The Student Room Group

Edexcel calculators

i was just wondering, from the following list wwhich ones are and arent allowed for edexcel maths exams?

casio fx-991es plus
casio fx-991es
Sharp EL-W506
Sharp EL-W506b

are all 4 of these allowed? thanks :smile:
Original post by kelefi
i was just wondering, from the following list wwhich ones are and arent allowed for edexcel maths exams?

casio fx-991es plus
casio fx-991es
Sharp EL-W506
Sharp EL-W506b

are all 4 of these allowed? thanks :smile:

Don't know about sharp but both fx991 es versions are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
thanks, now i just need to find out about the sharps. (im guessing they are allowed as they basically do the same thing?)
Original post by kelefi
thanks, now i just need to find out about the sharps. (im guessing they are allowed as they basically do the same thing?)

What features do they have fx991 es doesn't have (Btw fx991 is very good)

Posted from TSR Mobile
fx991 so good you can solve quadratic/cubic equations in 2 seconds :biggrin:

also really good for z value probabilities
Original post by Patrick2810
fx991 so good you can solve quadratic/cubic equations in 2 seconds :biggrin:

also really good for z value probabilities

Out of interest do you know how to use all the options in the distr section? I know how to use the greater than and less than ones but I don't really know what the other ones do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Out of interest do you know how to use all the options in the distr section? I know how to use the greater than and less than ones but I don't really know what the other ones do

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry nope, only use more and less than

try youtube
Original post by Patrick2810
sorry nope, only use more and less than

try youtube

Thought so haha no one knows what they do lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by kelefi
casio fx-991es plus
casio fx-991es
Sharp EL-W506
Sharp EL-W506b
are all 4 of these allowed?/QUOTE]

Edexcel's advice is here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/mathematics-2015.news.html?article=%2Fcontent%2Fdemo%2Fen%2Fnews-policy%2Fsubject-updates%2Fmathematics%2Fcalculator-regulations-for-2013-14&pageTypes=
Would you recommend getting one of these calculators now? My C3 and C4 exams are in less than 2 months. Do they help significantly?
Original post by anonwinner
Would you recommend getting one of these calculators now? My C3 and C4 exams are in less than 2 months. Do they help significantly?

I'll give you a list of things the fx991 es does and them you can judge for yourself (since I don't know what's in c4)

Solve quadratic cubic or simultaneous equations (with 2 or 3 unknowns)

Differentiate and integrate numerically (will also work with trig functions)

Sum any series.

Vector mode (don't know much about this mode)

Complex mode (as above)

Matrices (as above)

Solve equations iteratively

Normal distribution tables

Probably some other stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
I'll give you a list of things the fx991 es does and them you can judge for yourself (since I don't know what's in c4)

Solve quadratic cubic or simultaneous equations (with 2 or 3 unknowns)

Differentiate and integrate numerically (will also work with trig functions)

Sum any series.

Vector mode (don't know much about this mode)

Complex mode (as above)

Matrices (as above)

Solve equations iteratively

Normal distribution tables

Probably some other stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the comprehensive list.

So can you literally just put in something and it will differentiate it? How is that even allowed?
Original post by anonwinner
Thanks for the comprehensive list.

So can you literally just put in something and it will differentiate it? How is that even allowed?

It cannot differentiate symbolically ie in c3 it would not differentiate xlnx but it can tell you the gradient for a certain value of x. It also cannot do equations involving them it only will differentiate of you tell it what value of x you want the gradient of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
so when it says differentiate/integrate symbolically, does it mean it cant integrate something like x^2. because this calculator has an integrate button which gives you a value for the definite integrat (e.g. x^2 from 0 to 1 is 0.33333333).

im confused about what the paper says when it says the calculator cant do symbolic integration or differentiation. and i dont want to get chucked out of my exam for misunderstanding!
Original post by kelefi
so when it says differentiate/integrate symbolically, does it mean it cant integrate something like x^2. because this calculator has an integrate button which gives you a value for the definite integrat (e.g. x^2 from 0 to 1 is 0.33333333).

im confused about what the paper says when it says the calculator cant do symbolic integration or differentiation. and i dont want to get chucked out of my exam for misunderstanding!

By symbolic differentiation it means differentiating in terms of x ie if you could type in 3x2 + 4x and it would tell you that that integrates to x^3 +2x^2 + c. This calculator only gives numeric answers so hence is fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
ok thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest