Hey, this is wrong. I just clarified it with my teacher (head of English)and he told me that these poems are not there for the exam. It is only there for the ones that are doing the foundation tier and not higher.:smile:
Original post by Pinixy5
Hey, this is wrong. I just clarified it with my teacher (head of English)and he told me that these poems are not there for the exam. It is only there for the ones that are doing the foundation tier and not higher.:smile:

Is your teacher sure because it seems to be on that PDF from AQA...didn't they change the rules because they were running out of poems?
I think if To His Coy Mistress came up, I would compare it to either Hour or Sonnet 116. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply

Latest