The Student Room Group

Should I Do Further Maths GCSE? (I need to make a decision by tonight) PLEASE HELP.

To get into the further maths course at my school you have to get a certain mark or above in the maths end of year exams in year 9. I didn't do very well so I didn't get offered a place.Now it's almost the end of year 10 (I've just been doing normal higher maths all this time) and long story short I've (probably) been offered to do further maths gcse.I have no idea what to do. My maths head of year discussed it with my teacher and I'm going to meet him at lunch tomorrow.

Here are the pros and cons (for me) for whether or not I should do FM:Pros:- It's an extra GCSE- I want to do something maths related in the futureCons:- I am doing really well this year in maths and I'm comfortable and confident with my teacher and class- My current teacher is the best maths teacher I've ever had and if I do FM then I'll be moved to class- It's really late in the year and it's just a lot of pressure put on me at this time as I already have a lot on my plate.

My heart is telling me DON'T DO IT.
Yes, I was disappointed when I didn't get in to Further Maths at the start of the year, but only a few weeks ago I was telling my friend that I'm glad I'm not doing FM.My head is 50/50. I feel like I might regret it if I refuse it.I don't know what to do, but I have to make a decision FAST.

Should I: Go to see the maths head of year to see if he is defo going to offer me it

Or

Should I: Get my mum to email him that I've changed my mind
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryvizz
To get into the further maths course at my school you have to get a certain mark or above in the maths end of year exams in year 9. I didn't do very well so I didn't get offered a place.

Now it's almost the end of year 10 (I've just been doing normal higher maths all this time) and my parents and I went to parents evening. My maths teacher was going on about how amazing I was and that I was top of the class and she was surprised when I said I didn't get into further maths last year. So my parents and her discussed it and my teacher recommended THEY GO TO THE HEAD OF MATHS AND ASK IF I CAN DO FURTHER MATHS.

I have no idea what to do. My maths head of year said he would discuss it with my teacher and reply in about a week. A week has passed and he emailed my mum that I should go and see him at lunch time (no idea if he's going to offer it to me or not).

I'm really considering just telling my mum to email him and say I'm not interesting so I don't go tomorrow. If I want to do that I have to do it by tonight.

I'm scared that if I go and see him tomorrow I won't have any choice in refusing it if I get offered to do further maths.

Here are the pros and cons (for me) for whether or not I should do FM:
Pros:
- It's an extra GCSE
- I want to do something maths related in the future

Cons:
- I am doing really well this year in maths and I'm comfortable and confident with my teacher and class
- My current teacher is the best maths teacher I've ever had and if I accept FM then I'll be moved to a class with a (horrific) not so good teacher whom I had last year
- It's really late in the year and it's just a lot of pressure put on me at this time as I'm already doing GCSEs in all three humanities (geog, history and RS) and I have 6 controlled assessments from now until the end of the 2015, a piano exam, my end of year exams and my mocks.

My heart is telling me DON'T DO IT. Yes, I was disappointed when I didn't get in to Further Maths at the start of the year, but only a few weeks ago I was telling my friend that I'm glad I'm not doing FM.

My head is 50/50. I feel like I might regret it if I refuse it, and I'm a person who let's regret get the better of me at times.

I don't know what to do, but I have to make a decision FAST.

Should I: Go to see the maths head of year (who scares me) to see what his has to say with the risk that I might not have the chance to refuse FM,

OR

Should I: Get my mum to email him that I've changed my mind (she said she would do it if I wanted her to)

I just wish my parents never talked to my head of year about this at parents evening...

you sound like you already know which decision you want to make - if you've weighed the pros and cons carefully and decide that it's best if you don't do GCSE FM, then don't - you can always do maths and further maths at A level! :biggrin:
Reply 2
yes do it I am doing it now it is good if you want to do maths for a level
As a maths teacher I'd say stick with your current teacher and aim for an A*.

You don't need GCSE FM and you'd feel behind the rest of the class which would not be good for your confidence.
Original post by Aladino
yes do it I am doing it now it is good if you want to do maths for a level

it doesn't really make a difference - I got A* at GCSE maths, didn't do further maths gcse and found A-level maths the easiest to understand out of all my subjects - so it depends on the individual, but most people who do alevels maths won't have done it anyway
Reply 5
I did further maths at GCSE, if you want to do maths at AS/A level, there's some overlap, use it as practice if you want...

Still a good GCSE to have though, people like to look at your GCSE's...

But it's your choice and if you already have a lot on your plate don't delve into something that isn't as necessary as your other GCSE's.

Hope that helps x
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
As a maths teacher I'd say stick with your current teacher and aim for an A*.

You don't need GCSE FM and you'd feel behind the rest of the class which would not be good for your confidence.

Original post by Athena.
I did further maths at GCSE, if you want to do maths at AS/A level, there's some overlap, use it as practice if you want...

Still a good GCSE to have though, people like to look at your GCSE's...

But it's your choice and if you already have a lot on your plate don't delve into something that isn't as necessary as your other GCSE's.

Hope that helps x

My teacher at parents evening flat out said 'She's definitely getting her A* next summer' and she thinks I'm capable... The only thing stopping me from refusing FM is the possibility that I'd regret it in the future when some of my peers have an extra GCSE! I've always been so indecisive :/
My teacher at parents evening flat out said 'She's definitely getting her A* next summer' and she thinks I'm capable... The only thing stopping me from refusing FM is the possibility that I'd regret it in the future when some of my peers have an extra GCSE! I've always been so indecisive :/

How many are you doing at the moment? :smile:
Reply 8

You will never ever be in the position in the future where having 1 less GCSE than someone else will make any difference whatsoever, not for university and certainly not a job. There are an immense amount of other things theyd look at first but number would never really come into consideration. So if that's the only thing stopping you from making a decision, it really isn't anything to worry about :smile:

Seriously, unis don't look at how many GCSEs you have but at how good the grades are. It's better to have 10A*s than 12 GCSEs (8A*, 4A) ... it's the quality of the results that matters.
Reply 10
Original post by turn-to-page394
How many are you doing at the moment? :smile:

I'm doing 10 GCSEs all at higher level: English Lang, Lit, Maths, Triple Science, History, Geography, RS Full Course and Spanish

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
you don't sound like you want to do it, so i guess you've made up your own mind. i wasn't put in the FM class in year 9, in about march of year 10 i was told i was taking my maths gcse in year 10 and fm in year 11 so i had a load of catching up to do, but i got A* maths and A^ further, so it is possible but don't do it if you think it puts you under too much pressure for little gain
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
Seriously, unis don't look at how many GCSEs you have but at how good the grades are. It's better to have 10A*s than 12 GCSEs (8A*, 4A) ... it's the quality of the results that matters.

I agree, and I'm aiming for all a* so I'd rather put all my focus and attention into getting 10 good gcses. I'm still talking to my parents about it so we'll see what happens! Thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by jennyh1
you don't sound like you want to do it, so i guess you've made up your own mind. i wasn't put in the FM class in year 9, in about march of year 10 i was told i was taking my maths gcse in year 10 and fm in year 11 so i had a load of catching up to do, but i got A* maths and A^ further, so it is possible but don't do it if you think it puts you under too much pressure for little gain

Would you say it's worth it?
My school still allows us to do fm a level even if we didn't do it at gcse, but we have to do a mini catch up course in the summer before year 12. I mean I'm definitely doing maths a level but Im 75% sure I won''t do further maths.

I'm just so indecisive urg :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Would you say it's worth it?
My school still allows us to do fm a level even if we didn't do it at gcse, but we have to do a mini catch up course in the summer before year 12. I mean I'm definitely doing maths a level but Im 75% sure I won''t do further maths.

I'm just so indecisive urg :s-smilie:

it depends. from my experience, i think it helps more with normal maths than further, but at the same time all my friends who did maths without fm gcse did fine, it just took them a bit longer to get the hang of things they hadn't done before which i had, but that's no big deal.
Reply 15
Original post by jennyh1
it depends. from my experience, i think it helps more with normal maths than further, but at the same time all my friends who did maths without fm gcse did fine, it just took them a bit longer to get the hang of things they hadn't done before which i had, but that's no big deal.

Oh right, thanks. Last question (i promise!): I know all schools are different, but when you were told you were doing FM, (1) did you get a choice to refuse it and (2) were you moved classes or did you just learn everything for FM individually?

I worry way to much as you can tell

EDIT: In my school we do gcse higher maths and further maths at the same time in year 11 so do you think that makes my situation better? idek.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh right, thanks. Last question (i promise!): I know all schools are different, but when you were told you were doing FM, (1) did you get a choice to refuse it and (2) were you moved classes or did you just learn everything for FM individually?

EDIT: In my school we do gcse higher maths and further maths at the same time in year 11 so do you think that makes my situation better? idek.

You have posted this thread and admit that you worry. Worrying affects confidence, and confidence affects ability to tackle problems in maths.

You will be fine for A level without GCSE FM - we don't even offer it and get many students getting A* at A level.
Based on what you've said, I wouldn't recommend doing FM. The cons you've listed (moving into a class you're not as comfortable with etc) far outweigh having an extra GCSE.
It's better to stick in your current class, ace Maths GCSE then go into your A-levels feeling prepared and confident, than to risk losing your confidence by transferring to another class and rushing through Further Maths GCSE :smile:

(I didn't do FM GCSE and it didn't hold me back from doing Maths and FM A-level and then a maths degree…)

Good luck!
Reply 18

i was allowed to refuse it, i'd already refused it once lol. and i stayed in the same class for year 10 and then moved into the further class in year 11. i guess it would make it better, but not sure what stage the fm class are at in each?
Reply 19
Original post by adventure_time
Based on what you've said, I wouldn't recommend doing FM. The cons you've listed (moving into a class you're not as comfortable with etc) far outweigh having an extra GCSE.
It's better to stick in your current class, ace Maths GCSE then go into your A-levels feeling prepared and confident, than to risk losing your confidence by transferring to another class and rushing through Further Maths GCSE :smile:

(I didn't do FM GCSE and it didn't hold me back from doing Maths and FM A-level and then a maths degree…)

Good luck!

I feel a little bit silly because the main reason I don't want to do it is because I don't want to move classes.. which sounds like a silly reason when I say it out loud!

I'm probably going to refuse it though because I feel like my teacher this year is AMAZING... although, I'm going to go and see my maths head of year and see what he has to say (wish me luck, he seems so serious and intimidating!)

I think in my school in year 10&11 the mindset it 'you have to do fm gcse to do fm a level' even though that isn't the case as you have said.

Thanks for your reply, it really put things into perspective as I too want to take a degree in either pure maths or something that involves maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest