The Student Room Group

don't have a national insurance number?

I am trying to apply for student finance but i can't do it without a national insurance number. GOV.UK says you are automatically given one when you turn 16 (18 now) but i don't think I have one.. has anyone else not been given one? How did you get one? I tried calling the hotline which gives you 'advice' but they put me on hold for 30 mins and i gave up..

Are there any documents my national insurance could be on if I had one? (I don't pay tax)
You would have been sent one in the post when you turned 16.
Have you tried asking your parents as they probably have it.
Original post by Sycamores
You would have been sent one in the post when you turned 16.
Have you tried asking your parents as they probably have it.

yep i have. they don't have it . they remember being told i was eligible for one in the post but not my actual national insurance number
anyone?
If you don't have one you need to ring up their service centre and they'll set up an appointment for you. You have to go to a meeting and take passport, proof of address and a couple of other forms of ID and complete some paperwork and then they'll send you your NI number in the mail.

I had to do it, it's easy enough. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by IanDangerously
If you don't have one you need to ring up their service centre and they'll set up an appointment for you. You have to go to a meeting and take passport, proof of address and a couple of other forms of ID and complete some paperwork and then they'll send you your NI number in the mail.

I had to do the same
Original post by IanDangerously

hey thanks for the reply! managed to get through to them on the phone. luckily they didn't ask me to go to a meeting, there just going to send me my details in the post!

Quick Reply