The Student Room Group

Best exam prep! SOCIOLOGY

Hi, I am currently an A-level student who is just over 3/4 of her way through the AS year! I am studying Sociology and this year we are covering Families and Households and Education with Research Methods. Having nearly completed a year of this subject I have developed a strong interest in the subject and hopefully want to progress to studying it at higher education.

For this to happen of course, I want to get the best possible grade I can get, so I was wondering if any past sociology students on here had any tips/techniques that got them through revision and more importantly their exams. At the moment I am very weak where essays are concerned and as past/current students may know, the exams are largely essay based. I would strongly appreciate any help I can get, thank you :smile:
It's all in the memorisation. You memorise it, you can literally answer the questions word for word by recalling your notes. That's what I did, got an A.

My college gave us a sheet for each topic within the unit and I just made notes and memorised it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by soanonymous
It's all in the memorisation. You memorise it, you can literally answer the questions word for word by recalling your notes. That's what I did, got an A. My college gave us a sheet for each topic within the unit and I just made notes and memorised it all. Posted from TSR Mobile
While I appreciate your advice, that's exactly what I have been doing. Making revision cards/mind maps the lot! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help where my essay structure is concerned, I seem to 'whaffle' in exams (excuse the term) 😄 because i lack that basic structure! I think I have to knowledge, I just need advice on how to apply it successfully! Thank you anyway. Well done for your A!
Original post by Natweston98
Hi, I am currently an A-level student who is just over 3/4 of her way through the AS year! I am studying Sociology and this year we are covering Families and Households and Education with Research Methods. Having nearly completed a year of this subject I have developed a strong interest in the subject and hopefully want to progress to studying it at higher education.

For this to happen of course, I want to get the best possible grade I can get, so I was wondering if any past sociology students on here had any tips/techniques that got them through revision and more importantly their exams. At the moment I am very weak where essays are concerned and as past/current students may know, the exams are largely essay based. I would strongly appreciate any help I can get, thank you :smile:

I'm doing this subject and exam board too so I understand the worries about essays. I try and do several past papers every week to get the practice in.

As for the "whaffling" bit, all I can really say is that you need to constantly re-assess as you write, thinking "Am I still answering the question? Could this be written in fewer words and still say the same thing?" You're pushed for time in the exam, so try and write concisely. Make sure there's a clear link to the question. Don't just put unrelated stuff in because you think your knowledge about Chester and the neo-conventional family will impress the examiner when you're answering a question specifically about childhood.

I'm a current student and I'm not getting the best marks in my essays at the moment (partly due to the fact I forget to put in case studies and partly due to my teacher's harsh marking, I suspect, although I think I still come out somewhere around a B grade) but I no longer lose marks for paraphrasing, "whaffling" or going off on tangents. Just keep focused on the question, and you'll hopefully start seeing some better grades on those essays. Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by soanonymous
It's all in the memorisation. You memorise it, you can literally answer the questions word for word by recalling your notes. That's what I did, got an A.

My college gave us a sheet for each topic within the unit and I just made notes and memorised it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AnnieGakusei
I'm doing this subject and exam board too so I understand the worries about essays. I try and do several past papers every week to get the practice in.

As for the "whaffling" bit, all I can really say is that you need to constantly re-assess as you write, thinking "Am I still answering the question? Could this be written in fewer words and still say the same thing?" You're pushed for time in the exam, so try and write concisely. Make sure there's a clear link to the question. Don't just put unrelated stuff in because you think your knowledge about Chester and the neo-conventional family will impress the examiner when you're answering a question specifically about childhood.

I'm a current student and I'm not getting the best marks in my essays at the moment (partly due to the fact I forget to put in case studies and partly due to my teacher's harsh marking, I suspect, although I think I still come out somewhere around a B grade) but I no longer lose marks for paraphrasing, "whaffling" or going off on tangents. Just keep focused on the question, and you'll hopefully start seeing some better grades on those essays. Best of luck! :smile:

can you share your resources here instead of waffling?

Quick Reply

Latest