VA106 - Amendment to include a Bill Summary Paragraph

Watch
Poll: Should this amendment be made?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (34)
91.89%
On the contrary, No (2)
5.41%
Abstain (1)
2.7%
This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
VA106 - Amendment to include a Bill Summary Paragraph
Proposed by:
The Financier MP

Seconded by:
Rakas21
mobbsy91
Jammy Duel
tengentoppa
RayApparently
PetrosAC

Under Bill Formatting Section of the Guidance Document:

Append Subsection 2:

Notes:
All bills should provide an explanatory paragraph that outlines the aim of the legislation and a basic rationale for why it is necessary. Optionally, further points that could be used to justify the legislation can be entered here. To keep the bill tidy, the notes section should be wrapped with a spoiler tag as follows:

Spoiler:
Show
Summary Paragraph and additional notes goes here
Notes:
Spoiler:
Show

It is often the case that MPs simply state their position as a post with Aye or Nay without detailing their reasoning. Whilst this is understandable if MPs are pressed for time, such an action does not help ignite debate of the legislation. It is hoped that by mandating a summary paragraph, the proposers of the bill can detail the aims of the legislation to spark discussion of it. A secondary effect is that it may help new MPs and the speaker keep on top of what each bill does, helping to identify whether bill ideas have already passed in the MHoC.

StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay, should be left up to proposer. No need for legislation. If they don't do it people are more likely to vote against it / abstain due to lack of understanding. So, they lose out because they're lazy.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ayes to the right: 34
Noes to the left: 2
Abstain: 1

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 74%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (577)
34.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (689)
41.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
19.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.48%

Watched Threads