Digital97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I start at university in September, and have been thinking about trying to learn a language alongside the degree (electronic engineering). It would be either french or german, I'm not decided which yet. I didn't study a language at AS or A level, but I did get an A at german GCSE. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with learning a language alongside their degree, as I would like to know how much time it took up - I don't want to end up devoting all my time to the degree and learning a language.

Thanks
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It'll probably take about 4-5 hours per week including practice and homework, which is definitely doable without affecting what you can do in your free time unless your uni schedules language classes in the evening in which case it may interfere with some societies you might want to do.
SarcasticMel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Digital97)
Hi,

I start at university in September, and have been thinking about trying to learn a language alongside the degree (electronic engineering). It would be either french or german, I'm not decided which yet. I didn't study a language at AS or A level, but I did get an A at german GCSE. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with learning a language alongside their degree, as I would like to know how much time it took up - I don't want to end up devoting all my time to the degree and learning a language.

Thanks
You can learn a language whenever. Or did you mean specifically a joint engineering language degree?

And stick with German - not just Germany need lots of engineers, Switzerland are also looking (was at ETH today they had a careers fair).
Digital97
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcasticMel)
You can learn a language whenever. Or did you mean specifically a joint engineering language degree?

And stick with German - not just Germany need lots of engineers, Switzerland are also looking (was at ETH today they had a careers fair).
The university I'll be going to (grades permitting) is Surrey, they offer a qualification in a language, awarded by the university, alongside any degree. It doesn't count towards the degree but you do get credits from it, and eventually a qualification - the degree is just electronic engineering and separate. You make a good point, I think the engineering industry is bigger there, but I'm particularly interested in the space industry and the two primary languages of the European Space Agency are English and French, which led me to consider French.

Thanks to both of you for your help, this is something I'll have to decide on fairly quickly once I'm at uni so advice is very appreciated
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll be good with either language, pick the one you prefer. With German, it's more linked with science but most young Germans speak fluent English these days, which is why I stopped learning German and carried on with French - the French are nowhere near as good at English.
SarcasticMel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The university I'll be going to (grades permitting) is Surrey, they offer a qualification in a language, awarded by the university, alongside any degree. It doesn't count towards the degree but you do get credits from it, and eventually a qualification - the degree is just electronic engineering and separate. You make a good point, I think the engineering industry is bigger there, but I'm particularly interested in the space industry and the two primary languages of the European Space Agency are English and French, which led me to consider French.

Thanks to both of you for your help, this is something I'll have to decide on fairly quickly once I'm at uni so advice is very appreciated
Switzerland has a French part, too
Summit
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

If I were you I would pick French, not just because it is more useful for your career choices, but also because it is spoken in way more countries than German, therefore increasing your job opportunities abroad.

But I'm biased, since, if I get the grades, I will study Materials Science and Engineering with French at Sheffield next year!
SarcasticMel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Summit)
If I were you I would pick French, not just because it is more useful for your career choices, but also because it is spoken in way more countries than German, therefore increasing your job opportunities abroad.

But I'm biased, since, if I get the grades, I will study Materials Science and Engineering with French at Sheffield next year!
It's spoken in countries where the need for engineers is limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Digital97
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies, it's food for thought . I might spend some time over the summer looking at both languages, to help decide.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads