Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, i'm trying to fill in my student loan form. My Mum doesn't get an income as she gets maintenance payments from her ex. This would entitle me to claim the maintenance grant because this is her only 'income'.
Firstly how would she prove this as household income as there is no NI number involved neither HMRC documentation?
Also secondly as I receive disability living allowance am i entitled to claim the disability part of the maintenance grant and the general maintenance grant or does one cancel out the other?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago
Hi there.

If your mother lives in the UK she should have a National Insurance number, is there a reason she does not? If she doesn't have any taxable income then she can just input £0 and we will check this with HMRC, however this would require a NINO.

There is only one type of maintenance grant. However, if you claim disability related benefits then you may be entitled to Special Support Grant which would mean you can get a higher rate of loan.


Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
new posts
to top
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


University open days

  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
No I haven't decided yet (35)
Yes but I might change my mind (24)

Watched Threads

View All