Approaches to the history sources paper

Watch
Joy M
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey Guys! I need help with the AS history sources paper and how exactly to approach it best. Should I include historian views for the questions in this paper and when evaluating the RBU (reliability, bias and usefulness) of a source, should I integrate them into my essay points or leave them for the end/conclusion. I'd really appreciate any help I can get with this!
The Marshall
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have a look at this:

How do I structure a Section A style answer?
How far do sources 1, 2 and 3 agree that......
What is this question like?
- This wants you to understand three sources and explain how much they agree with an argument based on WHAT They argue and how RELIABLE and USEFUL They are as evidence.
- It wants you to be able to compare and contrast the sources and evaluate them.
Introduction
• Briefly cross- reference the sources by explaining which sources agree with the statement and which sources disagree with the statement
• Give your line of argument on the question – in other words answer it! How far do the sources agree on the statement that you have been given. In this bit you should have already thought about the reliability of the sources in your planning for this and made a judgement on how far they agree based on their weight (whether their content agrees with it and whether they are useful pieces of evidence)
Paragraph one: Argue which sources agree with the question and how far they agree
- Select the source that agrees with the statement to the largest extent in terms of it’s content.
- Explain how it agrees with the statement (use small quotes and explain these)
- Back it up with references to bits of any of the other two sources that also agree (corroborate) with the statement (here you are CROSS-REFERNCING)
- Then evaluate how much weight the source/s you have used actually give to the statement in the questions by considering their nature, origin and purpose
- Reach a judgement on therefore how far the sources you have used in this paragraph agree with the statement

Paragraph two:
- Select the source/s that disagrees with the statement in terms of their content.
- Explain how they disagree with the statement (use small quotes and explain these). When you explain you must explain how the sources agree (CROSS-REFERENCING) with each other or perhaps how they both agree with the statement but in different ways. Also clearly compare tem to the source/ sources you used in paragraph 1 – how do these sources challenge those used in paragraph 1?
- Then evaluate how much weight the source/s you have used actually give against statement in the questions by considering their nature, origin and purpose
- Reach a judgement on therefore how far the sources you have used in this paragraph disagree with the statement
Conclusion
Sum up how far the sources agree with the statement based on their content and reliability
Do this by weighing up the evidence – refer to all sources in the conclusion

How do I structure section B style answers?
Section B is worth 40 marks
Use sources.........and your own knowledge.
Do you accept/ agree with the view that.............
Explain your answer using the sources and your own knowledge

What is this question like?
It is asking you to examine the three sources to debate the view in the question using the three sources and your own knowledge.
Introduction
• Briefly cross- reference the sources by explaining which sources agree with the statement and which sources disagree with the statement
• Give your line of argument on the question – in other words answer it! How far do you agree with the view in the question based on the views of the sources, their validity and your own knowledge.

Main part 1: Consider the sources that agree with the statement and support and evaluate them with your own knowledge
- Select the sources that agree with the view in the question
- Explain the message of the sources in your own words and how they relate to the question. Make sure you incorporate small quotes to reinforce your points
- Use your own knowledge to support the arguments of the sources in relation to the question
- Evaluate the content, origin and purpose of the sources (in other words challenge their reliability, typicality, completeness) and also use your own knowledge to challenge the views of the sources
- LINK back to the question by making a judgement therefore on how far the statement in the question is correct based on the two sources you have evaluated and your own knowledge
Main part 2
- Select the source that appears to disagree with the view in the question
- Explain how it disagrees and why it disagrees. Make sure you incorporate small quotes to reinforce your points
- Develop the views of the source by using your own knowledge
- Evaluate the content, origin and purpose of the source (in other words explore it’s reliability, typicality, completeness)
- Challenge the source with your own knowledge
- LINK back to the question by making a judgement therefore on how far the statement in the question is correct based on the source you have evaluated and your own knowledge
Conclusion
- Reach a clear judgment on the question based on discriminating use of the source and your own knowledge

It isn't clear that section B should be 2 paragraphs for, two against.
for Section B:
Introduction
2 paragraphs for the question
2 paragraphs against the question
Conclusion

50 minutes – 10 mins planning
40 marks – 24 own k and 16 sources.

Also make sure you:
Cross reference the sources in each paragraph
Avoid telling the story and focus on the question
Make your intro clear – context and refer to the sources
Reach a judgement in the conclusion and refer to the weighting of the sources
Avoid paraphrasing the sources

Hope this helps! Image
Joy M
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, I really appreciate this. Great stuff :clap2:
The Marshall
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joy M)
Thank you so much, I really appreciate this. Great stuff :clap2:
No problem, here's the thread by the way:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2007237

http://www.wikihow.com/Answer-a-Sour...ion-in-History
Joy M
Rep:
?
Cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (59)
28.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.32%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
56.1%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.8%

Watched Threads