I love writing and blogging, but I now want to be paid for it? What do I do?

Watch
username1308327
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey

I am currently studying at university but in my spare time I write for magazines (including the one at my university) and blogs. I love doing this, I really enjoy it and I am so passionate. As a career I definitely want to get into magazine journalism. I also run my own blog.

I love writing but at the moment I do it for free. I want to step things up a notch so now I want to be a paid freelance writer. I want to get paid writing gigs and I want to be paid for my passions. I've tried websites like oDesk, ELance, Freelancer, etc but I find them a bit useless to be honest, and I tried asking for advice months ago on TSR on how to become a paid freelance writer and get writing gigs but I just got completely shut down and I didn't receive any helpful advice.

Anyway, what do I do? It's getting to the point where I want to start doing paid writing work.

Any advice?
jpow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How much traffic do you get on your blogs? If it's substantial, you could think about whacking in some ads to monetise your blog.
username1308327
Rep:
?
(Original post by jpow)
How much traffic do you get on your blogs? If it's substantial, you could think about whacking in some ads to monetise your blog.
I don't get tons and tons of traffic but I do have ads on my blog (Google AdSense and ShopSense).
Jibola240
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe list-verse? The pay 60 quid per list:

http://listverse.com/write-get-paid/

If You don't like the idea writing in a list format, then maybe sites like helium or Hugpages?
username1308327
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jibola240)
Maybe list-verse? The pay 60 quid per list:

http://listverse.com/write-get-paid/

If You don't like the idea writing in a list format, then maybe sites like helium or Hugpages?
OK will check those out.

Thanks.
username1308327
Rep:
?
Just to add, I am also interested in copy writing roles.

Any advice?
T94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why don't you try reviewing certain goods you've tried recently? You might catch the attention of the manufacturers and they might string up some sort of deal with you? I'm not too sure though since I don't blog. Good luck!
University College Birmingham
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kittykatxoxo)
Hey

I am currently studying at university but in my spare time I write for magazines (including the one at my university) and blogs. I love doing this, I really enjoy it and I am so passionate. As a career I definitely want to get into magazine journalism. I also run my own blog.

I love writing but at the moment I do it for free. I want to step things up a notch so now I want to be a paid freelance writer. I want to get paid writing gigs and I want to be paid for my passions. I've tried websites like oDesk, ELance, Freelancer, etc but I find them a bit useless to be honest, and I tried asking for advice months ago on TSR on how to become a paid freelance writer and get writing gigs but I just got completely shut down and I didn't receive any helpful advice.

Anyway, what do I do? It's getting to the point where I want to start doing paid writing work.

Any advice?
Speak to your university to see if they would pay you to blog about your experiences as a student. UCB employ current students to blog about their experiences and course to inspire potential students. One has just won the National UK Blog Awards.
username1308327
Rep:
?
(Original post by University College Birmingham)
Speak to your university to see if they would pay you to blog about your experiences as a student. UCB employ current students to blog about their experiences and course to inspire potential students. One has just won the National UK Blog Awards.
Unfortunately I don't have anything like that at my university. I can write for newspapers and magazines at my university but they don't pay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (898)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads