bethnonsense
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So the verification principle is the idea that a statement is only meaningful if it is:

analytic (true in and of itself)
synthetic (can be experienced)

right?

Philosophers argue that this means talking about God is meaningless...
and I'm struggling to get my head around this, can anyone help?

The statement "God is good" is analytic? The definition of God is goodness....so this is true in itself. And that means it is meaningful.

The statement "God is good" is synthetic, because people experience God's goodness. People experience God.

I don't understand how this is used against religious language, can anyone help please?
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bethnonsense)
So the verification principle is the idea that a statement is only meaningful if it is:

analytic (true in and of itself)
synthetic (can be experienced)

right?

Philosophers argue that this means talking about God is meaningless...
and I'm struggling to get my head around this, can anyone help?

The statement "God is good" is analytic? The definition of God is goodness....so this is true in itself. And that means it is meaningful.

The statement "God is good" is synthetic, because people experience God's goodness. People experience God.

I don't understand how this is used against religious language, can anyone help please?
Hey,

If I am correct the Verification Principle in terms of religious language debate, is used to state that the concept of God is meaningless (and thus consequently, talking about any aspect of God e.g. goodness).

Oh hey TSR actually has something about this:

A.J Ayer writes “The term God is a Metaphysical Term. And if God is a metaphysical term, it cannot even be probable that God exists. The statement is neither true nor false it is meaningless”.

Ayer denies the possibility of God’s existence altogether on the grounds that there is no way of empirically verifying his existence. He believed that ethical statements fell short of the verification principle because they could not be verified empirically.
So because Ayer *initially believes that God cannot be verified, this means God is meaningless and so is any discussion about God. Like if I had an idea of a unicorn and someone proved my idea to be meaningless, trying to talk about a unicorn's stamina would then become meaningless by default.

*he actually redevelops his argument later which can allow for God to potentially exist but that's a tricky area
bethnonsense
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Hey,

If I am correct the Verification Principle in terms of religious language debate, is used to state that the concept of God is meaningless (and thus consequently, talking about any aspect of God e.g. goodness).

Oh hey TSR actually has something about this:

So because Ayer *initially believes that God cannot be verified, this means God is meaningless and so is any discussion about God. Like if I had an idea of a unicorn and someone proved my idea to be meaningless, trying to talk about a unicorn's stamina would then become meaningless by default.

*he actually redevelops his argument later which can allow for God to potentially exist but that's a tricky area
Thank you. !!!! That makes more sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.26%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
14.89%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
10.64%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (4)
8.51%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (20)
42.55%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
19.15%

Watched Threads