The Student Room Group

Single parent. What benefits can I claim?

Hi!

I'm new to the site so be patient please :smile:

I've received my student finance detailing how much I'll get loan and grant but I'm wondering about housing and council tax benefit.

I'm a single parent and would ideally like to be able to give up my job before starting my course but need to work out if I can afford it.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks x
Original post by GemJS
Hi!

I'm new to the site so be patient please :smile:

I've received my student finance detailing how much I'll get loan and grant but I'm wondering about housing and council tax benefit.

I'm a single parent and would ideally like to be able to give up my job before starting my course but need to work out if I can afford it.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks x

Hi, is your child over or under the age of 5? This will affect the benefits you are able to get.

You would obviously keep your child benefit and and child tax credits. You would also be eligible for housing benefit assuming you meet the other eligibility criteria.

If your child is under 5, you can claim income support all year round. Otherwise, assuming your child is under 16, you can claim income support in the summer holidays.

I think if you live in a universal credit area, you might be paid your benefits as universal credit instead, and the benefit cap does apply- however student loan and grant won't be counted towards the benefit cap.

I hope that helps a bit :smile:
As a full time student, you're exempt from council tax. Your uni has a certificate you can give the council to show exemption.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending