IB Bio vs IB History (SL and HL)

Watch
vickyy99
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm still not entirely positive of what I want to study in college but I'm thinking either criminal behavior/criminal law (leaning more towards this) or international law/politics... However, I can't decide between Biology HL or History HL

My courses as of now are
HL Psychology
HL Lang and Lit
HL History
SL Math
SL French B
SL Bio

But I'm debating switching Bio with History. I'm not really sure which will be most useful for me or which one I will end up needing more. I'm extremely indecisive so I keep going back and forth between the two.
LeviosaNight
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
if you're doing anything Law or Politics related I think taking History HL would be good. However as you already have Lang and Lit plus Psychology it's not absolutely necessary.
Maybe you can look at the syllabus (which is different between schools because schools can pick certain topics to teach) and see what you're interested in?
As far as difficulty goes, SL and HL for both History and Bio doesn't seem to differ much.
Medukal
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Anything to do with Law requires decent essay writing skills, I recommend taking no Languages at a B level, and instead at SL or maybe even HL. History is a must imo.
Zachery
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hist HL is better
nicholasflamel
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Just a little comment on LeviosaNight's remark about how History and Biology HL and SL don't differ much, I must disagree.

Both of them are very content-heavy. History HL has a humongous third paper that lasts more than 2 hours and is a pain to study for. The same can be said about Biology HL (AHL chapters will effectively double your content load).

But I suppose "difficulty" can be interpreted in different ways, and while HL History and Biology do have more content, they may not be conceptually more difficult (as, say, Maths HL and SL).

Just something to consider.
LeviosaNight
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
^ of course the contents differ, but i mean, in terms of the actual skills you need, it's not very different. sorry i wasn't clear about that. and of course since it's your HL you're going to get adequate time spent on it. you're not going to spend the same time on an SL subject as an HL subject.

As for content, I don't take bio HL myself, but for History, you actually have topics that overlap heavily. my history HL notes are basically my SL notes re-organised (*this depends on what topics your school decides to teach you, though)
Generally I find history at IB not as content-focused as IGCSE or people say A-level is. You need to know things like historiography, which you didn't need before, but other than that, you don't actually need to know lots of dates/data. The main thing - which goes back to the difficulty thing i mentioned - is essay writing skill.
cookiestarninja
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
heya! i'm also hoping to do law at university and i've just completed my first year of IB. obviously i don't know you as a person but given your subject choices and the fact that you're going for law, i'll make the assumption that you're better at the social sciences? i currently do HL history and SL biology and imo, both are tough. however, i lean slightly more towards the idea of HL history since its my favourite subject and i think its a lot easier to get higher marks for when compared to SL biology.

i see that you intend on studying HL psychology. i have a few friends who were intent on studying law before IB started who have completely given up on that idea - because of their grades. in this case, HL biology would offer more flexibility IF you suddenly change your mind and suddenly go for something like psychology in uni....but a huge factor in IB is interest, so its up to you!! i had a friend who got into Durham law despite taking HL design tech, physics and english lang lit for IB.

hope this helps!!
Dandoona1998
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I would definitely recommend you take History HL as it is much more relevant to your designated field of study at university . It's a great class to be honest, I'm constantly captivated and interested in it. Loads of work, but I think it's worth it !
Best of luck with the IB !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.63%
Note taking apps (6)
2.45%
Flashcards (47)
19.18%
Revision guides (15)
6.12%
Past papers (116)
47.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.27%

Watched Threads