The Student Room Group

Atropine- biomedical science

Struggling with a research title of "Non-competitive antagonism of atropine". Does anyone have any information on it being a non-competitive antagonist? As most information online points to its competitiveness and there is little on non-competitiveness.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by Maddie678
Struggling with a research title of "Non-competitive antagonism of atropine". Does anyone have any information on it being a non-competitive antagonist? As most information online points to its competitiveness and there is little on non-competitiveness.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

I was always under the impression that it was a competitive, non-selective antagonist at the muscarinic M1, M2, M3, M4 and M5 receptors (parasympatholytic action). I can't seem to find any evidence that suggests that is is a non-competitive antagonist at those receptors.
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod
I was always under the impression that it was a competitive, non-selective antagonist at the muscarinic M1, M2, M3, M4 and M5 receptors (parasympatholytic action). I can't seem to find any evidence that suggests that is is a non-competitive antagonist at those receptors.

Yeah, thats exactly my thought. I've only ever studied atropine in relation to it being a competitive antagonist. There is almost zero information about it being non-competitive. But, I've been given a presentation title about it being non-competitive?! Think an email is in order.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Maddie678
Yeah, thats exactly my thought. I've only ever studied atropine in relation to it being a competitive antagonist. There is almost zero information about it being non-competitive. But, I've been given a presentation title about it being non-competitive?! Think an email is in order.

Thanks for your help :smile:

No worries.

I was just looking at a drug, losartan today. It is an angiotensin-receptor blocker, a competitive antagonist at the AT1-receptor, causing effects like vasodilation, reduced aldosterone secretion, reduced ADH secretion, reduced sympathetic activity etc. However, losartan's active metabolite is a non-competitive antagonist at the same receptor.

It might be worth looking into metabolites of atropine, to see if there is a link there?

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending