paranoid197
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in Year10 and I moved school. I wanted to do music but I was give PE. I can't change subjects because the music teachers think it might be hard for me. Can anybody please tell me how hard the music course is and what's the exam like. I play the piano and I can read notations.
Thanks
izzyjh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You've need to be at least Grade 5 in Music Theory and grade 6 or above in your instrument. You need to be able to compose and perform in an ensemble and a group. You also need to learn the set works in detail. If you're not really good it can be difficult, i can't really hack it and I play three instruments. If you're teachers don't think its right for you then it probably isn't. you should trust them. Doing something that you struggle and fall behind with is the worst.
paranoid197
Rep:
?
Ok. Thank you very much!
tryrevise
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ngl it is really hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
paranoid197
Rep:
?
Thanks😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by izzyjh)
You've need to be at least Grade 5 in Music Theory and grade 6 or above in your instrument. You need to be able to compose and perform in an ensemble and a group. You also need to learn the set works in detail. If you're not really good it can be difficult, i can't really hack it and I play three instruments. If you're teachers don't think its right for you then it probably isn't. you should trust them. Doing something that you struggle and fall behind with is the worst.
In my school, people who don't even play instruments take music, (NOT ME! Grade 7 Piano, Grade 5 Violin, thank you very much!)
TIF141
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only about 30% of our GCSE class has music grades (one grade 7 and one 8 (me :3) - the rest that do have grades are 3/4 max) and I think on one mock almost every GCSE grade was covered - U up to A*.
I would guess the exam is roughly 70% memorisation and about 30% listening to the pieces being played (e.g. "describe the texture/dynamics of this extract"). To be honest, I don't find the exam too bad - there are some tricky comparison questions with picky answers in the mark scheme, and the grade boundaries are generally pretty high, but if you know your stuff it's pretty easy, and there's lots of easy 1/2/3 mark questions. Very little understanding of actual "music theory" (circle of fifths, cadences, etc.) is needed, and the majority of my class can't read music, but many of those people are doing fine - you can get away without.
The composition and performance are both pretty good as there's quite a lot of freedom in what you can do, provided you don't leave it to the last minute!
username1893177
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took the edexcel course last year, and at the time I did think it was one of my hardest GCSEs, although it came out as one of my highest grades, so it was definitely deceiving! As for the exam, it's split into different sections:

Compositions: I think this will depend on how good your teacher is, but for me and I think most of my friends, this was the easiest bit of the course. I would say, as long as you keep on top of it (make sure you aim to finish way before the deadline and do little and often!) this part is honestly fine.

Performance: I don't think you've said what standard piano you are? From memory, I think a third of the marks for performance are on difficulty - if you aren't grade V or above, you won't be able to get full marks here. However, you can definitely make up for that with the performance of your piece. Also, this section isn't worth many marks. Bear in mind, though, that as it's piano you play (me too) your ensemble performance might be tricky. What I did was to accompany one of my friends singing on the piano, and claim it was a duet, as that then counts as an ensemble.

Exam: I properly though I would mess this up, and this was why I thought I was going to do really badly throughout the year, but when it came to the actual GCSE, it was honestly fine! I spent I think two whole days revising only music (and that was all my revision) and I came out with 98 UMS. All I did was use the CGP revision guide, and went through with each type of music at a time; I learned the key facts, and listened to examples on youtube so I could hear the music too.

I hope this is kind of helpful - if you have any more questions, feel free to ask I honestly think, although music isn't "art" easy, it definitely isn't "chemisty" or "physics" hard - the composition part of the GCSE is awesome and although some theory is boring :rolleyes: some is also really very interesting.
paranoid197
Rep:
?
Thanks guys ! Really helped a lot. My music teachers reconsidered and they might let me in the course next week😆😆. Again thanks guys😀😀😀👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
tryrevise
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by loveire&song)
I took the edexcel course last year, and at the time I did think it was one of my hardest GCSEs, although it came out as one of my highest grades, so it was definitely deceiving! As for the exam, it's split into different sections:

Compositions: I think this will depend on how good your teacher is, but for me and I think most of my friends, this was the easiest bit of the course. I would say, as long as you keep on top of it (make sure you aim to finish way before the deadline and do little and often!) this part is honestly fine.

Performance: I don't think you've said what standard piano you are? From memory, I think a third of the marks for performance are on difficulty - if you aren't grade V or above, you won't be able to get full marks here. However, you can definitely make up for that with the performance of your piece. Also, this section isn't worth many marks. Bear in mind, though, that as it's piano you play (me too) your ensemble performance might be tricky. What I did was to accompany one of my friends singing on the piano, and claim it was a duet, as that then counts as an ensemble.

Exam: I properly though I would mess this up, and this was why I thought I was going to do really badly throughout the year, but when it came to the actual GCSE, it was honestly fine! I spent I think two whole days revising only music (and that was all my revision) and I came out with 98 UMS. All I did was use the CGP revision guide, and went through with each type of music at a time; I learned the key facts, and listened to examples on youtube so I could hear the music too.

I hope this is kind of helpful - if you have any more questions, feel free to ask I honestly think, although music isn't "art" easy, it definitely isn't "chemisty" or "physics" hard - the composition part of the GCSE is awesome and although some theory is boring :rolleyes: some is also really very interesting.
I agree with everything you've said, but ART easy?! I do both and art has 98% grade boundaries for an A* and it's really difficult to get a really high mark, definitely takes much more work for me than chemistry or physics! As for comparing it with music they're both pretty hard haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1893177
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tryrevise)
I agree with everything you've said, but ART easy?! I do both and art has 98% grade boundaries for an A* and it's really difficult to get a really high mark, definitely takes much more work for me than chemistry or physics! As for comparing it with music they're both pretty hard haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really sorry - I didn't mean to offend anyone! I should have said that was only my experience. For me, art was definitely the easiest by far as I only worked in lessons and got 98% UMS overall, whereas chemistry I needed to put in days of revision.

98% for an A*?! Are you sure? What board is that? I did AQA Fine Art and I swear that was only 92% raw mark for an A* for my year (2014).
tryrevise
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm really sorry - I didn't mean to offend anyone! I should have said that was only my experience. For me, art was definitely the easiest by far as I only worked in lessons and got 98% UMS overall, whereas chemistry I needed to put in days of revision.

98% for an A*?! Are you sure? What board is that? I did AQA Fine Art and I swear that was only 92% raw mark for an A* for my year (2014).
No worries, no offence taken I do Edexcel Art and Design, and yeah I think it's a bit ridiculous personally :P I can completely understand your view on it, although I've had to put in a lot of time out of school, but I know that the majority of my art class wouldn't agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1893177
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tryrevise)
No worries, no offence taken I do Edexcel Art and Design, and yeah I think it's a bit ridiculous personally :P I can completely understand your view on it, although I've had to put in a lot of time out of school, but I know that the majority of my art class wouldn't agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wooah, good luck then! (not that you'd need it!) I'm glad my exam board were way more forgiving; that sounds awful Good luck with your GCSEs x
tryrevise
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wooah, good luck then! (not that you'd need it!) I'm glad my exam board were way more forgiving; that sounds awful Good luck with your GCSEs x
Thank you so much x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaron Copland
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is quite possibly the easiest music written exam I've ever taken. This includes Grade 5 theory and all the others I've done.

They make the exam so simple. One can answer almost all the 'listening' questions without having heard the extract. The essays are not essays, there are just listing very obvious observations which can aquired on the first time of listening. I got 100% and did it in year nine.

I'm sure you'll be fine.
paranoid197
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aaron Copland;[url="tel:55981425")
55981425[/url]]It is quite possibly the easiest music written exam I've ever taken. This includes Grade 5 theory and all the others I've done.

They make the exam so simple. One can answer almost all the 'listening' questions without having heard the extract. The essays are not essays, there are just listing very obvious observations which can aquired on the first time of listening. I got 100% and did it in year nine.

I'm sure you'll be fine.
Thanks very much. I got on the course and what I'm finding hard is the composition. Any tips on that? We're doing ground bass composition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.82%
No (313)
70.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed