any vegans here??

Watch
newfreshstart
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
i want to start eating a plant based diet but idk where to start!?
any vegans here that can help me? im confused on the raw till 4 and hclf stuff...are they the same thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maradiah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by newfreshstart)
any vegans here that can help me? im confused on the raw till 4 and hclf stuff...are they the same thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am seriously considering the life style of a Vegan, it's a win win in my eyes.

I am starting off with a smoothie maker, just blend all my 5-a-day and so that would be a good starting point OP.
newfreshstart
Rep:
?
yes same! and yes i make alot of smoothies, i just never know what to have for lunch/dinner

and what does OP mean? sorry if this sounds stupid :/
Maradiah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes same! and yes i make alot of smoothies, i just never know what to have for lunch/dinner

and what does OP mean? sorry if this sounds stupid :/
It means Original Poster.

You could try a Vegetable curry, tomato soup, mac and cheese and many others.

It all depends on if you're willing to cook rather than order a take-away.
channies
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was a vegan for a few months, but I've kind of gone off the wagon and started eating dairy again, but I was never a healthy one anyway.

There are quite a few different recipes though, I like veggie stew and making soups which are quite easy to make and there's quite a few channels on YouTube which are good for starting off but I've forgotten what they are called. If I remember I'll edit my post though

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you do go vegan just make sure you are getting ALL the nutrients you need, a lot of vegans seem to not do so well at this when they start and can end up deficient.

And for the love of God please please for your health do not listen to anything freelee the raw til 4 idiot queen on YouTube says. she's just plain misinformed, uneducated and dangerous.
channies
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
If you do go vegan just make sure you are getting ALL the nutrients you need, a lot of vegans seem to not do so well at this when they start and can end up deficient.

And for the love of God please please for your health do not listen to anything freelee the raw til 4 idiot queen on YouTube says. she's just plain misinformed, uneducated and dangerous.
Is she the one who eats 42 bananas in one day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by channies)
Is she the one who eats 42 bananas in one day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Something like that yeah. she has also written a 'book' I decided to give it a chance, one of the worst excuses for writing I have ever seen. Full of complete nonsense and no scientific sources...but then she doesn't believe in doctors.
mistel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its HARD lmao, i have no idea what you have been watching, but its possible,

take it step by step, and ignore any one who says you cant get ur nutrients or protein,

eat nuts, kale etc
Miss Andry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm seriously considering it. An issue I have though is the choice to dare to be finnicky about what you eat to the point where you are almost voluntarily starving yourself, when there are people who are starving without choice. Also it's that good quality foods can be hard to find or expensive for many people, so it looks a little elitist. I've never seen like a vegan in a council estate lol

However I would like to dedicate myself to it for a test really but I'd prefer not to experiment with my body or miss out on delicious ****. If I wanna stay healthy, I'll soak in a hot bath and sweat out all the toxins, and jog a bit. Boom. :gangster:
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mistel)
Its HARD lmao, i have no idea what you have been watching, but its possible,

take it step by step, and ignore any one who says you cant get ur nutrients or protein,

eat nuts, kale etc
Most vegans should supplement vitamin b12 as studies have found vegans are usually deficient in it as it is best obtained from animal products and very hard to get from a purely vegan diet.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm vegan and have been for years. It's not hard once you've done the learning of what you can eat and where near you is good for eating out. People get their selves into a silly faff with micro nutrition. These days all soy milk has b12 so have it in your cereal and you're good other to watch is omegas, walnuts or flax.

If you want nutrition advise look up 'Jack Norris RD vegan'. There's lots of crazy/stupid out there- raw foodists generally are. But his aim is to give vegans good info rather than trying to sell veganism.

I do generally find it funny when meat eaters with ****ty diets go on about vegans being nutritionally difficult. It's not like you'll die if you don't get totally perfect nutrition and if you half engage your brain you are doing better than most people.

I'm not sure what exactly you want to know so feel free to ask more specific questions. But generally I recommend breaking it down into little changes at a time. Join your local vegan Facebook group for places to eat and vegan supermarket finds uk. Vegan dad and post punk kitchen are probably my two favourite recipe sites. Happy cow for places to eat out.

And for the record I eat more doughnuts than smoothies. Yesterday I ate:
Oats with soy milk and berries
Toast and soy meatloaf with onion gravy
Chickpea and aubergine curry with rice
Chocolate ans fruit
Lentil burgers, frozen mixed veg and potatoes

And I just did my weekly shop for £18 though can probably add a few pound in stuff I already have or will run out of during the week.
newfreshstart
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
I'm vegan and have been for years. It's not hard once you've done the learning of what you can eat and where near you is good for eating out. People get their selves into a silly faff with micro nutrition. These days all soy milk has b12 so have it in your cereal and you're good other to watch is omegas, walnuts or flax. If you want nutrition advise look up 'Jack Norris RD vegan'. There's lots of crazy/stupid out there- raw foodists generally are. But his aim is to give vegans good info rather than trying to sell veganism. I do generally find it funny when meat eaters with ****ty diets go on about vegans being nutritionally difficult. It's not like you'll die if you don't get totally perfect nutrition and if you half engage your brain you are doing better than most people. I'm not sure what exactly you want to know so feel free to ask more specific questions. But generally I recommend breaking it down into little changes at a time. Join your local vegan Facebook group for places to eat and vegan supermarket finds uk. Vegan dad and post punk kitchen are probably my two favourite recipe sites. Happy cow for places to eat out.And for the record I eat more doughnuts than smoothies. Yesterday I ate:Oats with soy milk and berriesToast and soy meatloaf with onion gravyChickpea and aubergine curry with riceChocolate ans fruitLentil burgers, frozen mixed veg and potatoesAnd I just did my weekly shop for £18 though can probably add a few pound in stuff I already have or will run out of during the week.
ahhh thank you! and i will definitely look up those people u mentioned!
also, im going to do a food shop, any suggestions on what i should buy??
newfreshstart
Rep:
?
If you do go vegan just make sure you are getting ALL the nutrients you need, a lot of vegans seem to not do so well at this when they start and can end up deficient.And for the love of God please please for your health do not listen to anything freelee the raw til 4 idiot queen on YouTube says. she's just plain misinformed, uneducated and dangerous.
ive heard of her but idk why everyone dislikes her so much?
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ive heard of her but idk why everyone dislikes her so much?
Because she is spreading a completely awful diet that is unhealthy and dangerous. And she is influencing a lot of vulnerable people and young girls who don't know any better. Herself and her boyfriend are also quite abusive to anyone who speaks out against them or provides scientific basis as to why their diets aren't safe.
pearl_rose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey everyone,

whilst I'm not vegan but have tried to be thought I'd ask if anyone watches 'fullyrawkristina'

and what y'all think of her diet?
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
I'm vegan and have been for years. It's not hard once you've done the learning of what you can eat and where near you is good for eating out. People get their selves into a silly faff with micro nutrition. These days all soy milk has b12 so have it in your cereal and you're good other to watch is omegas, walnuts or flax.

If you want nutrition advise look up 'Jack Norris RD vegan'. There's lots of crazy/stupid out there- raw foodists generally are. But his aim is to give vegans good info rather than trying to sell veganism.

I do generally find it funny when meat eaters with ****ty diets go on about vegans being nutritionally difficult. It's not like you'll die if you don't get totally perfect nutrition and if you half engage your brain you are doing better than most people.

I'm not sure what exactly you want to know so feel free to ask more specific questions. But generally I recommend breaking it down into little changes at a time. Join your local vegan Facebook group for places to eat and vegan supermarket finds uk. Vegan dad and post punk kitchen are probably my two favourite recipe sites. Happy cow for places to eat out.

And for the record I eat more doughnuts than smoothies. Yesterday I ate:
Oats with soy milk and berries
Toast and soy meatloaf with onion gravy
Chickpea and aubergine curry with rice
Chocolate ans fruit
Lentil burgers, frozen mixed veg and potatoes

And I just did my weekly shop for £18 though can probably add a few pound in stuff I already have or will run out of during the week.
Only if it has been fortified with vitamin b12 is soy milk an okay source for b12 as naturally it has very little to no b12. So make sure you check it has it added.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ahhh thank you! and i will definitely look up those people u mentioned!
also, im going to do a food shop, any suggestions on what i should buy??
I think it'll make life easier if you plan meals and shopping based on ingredients. You're probably not going to be very good at looking in the cupboard and putting a meal together at first. The recipes sites I mentioned are a good place to start.

Otherwise, you'll get pure butter in most supermarkets (not Aldi and Lidl). Linda McCartney sausages for something in the freezer or aldi's frozen veggie stuff is labelled when vegan, or Fry's from Holland & Barret/health food shops or Ocado but it's more expensive. Bourbons, gingernuts, hob nobs, lotus and jammy dodgers for biscuits (give the packet a quick read though). Superdrug, coop, sainsbury, body shop and lush for toiletries. Coop for cleaning stuff. Everyone is raving about violife cheese, Holland & Barret and decent sized Asda and Tesco. Swedish Glaze or tesco now do their own ice cream cones. Jus Roll pan au chocolate. Have a general nosey in the freefrom section, maybe try the alpro puddings- gingerbread is best.

Dunno what else to tell you. Sainsburys and Coop and Aldi are best for labelling things as vegan but they won't label if 'may contain traces' even though most vegans would eat it

Only if it has been fortified with vitamin b12 is soy milk an okay source for b12 as naturally it has very little to no b12. So make sure you check it has it added.
Fortified is what I meant but the word wasn't coming to me, the very vast majority are. I think it's only organic ones I've seen that aren't.
mghp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
check out deliciously ella's blog! she makes being vegan so delicious
JaneDitchfield
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am! Well, It's been two months really. I'm kind of making the same thing everyday now, lentil soup is the easiest thing for me :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (187)
43.39%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.37%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.66%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
21.11%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.67%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.8%

Watched Threads