The Student Room Group

Why do we put people on pedestals?

Because when you really think about it, it both destroys the
person put on the pedestal, as well as, the person putting the other on the pedestal.

Do you like it being on a pedestal or doing it to others? If so why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NHM713
Because when you really think about it, it both destroys the
person put on the pedestal, as well as, the person putting the other on the pedestal.

Do you like it being on a pedestal or doing it to others? If so why?

Why does it destroy the person on the pedestal? (And could you clarify exactly what you mean by "put someone on a pedestal"?)
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
Why does it destroy the person on the pedestal? (And could you clarify exactly what you mean by "put someone on a pedestal"?)

It gives you a false sense of superiority, making you think you are more than.

When I say "put someone on a pedestal", I mean, setting someone apart from the rest.....in a "good" way.
Original post by NHM713

When I say "put someone on a pedestal", I mean, setting someone apart from the rest.....in a "good" way.

What if I really am "more than"? Then my sense of superiority wouldn't be false.
Reply 4
What if I really am "more than"? Then my sense of superiority wouldn't be false.

Then I would ask what makes you superior to the rest?
Reply 5
Also, for the most part, we do it yet we think we don't, which makes it worse.
Original post by NHM713
Then I would ask what makes you superior to the rest?

My dazzling good looks, intellect, likeability and altruistic nature, naturally. Do you disagree that such people exist?
Reply 7
My dazzling good looks, intellect, likeability and altruistic nature, naturally. Do you disagree that such people exist?

Lol, those are all idea, you hold about yourself, they're not facts, and certainly don't make you better than. In reality (of which we all occupy) none of what you have mentioned justifies you thinking you're superior or someone else thinking you are.
Original post by NHM713
Lol, those are all idea, you hold about yourself, they're not facts, and certainly don't make you better than. In reality (of which we all occupy) none of what you have mentioned justifies you thinking you're superior or someone else thinking you are.

Is there any basis at all on which you might consider someone to be better than someone else? (Consider someone who murdered a child in cold blood, for instance: would you consider Gandhi to be better than such a murderer?)
Reply 9
Is there any basis at all on which you might consider someone to be better than someone else? (Consider someone who murdered a child in cold blood, for instance: would you consider Gandhi to be better than such a murderer?)

Well, first if all, I have to ask, what do you mean, when you use the word "better"?

How I see it is, no. We are human beings, you can't take from that. In regards to the murder of a child, that person needs help, and should be looked upon with compassion, because that is mental illness.

Gandhi and this murderer are the same essentials, only difference is one is well the other is not.
NotHigher, once again a premise steeped in pretension. You enter this debate immediately forgetting to define your terms, which is incredibly important so as not to be caught talking at cross purposes.

Now the idea of valuing some individuals above others is simply human nature and part of hierarchy. People deemed to do things for the greater good and self-sself-sacrifice are put on a pedestal and glorified as good examples of how people should be. Such people are given a platform to speak, influence and inform others interested in what they have to say. On the other end of the spectrum you get people vilified by the people of society showing strong disapproval, although you could also take it to mean singling-out.

Either way, I think you need to stop focusing on what makes everybody the same and start focusing on what make us all so different: therein lies your answer.
Original post by NHM713
Well, first if all, I have to ask, what do you mean, when you use the word "better"?

How I see it is, no. We are human beings, you can't take from that. In regards to the murder of a child, that person needs help, and should be looked upon with compassion, because that is mental illness.

Gandhi and this murderer are the same essentials, only difference is one is well the other is not.

Is there anything that a person can do that would make you think they were a bad person?
Reply 12
Original post by HigherMinion
NotHigher, once again a premise steeped in pretension. You enter this debate immediately forgetting to define your terms, which is incredibly important so as not to be caught talking at cross purposes.

Now the idea of valuing some individuals above others is simply human nature and part of hierarchy. People deemed to do things for the greater good and self-sself-sacrifice are put on a pedestal and glorified as good examples of how people should be. Such people are given a platform to speak, influence and inform others interested in what they have to say. On the other end of the spectrum you get people vilified by the people of society showing strong disapproval, although you could also take it to mean singling-out.

Either way, I think you need to stop focusing on what makes everybody the same and start focusing on what make us all so different: therein lies your answer.

First of all, I don't see how that makes what I'm saying pretentious.

As for it being our human nature to put people we deem worthy on pedestals, that's like taking away your own power. You forget that our human nature isn't stagnant, it's evolves and changes, and to say that, is undermining yourself as well as the rest of us; I don't quite understand your point here.

Putting someone on a pedestal ruin the person, because the power they are been given, is too much of a temptation, just what people in power have done.

The opposite put fear in people not to speak, in case they are "singled-out" for their views, that not a world anyone wants to live in.

We already focus heavily, on what makes us different, this is the reason why there is so much conflict in the world; it certainly makes a bloody change to start seeing ourselves as all the same, we all come from the same place and are made of the same stuff.

Finally, I have no idea what you're on-ing about when you say I'm NotHigher.
Reply 13
Is there anything that a person can do that would make you think they were a bad person?

Lol, what is your point?
Original post by NHM713
Lol, what is your point?

The point is that if you think that actions can make you a bad person then you have already put everyone else on the pedestal compared to 'bad people'. We distinguish between good and bad people, then we categorise further. "Yes he is bad for theft but he's nowhere near as bad as that murderer", we then do that with good people or people who achieve excellence.
Reply 15
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
The point is that if you think that actions can make you a bad person then you have already put everyone else on the pedestal compared to 'bad people'. We distinguish between good and bad people, then we categorise further. "Yes he is bad for theft but he's nowhere near as bad as that murderer", we then do that with good people or people who achieve excellence.

That not what I'm getting at, putting someone on a pedestal creates division, that's my point. Once you create this division, the person you have held with such regard can no longer relate to you.
Original post by NHM713
That not what I'm getting at, putting someone on a pedestal creates division, that's my point. Once you create this division, the person you have held with such regard can no longer relate to you.

And that's exactly my point. If we think of people as criminals then we already create division. We all create division and do so constantly in our lives. It's not abnormal.
Reply 17
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
And that's exactly my point. If we think of people as criminals then we already create division. We all create division and do so constantly in our lives. It's not abnormal.

Only because it has become normalised. It doesn't help us to have divisions.
Original post by NHM713
Only because it has become normalised. It doesn't help us to have divisions.

That seems like really poor logic. It's very helpful to have divisions. We divide people into academic ability, we divide law abiding citizens from criminals, we divide ourselves from enemies of the state (and public). We divide humans away from dangerous animals.

A world without division sounds chaotic and very inefficient.
Original post by NHM713

I tend not to put people on pedestal's myself (mainly because my own ego is fairly big) but i think that people do it because they like to believe that the person they are friends with, like romantically or admire from history is somehow above other humans, they are not representative of the norm.

Mandella is a great example.. he's loved by many but people forget that he was a terrorist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending