As a student who would you vote for and why?

Watch this thread
Gazzaaa
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
2 weeks to go until the general election and I'll be a virgin voter (first time to vote).

I guess im slightly skeptical about the policies of the major UK parties and how they'll actually help students like me (bearing in mind I'll be starting uni from September this year).

The tories say they'll be with us through every stage of our life - yet they haven't got any clear cut policies on helping students compared to other parties.

Labour want to cut tuition fees from 9K to 6K - but that's almost nothing. They also want to increase the minimum wage to £8 an hour, with the Greens looking to boost it up to £10 whilst banning exploitive zero hours contracts.

So I guess the real question that remains is do we vote to aid ourselves as students (I.e Labour, Greens) or do we vote for what's best for the whole country (Tories)?
SeaPony
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Vote UKIP my friend
EggMayo
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gazzaaa)
2 weeks to go until the general election and I'll be a virgin voter (first time to vote).

I guess im slightly skeptical about the policies of the major UK parties and how they'll actually help students like me (bearing in mind I'll be starting uni from September this year).

The tories say they'll be with us through every stage of our life - yet they haven't got any clear cut policies on helping students compared to other parties.

Labour want to cut tuition fees from 9K to 6K - but that's almost nothing. They also want to increase the minimum wage to £8 an hour, with the Greens looking to boost it up to £10 whilst banning exploitive zero hours contracts.

So I guess the real question that remains is do we vote to aid ourselves as students (I.e Labour, Greens) or do we vote for what's best for the whole country (Tories)?
Wouldn't increasing minimum wage just increase inflation? I thought being a student was expensive already
SeaPony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It would also increase immigration as well. Now they will be paid 11 times more than they would in their home country.
Gazzaaa
Rep:
(Original post by SeaPony)
Vote UKIP my friend
Giving you a great chance to sell your party here, why UKIP?
SeaPony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gazzaaa)
Giving you a great chance to sell your party here, why UKIP?
As Nigel says-
'We want our country back'
Gazzaaa
Rep:
As Nigel says-
Sounds like empty words at the moment mate..
NekoNoKoi
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
As Nigel says-
Out of interest, what do you think about their policy to legalise guns?
SeaPony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NekoNoKoi)
Out of interest, what do you think about their policy to legalise guns?
Before replying to that

Where does it say in the 2015 manifesto?
NekoNoKoi
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Before replying to that

Where does it say in the 2015 manifesto?
Gimme a minute, I'll try find it again.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1429295050 Page 55, "UKIP will seek to introduce new personal weapons legislation to reflect progressmade on knife crime and combat the many different kinds of items now used to injure,disfigure or kill"
SeaPony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Sounds good. People being shot all of the time where I live about time we gave weapons to the good guys and shop keepers.
LordPhylogeny
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Sounds good. People being shot all of the time where I live about time we gave weapons to the good guys and shop keepers.
Classic UKIP, no idea whats even in their manifesto

10/10 Banter
SeaPony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LordPhylogeny)
Classic UKIP, no idea whats even in their manifesto

10/10 Banter
I did actually read the manifesto but in reading the crime and punishment page in reference to legalizing guns in which it did not even mention the word 'gun'. It hardly went into great detail.
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
As Nigel says-
Apart from this, may I ask, what else interests you in UKIP?
NekoNoKoi
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You should watch 'Bowling for Columbine', good documentary.
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Two wrongs does not make a right.
SeaPony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NekoNoKoi)
You should watch 'Bowling for Columbine', good documentary.
Michael Moore the anti-gun pro establishment hippo?

No thanks. Give weapons to shop owners maybe it will deter yobs from robbing them repeatedly.
SeaPony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by German123)
Two wrongs does not make a right.
So... somehow guns are wrong? A gun in the hands of a criminal is wrong but a gun in the hands of a good person is good. People kill people not guns.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
When was the last time someone was shot in your area? Can you link to a news article?
NekoNoKoi
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Michael Moore the anti-gun pro establishment hippo?

No thanks. Give weapons to shop owners maybe it will deter yobs from robbing them repeatedly.
I guess if you watched the documentary you'd see how well that works out, but okay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (235)
41.96%
The paper was reasonable (238)
42.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
6.43%

Watched Threads