University of Leicester - Maths Applicants Watch

lolakinss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hellooo..

I've created this thread to see who's planning to go University of Leicester in September, doing a Maths course
(Maths, Maths and Actuarial Science, Financial Maths, etc..)

I plan to study Maths and Actuarial Science

Soo.. yeaaah
Avittu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing the same course too in September ☺️☺️
Leking9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Financial maths here!
Mr_Muffin_Man
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lolakinss)
Hellooo..

I've created this thread to see who's planning to go University of Leicester in September, doing a Maths course
(Maths, Maths and Actuarial Science, Financial Maths, etc..)

I plan to study Maths and Actuarial Science

Soo.. yeaaah
Good luck with it! Just graduated this year from maths and actuarial science at Leicester if you need any help feel free to message!
Leking9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr_Muffin_Man)
Good luck with it! Just graduated this year from maths and actuarial science at Leicester if you need any help feel free to message!
How is uni maths? Is is a huge step up from A2?
Mr_Muffin_Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Leking9)
How is uni maths? Is is a huge step up from A2?
Its definitely a huge step from A2. A2 maths is the building blocks that you need to be able to understand the maths you do at uni but it does depend on what modules you do. For example, the hardest maths I actually had to do was integration by parts or substitution/solving first order differential equations but if you picked modules which heavily rely on integration there would be a lot you need to learn. Uni maths is difficult because of the order and understanding that you do things in rather than just answering questions. Further maths I'd say would definitely help with the first semester at uni but after that everyone is kind of at the same level.

If you have any other questions feel free to message.
Avittu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, was wondering what the first year timetables like for actuarial science? Thanks in advance 😀
Mr_Muffin_Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Avittu)
Hi, was wondering what the first year timetables like for actuarial science? Thanks in advance 😀
First year is actually really packed in comparison to second and third year.
First year you'll have linear algebra 1 and 2, calculus 1 and 2, macro and micro economics, introduction to stats and probability. You'll also have problem classes for each of these, for the 20 credit modules you'll have a class once a week and for the 10 credit modules you'll have a class every other week. It does get really packed but as soon as you get to second year it'll quieten down and third year is even more free.
Avittu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First year is actually really packed in comparison to second and third year.
First year you'll have linear algebra 1 and 2, calculus 1 and 2, macro and micro economics, introduction to stats and probability. You'll also have problem classes for each of these, for the 20 credit modules you'll have a class once a week and for the 10 credit modules you'll have a class every other week. It does get really packed but as soon as you get to second year it'll quieten down and third year is even more free.
Thanks for the help 😀 so I'd assume you'd have been at uni 5 days a week in first year?
Mr_Muffin_Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Avittu)
Thanks for the help 😀 so I'd assume you'd have been at uni 5 days a week in first year?
Yeah uni 5 days a week with a half day wednesday
lolakinss
Rep:
?
Yeah uni 5 days a week with a half day wednesday
Did you have to do a lot of group work? If so, in which year(s)?
Mr_Muffin_Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lolakinss)
Did you have to do a lot of group work? If so, in which year(s)?
There wans't really a lot of group work throughout the degree, there was one module introduction to statistics where you have a few pieces of coursework to do as a group, but that was only for first year, in second year there was linear statistics where you had to do 3-4 pieces of coursework as a group and econometrics where you have one project to do as a group. Other than that I don't think I had to do much group work which was formally assessed, but you'll have plenty of opportunities to work in groups with everyone else doing the same work as you!
lolakinss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leking9)
Financial maths here!
Cool, which accommodation have you chosen?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Leicester
    Undergraduate Open Days - #LaunchYourself at Leicester Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Nov '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads