Jay_92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone!
I recently graduated from a Greek university where I studied economics.
Now I want to continue my education with a maters degree in finance. Particularly I am intersested in studying in the Netherlands due to high quality of education and affordable tuition fees in contrast to British universities which are on the top in the field of economics.
I have heard of Tilburg university and I am thinking to apply. I know that in the field of economics is very good when it comes to research. However I don't know if a masters degree in finance from Tilburg (also a CFA Partner) can have a merit in the workplace, meaning that I am not sure about its reputation and how the employers coneive it . Unfortunately i dont know anyone who studied there so as to have a reference.

best regards,

Jay
University of Groningen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dear Jay,

Congratulations on graduating. Great to read you're considering a master's degree in the Netherlands. Aside from chatting here, I would recommend contacting Tilburg University directly and asking them to put you in touch with some current students. Tilburg can probably also tell you where alumni have gone on to work, showing you the value employers attach to Dutch higher education.

There are a number of universities in the Netherlands with strong finance degrees. Be sure to take a look at some of the other great options too.

All the best,
John Smyth
panos1990861
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am Greek and I am currently following the M.Sc in Finance in Tilburg University. The program is high level and the CFA track that you are interested in, prepares you for the CFA level 1 exam. The career opportunities after you graduate are many as far as the Netherlands is concerned. However,it would much better if you learn Dutch(big asset). Also, from my personal experience , I think that the career opportunities in UK are limited compared to the opportunities of the graduates from UK schools.
Jay_92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Panos thank you for your answer! As long as I have all the required documents I will apply to Tilburg next year. Another question I have is which has a better reputation..erasmus ( rsm and ese) or tilburg? I hear that Tilburg is one of the best universities in the NL. But it follows RSM . Is that true? And you' re absolutely right about the language thing. is there any class in Tilburg Uni where one can attend to Dutch courses? And what about the courses of the msc program? Are they demanding?
panos1990861
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that the Finance and Investments of RSM has a better reputation but I do not know further details. As far as Dutch courses are concerned there are some in the university but you have to be quick because there are limited positions. However, personally during the first cemester I did not have enough time to follow the Dutch lessons because I had to study for the Master courses. After that , I had more time. The courses of the M.Sc are demanding but I also believe that it depends a lot on your background. Finally I think you should apply for the master as soon as possible because there are some deadlines which I dont really remember.
L_12345
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,I am currently considering my offer for Ms Finance at Tilburg. I was wondering whether you could share your opinion about the internship options during study. How hard and quantitive is the curriculum? Is the carrer center active and helpful in finding a job placement?Thank you in advance.
panos1990861
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that it is not too hard to find an internship but the curriculum is demanding and so I am not sure you will have enough time to do both at the same time. Moreover, some students do their thesis at a company and so they combine the thesis with an internship. Also some students finish their studies and then find an internship but this means that you will pay tuition fees after you finish with your studies because you have to be a student during an internship. Finally, i think that the curriculum is not so quantitative as quantitative finance or econometrics even though you will also have econometrics and also some quantitative investment courses
L_12345
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you, very much for the quick response. Could you please also share your impressions on the employability opportunities for internationals...I have heard that lots of the offers are for Dutch speakers. Also, are the internship and job offers from the finance departments of multinationals or more from banks, investment funds, etc. Thanks again
panos1990861
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that knowing Dutch is the biggest asset that you can have. Knowing Dutch and having this M.Sc degree makes it very possible to find a job. If you do not know Dutch, then your chances decrease but you still have many opportunities. However the competition is tougher. Many people start with an internship and then find a regular job
eStarZ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I did BSC at Tilburg University for management studies. We also had some finance courses and yes it is quite demanding and has good reputation. There are also possibilities to take Dutch lessons.
wagner_dafaq
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I strongly suggest to go elsewhere, may be Erasmus Rotterdam for their international reputation and more industry-practitioners in academia. Tilburg focuses too much on theory and published research. I am disappointed from their quantitative finance program. The curriculum is also out-dated from industry requirements and also when you compare to any other university. It simply sucks here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.91%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.75%

Watched Threads