The Student Room Group

Have you ever walked out of an interview before it finished?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever walked out of an interview before it has finished? Or come very close to it? What happened/ what was your reason for doing so? Share your stories! Personally, I haven't but have really wanted to once when one of the interviewers was being really patronising and bitchy x
Reply 1
Lol yeah, I had a training day at a hotel and one of the managers spoke to me like a dog so I threw the plates on the floor and walked off. They tried calling me after but didnt answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. I went for an interview and one of the people in the interview, who i'd be working under, made a fairly indirect but racist comment not knowing that a large proportion of my family, on my father's side, are black. This obviously annoyed me and I didn't want to work for someone who held such backward views. I was quite dumbfounded really that someone would make a comment like that in a formal setting, not that it was as formal as you'd expect for an interview. I just said 'I'm no longer interested', got up and left after about 5 seconds of awkward silence. I couldn't even make a complaint because the other person in there interviewing would have probably taken their side anyway. That person is still probably the most ignorant person I've ever met in public other than one other person who flat out racially abused someone I know on a night out. Its a shame but the world is still full of ignorant ********s and some of these get into positions of power. People like this are why we now have overzealous equality acts that are abused the other way in terms of positive discrimination. You just cant win.
Reply 3
Original post by Europhile
Yes. I went for an interview and one of the people in the interview, who i'd be working under, made a fairly indirect but racist comment not knowing that a large proportion of my family, on my father's side, are black. This obviously annoyed me and I didn't want to work for someone who held such backward views. I was quite dumbfounded really that someone would make a comment like that in a formal setting, not that it was as formal as you'd expect for an interview. I just said 'I'm no longer interested', got up and left after about 5 seconds of awkward silence. I couldn't even make a complaint because the other person in there interviewing would have probably taken their side anyway. That person is still probably the most ignorant person I've ever met in public other than one other person who flat out racially abused someone I know on a night out. Its a shame but the world is still full of ignorant ********s and some of these get into positions of power. People like this are why we now have overzealous equality acts that are abused the other way in terms of positive discrimination. You just cant win.

I'm curious to what was said?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
I'm curious to what was said?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In short, I queried about hours that I'd be working and he made a comment about slavery which was pretty out of taste and completely uncalled for really.
Reply 5
In short, I queried about hours that I'd be working and he made a comment about slavery which was pretty out of taste and completely uncalled for really.

Slavery isn't exclusive to black people though? I'm black also..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
Slavery isn't exclusive to black people though? I'm black also..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the way in which it was said was racist though. That is the point.
Reply 7

Don't get why people complain about this. Concentration camps sound like a great place to study.
Reply 8
Yeah, the way in which it was said was racist though. That is the point.

Was race bought into it at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
Was race bought into it at all?

Yes, which is why it offended me. If he had said it in a joking manner I could have let it slide but the fact he said it in the way he did led me to believe he actually held this view or was this way inclined and therefore not someone I wanted to work for. After all, could have been me just jumping the gun and he could have just said something he regretted saying looking back on it but still, I think he should have kept it in check in an interview.
Oh dear, it's a shame that people in "power" can't act professionally and appropriately. It really annoys me that people think they can speak or behave a certain way because they are in a position of authority. There's no need for racism, it's just plain wrong. Good on you guys for standing your ground x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending