any vegans here??

Watch
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
Is the boyfriend durian rider or something like that?

The are both *****. They are in it for the money and know saying extreme and controversial things is the way to stand out. It was obviously in his recent response to their court case- I can go look for it if anyone's interested. Underneath it maybe they do believe some of it, in which case they are stupid *****.

If you want nutrition advise then Jack Norris. I've yet to find anyone else worth listening to

Yeah that's the guy. Horrible couple.

Also durian fruit smells like farts :puke:
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
Yeah that's the guy. Horrible couple.

Also durian fruit smells like farts :puke:
I think durians smell ok, still never brought myself to try it, but being repulsive to most folk is still quite fitting for him.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
I think durians smell ok, still never brought myself to try it, but being repulsive to most folk is still quite fitting for him.
Hahah you're not wrong
Octopus_Garden
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have never seen any ethical or rational basis for raw veganism. And I am a vegan, and have been for over twenty years!

The raw foodists on vegan forums and such generally strike me as having irrational obsessions about food. If they master a raw vegan diet, or too many other people around them adopt a raw vegan diet, thus 'normalising' it, they'll become convinced that a raw food diet contains toxins or contains too many harmful things, and move to a health kick that's more extreme and more difficult to follow.
Octopus_Garden
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh, and now I've properly looked at the responses before mine, I now learn that there's even a word for the behaviour I've noticed: orthorexia!
e aí rapaz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I pretty much fulfil my B12 needs on a vegetarian diet with one food alone:

Marmite on toast :yum:
:drool:
lightergait
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there! I'm vegan (in case this thread is still going)

Side note: I've been watching Freelee for what feels like forever. Most of the stuff people have commented about her here is actually false, so it'd be nice to bring to light some of that. She does not recommend 3000+ calories a day, neither does she eat 42 bananas a day. She's actually converted thousands of people to veganism and helped teenage girls recover from eating disorders all over the world. I'm sure her true message gets lost to some people who then use it to fuel addictions and illnesses but for the majority her approach to activism is hugely successful and the media just like to pick out "extreme" but untrue part of her diet that make good news!
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
She advocates raw til 4, 90/5/5 marco nutrition. Min 2100 calories for women, 3000 for men, unlimited calories at every meal, it's ok to get fatter at first because your metabolism will change itself to cope. That's all taken from her website so no question it's what she promotes. Regardless of the specifics she obviously promotes nonsense.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lightergait)

Side note: I've been watching Freelee for what feels like forever. Most of the stuff people have commented about her here is actually false, so it'd be nice to bring to light some of that. She does not recommend 3000+ calories a day, neither does she eat 42 bananas a day. She's actually converted thousands of people to veganism and helped teenage girls recover from eating disorders all over the world. I'm sure her true message gets lost to some people who then use it to fuel addictions and illnesses but for the majority her approach to activism is hugely successful and the media just like to pick out "extreme" but untrue part of her diet that make good news!
She is an extremely dangerous advocate of fruitarianism. Her nutrition is stupid and is down right codswallop. She advocates date smoothies for diabetes suffers etc. She also berates meat eaters who happen to have/ had cancer (Furious Pete)

(Original post by BKS)
She advocates raw til 4, 90/5/5 marco nutrition. Min 2100 calories for women, 3000 for men, unlimited calories at every meal, it's ok to get fatter at first because your metabolism will change itself to cope. That's all taken from her website so no question it's what she promotes. Regardless of the specifics she obviously promotes nonsense.
This
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Just no.

She is dangerous and the majority of the people following her aren't even close to educated on how nutrition, calories or metabolism even work.

That's why so many spout the nonsense "you're metabolism will adjust" when talking about eating a higher calorie diet or high carb diet. Anyone who says that clearly has no biology knowledge past high school because that is NOT how it works.
lightergait
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just no.

She is dangerous and the majority of the people following her aren't even close to educated on how nutrition, calories or metabolism even work.

That's why so many spout the nonsense "you're metabolism will adjust" when talking about eating a higher calorie diet or high carb diet. Anyone who says that clearly has no biology knowledge past high school because that is NOT how it works.
I never actually said her nutrition is on point, or that she is a health professional. I was merely pointing out that, no, she does not encourage 3000+ calories a day and eat 42 bananas a day as well I personally don't follow her health advice but, whilst she may be "dangerous" to vulnerable people, she HAS as FACT helped thousands of people - I know some of these people myself. It would be great if she could hold back on the nutrition advice but, in general, raw til 4 slash 801010 was my life saver and I have spoken to others who feel the same. I don't think it's okay to act like she's a horrible person when she does some good, like the famous Gary - some methods are extreme but work.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I never actually said her nutrition is on point, or that she is a health professional. I was merely pointing out that, no, she does not encourage 3000+ calories a day and eat 42 bananas a day as well I personally don't follow her health advice but, whilst she may be "dangerous" to vulnerable people, she HAS as FACT helped thousands of people - I know some of these people myself. It would be great if she could hold back on the nutrition advice but, in general, raw til 4 slash 801010 was my life saver and I have spoken to others who feel the same. I don't think it's okay to act like she's a horrible person when she does some good, like the famous Gary - some methods are extreme but work.

She has in some videos.

She's not just dangerous to vulnerable people or people with histories with eating disorders. She is dangerous to anyone who takes her word for it or doesn't know any better because they're not educated enough to understand the nonsense she spouts.

I act like she is a horrible person because she and her boyfriend have on many occasions been caught red handed being abusive to people who don't agree with their methods or don't get the same results as them.

She doesn't do good work though, that's the point. The basis of Raw til 4 may be sound, but she promotes a much more extreme diet, twists things to fit her diet and offers advice that is dangerous. I have absolutely no problem with people promoting a raw diet or a vegan diet so long as it's made clear the necessity of making sure you eat all the necessary macro, micros etc. Freelee however does the opposite of that, and she only gives anecdotal evidence and has no scientific basis in most of her claims.
lightergait
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
She has in some videos.

She's not just dangerous to vulnerable people or people with histories with eating disorders. She is dangerous to anyone who takes her word for it or doesn't know any better because they're not educated enough to understand the nonsense she spouts.

I act like she is a horrible person because she and her boyfriend have on many occasions been caught red handed being abusive to people who don't agree with their methods or don't get the same results as them.

She doesn't do good work though, that's the point. The basis of Raw til 4 may be sound, but she promotes a much more extreme diet, twists things to fit her diet and offers advice that is dangerous. I have absolutely no problem with people promoting a raw diet or a vegan diet so long as it's made clear the necessity of making sure you eat all the necessary macro, micros etc. Freelee however does the opposite of that, and she only gives anecdotal evidence and has no scientific basis in most of her claims.
What a lot of people see as abuse, other vegans have seen as simply giving their opinion - there will always be a line that people draw in the sand at different points. The way I see it, if you are brought up in a society that teaches you to be open minded yet critical, then the people watching Freelee should have absolutely no problem. Those vulnerable people have society to blame for that vulnerability, not Freelee and her boyfriend. There are plenty of people out there telling you to shove meat and dairy down your throat because it's "really healthy and nutritious" and "you can't be healthy without it" and they actually have nutrition degrees and are health professional, even when research is stacked against them. I would personally like to make sure those people are critiqued first, the people who have actually made members of my family ill from their meat/dairy recommendations, not someone who has converted thousands of people to veganism and is blamed for society's mistakes
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What a lot of people see as abuse, other vegans have seen as simply giving their opinion - there will always be a line that people draw in the sand at different points. The way I see it, if you are brought up in a society that teaches you to be open minded yet critical, then the people watching Freelee should have absolutely no problem. Those vulnerable people have society to blame for that vulnerability, not Freelee and her boyfriend. There are plenty of people out there telling you to shove meat and dairy down your throat because it's "really healthy and nutritious" and "you can't be healthy without it" and they actually have nutrition degrees and are health professional, even when research is stacked against them. I would personally like to make sure those people are critiqued first, the people who have actually made members of my family ill from their meat/dairy recommendations, not someone who has converted thousands of people to veganism and is blamed for society's mistakes
Just no, calling people fat *****s is not giving an opinion. They have been caught red handed many times spouting that kind of abusive language and private messaged to people asking them for HELP and not knowing why their diet is making them gain weight.

Nope they have both themselves and Freelee and her boyfriend to blame. People should make sure to seek out evidence for themselves, but then again people shouldn't be spread misinformation and flat out lies either.

Nutritionist isn't actually a legal term, dietician is. There are a lot of swayed opinions on what is and isn't healthy. Generally the consensus is moderation is key. However there is a wealth of scientific literature that makes it very clear what Freelee is doing is unhealthy. Whether you choose to believe it or not having a diet consisting of mainly fruit is unhealthy and is likely to cause many health problems including diabetes, which is ironic as Freelee claims her diet "cures" diabetes. Her words not mine.

Funny how you're saying it's okay to critique meat eaters and blame them...but it's not okay to critique Freelee....Consistency much?
lightergait
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just no, calling people fat *****s is not giving an opinion. They have been caught red handed many times spouting that kind of abusive language and private messaged to people asking them for HELP and not knowing why their diet is making them gain weight.

Nope they have both themselves and Freelee and her boyfriend to blame. People should make sure to seek out evidence for themselves, but then again people shouldn't be spread misinformation and flat out lies either.

Nutritionist isn't actually a legal term, dietician is. There are a lot of swayed opinions on what is and isn't healthy. Generally the consensus is moderation is key. However there is a wealth of scientific literature that makes it very clear what Freelee is doing is unhealthy. Whether you choose to believe it or not having a diet consisting of mainly fruit is unhealthy and is likely to cause many health problems including diabetes, which is ironic as Freelee claims her diet "cures" diabetes. Her words not mine.

Funny how you're saying it's okay to critique meat eaters and blame them...but it's not okay to critique Freelee....Consistency much?
Freelee's main message has always been that you AREN'T fat, you HAVE fat - she doesn't shame people like that from what I've seen. It's clear you're not wanting to keep an open mind so I'll spare the argument and try to make this my last reply! I'm not critiquing meateaters, I'm supporting Freelee in promoting veganism and understand that social movements come with consequences. I will not say she's a bad person just because she's not the activist I'd prefer or isn't correct all the time - neither of us know her personally. We guess what her intentions are. People are complex and also make mistakes. Any vegan would have a hard time on YouTube as a lot of artificial information can be spread about you. Before going vegan I was an A* ***** to every vegan out there, including my vegetarian boyfriend as the time, but people change. Freelee's on the same journey as everyone. The way we act and things we say can seem completely irrational and embarrassing to us years down the line (like those really stupid haircuts we get that we think look mighty cool when we're 16).

801010 has been recommended by some internationally known doctors and have research backing them. I actually know people who've cured diabetes this way. It's important not to jump down the throats of people assuming you know what's best when neither of us are experts I personally believe in regional eating and a diet rich in fruit may be nourishing for those living in the tropical countries despite me, coming from England, having an ancestory diet consisting mostly of potatoes and vegetables - as I said, we're not experts. I understand where you're coming from but you seem misinformed about Freelee. Whilst I would never internalise her diet for myself, her body loves it and it's human nature to recommend your own successes, especially when it comes to what we eat! I was 801010 for a good while and felt the best I ever have in my life - you could check out FullyRawKristina, a YouTuber who simply glows from her diet of mainly fruit, and also has perfect blood test scores which she put up a video about for everyone to see. I'm not fond of her anyway but it shows that this diet DOES work for some people - I'm sure if a "diet" worked for you and a friend asked you for advice, you'd recommend it, even though you're not an expert in the subject.

Freelee has a massive following and it's only the minority that feel consequences from her message so, whilst I don't agree with some of her methods, the contribution she had made to this vegan social movement is invaluable. I will never shame her for that specifically, and do not get aggressive at her mistakes but merely understand we're not all perfect. You critique her because she's not an expert, but neither are you. You thinking what's healthy likely comes from what you've been told by superiors. All of us have that. If you don't want her judging you/others because she's not an expert, be consistent like you pointed out to me and don't act like you are a well-respected doctor who has studied diabetes etc. and this diet down to a T and who truly knows her intentions from a couple YouTube videos and rumours, and I won't pretend to think Freelee is perfect

I enjoyed the opposition though - keeps me critical and wary I'm an idealist at heart and assume all vegans are nice out of principle, but I'm aware that's not always the case. We don't have to love Freelee's methods to accept her message - there is no necessity for animal *including humans) exploitation.
lightergait
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
Actually, it's 801010. She did not invent this diet. It's been used by some really amazing doctors who have had great success with diseased and ill people.

Under 2100 calories is regarded as a famine for the World Health Organisation, so her calorie intake recommendation is on point for that.

Yes, your metabolism does change. I came to veganism with an underactive thyroid and it was cured by 801010. I actually do eat near to 3000 calories a day of whole foods (vegan) and weight drops off and my body tones faster than ever before. Research has proven that a damaged metabolism can be cured by whole foods, irrelevant to veganism. When she says "eat as much as you care for" that doesn't mean "be a typical fatty and eat way too much", it means "eat until you have satisfied your hunger and feel nourished" but that message can get lost.

The only time she recommends eating more than you feel satisfied with is when an eating disorder has left your body adapted to constricted food intake (or "famine" as the WHO would state), where stopping when you satiate the hunger can still leave you eating too little. I don't think that sounds like nonsense whatsoever.

She doesn't phrase herself the best and comes across as confrontational, but you have to read between the lines and get to true core of her message. It takes months of following her videos to get to understand how she speaks and when she says the right thing in the wrong way, just like you knowing what your friend really means when they say "I'm okay"
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm skeptical that much of her advise is ideal but when considers the average Brit/American is overweight or obese, it's easy to see how for a couple of months her advise of light exercise and that diet would be beneficial.
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Actually, it's 801010. She did not invent this diet. It's been used by some really amazing doctors who have had great success with diseased and ill people.

Under 2100 calories is regarded as a famine for the World Health Organisation, so her calorie intake recommendation is on point for that.

Yes, your metabolism does change. I came to veganism with an underactive thyroid and it was cured by 801010. I actually do eat near to 3000 calories a day of whole foods (vegan) and weight drops off and my body tones faster than ever before. Research has proven that a damaged metabolism can be cured by whole foods, irrelevant to veganism. When she says "eat as much as you care for" that doesn't mean "be a typical fatty and eat way too much", it means "eat until you have satisfied your hunger and feel nourished" but that message can get lost.

The only time she recommends eating more than you feel satisfied with is when an eating disorder has left your body adapted to constricted food intake (or "famine" as the WHO would state), where stopping when you satiate the hunger can still leave you eating too little. I don't think that sounds like nonsense whatsoever.

She doesn't phrase herself the best and comes across as confrontational, but you have to read between the lines and get to true core of her message. It takes months of following her videos to get to understand how she speaks and when she says the right thing in the wrong way, just like you knowing what your friend really means when they say "I'm okay"
Her FAQ says aiming for 90/5/5, go check if you like, she specifically says it's not 80/10/10

It depends how much you eat and what activities you do etc, saying one mcaro break down would work for everyone will always be wrong.

Her discussion of calories almost always lacks enough information to be useful.You need to talk about activity levels, the size of a person etc. She'd be much more helpful if she was just informing people how calories, weight and all that works so they can work out what is right for them but that's not got much sell. Also, poster is very right, her market involves lots of fat people, telling them to eat loads and it's ok to get fatter is probably not helpful.

She is confrontational, she does it for attention and if you need to read between the lines then she's by definition not providing for good information
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
Her FAQ says aiming for 90/5/5, go check if you like, she specifically says it's not 80/10/10

It depends how much you eat and what activities you do etc, saying one mcaro break down would work for everyone will always be wrong.

Her discussion of calories almost always lacks enough information to be useful.You need to talk about activity levels, the size of a person etc. She'd be much more helpful if she was just informing people how calories, weight and all that works so they can work out what is right for them but that's not got much sell. Also, poster is very right, her market involves lots of fat people, telling them to eat loads and it's ok to get fatter is probably not helpful.

She is confrontational, she does it for attention and if you need to read between the lines then she's by definition not providing for good information
I was going to respond back to her again, but it's clear she doesn't understand the science behind any of what she is saying.

She also ignored many of my points and that I clearly said veganism okay but what Freelee does is not.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
x
A brief rebuttal

- Freelees main message is BE VEGAN OR YOU DESERVE CANCER AND DIE YOUNG AND I CAN CURE EVERYTHING WITH BANANAS AND DATES YAY
- She claims to be an expert - hence her book and personal training and hence is open to all the criticism she deserves - i.e. she goes against all scientific reasoning
- 10% protein in a diet is stupid and goes against science
- You're WHO stuff has been pulled from somewhere very dark as the NHS RDA for calories in women is 2000. That is less than your definition of famine :facepalm:
- Metabolisms don't magically alter with diet change
- You can't regionally eat food. Your example of potatoes is hilarious as they're South American in origin
- Raw till 4 has never been shown as a cure for diabetes. That's just laughable and ignores the science behind it.
- No true doctor advocates raw til 4 and 3000 calories of carbs for anyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads