The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Nottingham for Medicine?

The title's pretty self-explanatory - I have no idea which to chose! Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated as I really want to chose soon!

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but which is more prestigious? It's not really going to sway my decision, more just out of interest as I've heard that Nottingham is, yet Birmingham has higher grade offers.

MANY MANY THANKS
Original post by georgia-ep

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but which is more prestigious? It's not really going to sway my decision, more just out of interest as I've heard that Nottingham is, yet Birmingham has higher grade offers.

MANY MANY THANKS

If you're going to get caught up in the prestige game, there's only a handful of medical schools in the country which would be regarded by laypersons as "prestigious" - and neither Birmingham nor Nottingham have made it into that exclusive club. Birmingham is way older however, if that makes any difference to you.

Amongst medics, no one cares about such nonsense so you should just pick whichever you like more. Maybe spend a Saturday visiting each uni in order to help make up your mind?

You can't go wrong with either - both are great student cities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
The title's pretty self-explanatory - I have no idea which to chose! Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated as I really want to chose soon!

MANY MANY THANKS

It really, really doesn't matter. They're both good medical schools at good universities of roughly equivalent "prestige," even if that was worth anything, which for medicine it isn't.
Find something else to make your decision with.

MANY MANY THANKS

To be honest they are around the same. I would choose Birmingham just because of the new hospital.
Do you want to live in Birmingham or Nottingham? That's how I would decide. Nobody in medicine gives a good god damn about "prestige". They just don't.
Reply 5
If I remember rightly its Nottingham who include a Bsc within their 5 year course, so it's worth slightly less on foundation programme applications and (perhaps) less respected later on in your career than the full intercalated Bsc which Birmingham offer. This probably won't be a deciding factor for you, but something to take into account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tronick
If I remember rightly its Nottingham who include a Bsc within their 5 year course, so it's worth slightly less on foundation programme applications and (perhaps) less respected later on in your career than the full intercalated Bsc which Birmingham offer. This probably won't be a deciding factor for you, but something to take into account.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a good point, but at the same time, if you were to do the 5 year course at both unis the Nottingham one would potentially give you an extra point or two on FY apps.
Reply 7
Original post by Okorange
That is a good point, but at the same time, if you were to do the 5 year course at both unis the Nottingham one would potentially give you an extra point or two on FY apps.

Very true
I've heard Birmingham has one of the toughest first years for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending