The Student Room Group

GCSE History Help!

Hi,
I am in Year 11 and my fists history exam is on 1st of June. However, I know very little about any topics-I got an F on my first mock and an E on my 2nd. This was down to having a really bad teacher who just read out the book and I lost interest and motivation for the subject. Now, I don't want to fail history but I would be over the moon with a C. Could someone please tell me how I could manage to learn the information for a C and how to structure my revision.
This would be amazing if someone could help me,
Zac:smile::colondollar::biggrin:
Hi,
I do not know what exam board or topics you are doing, but the courses seem to be quite similar for history.

For history, the most important part is normally having enough SPECIFIC evidence to back up your points. I normally use my notes or the textbook, because revision guides tend to be quite vague. I normally think about what a question might be, and use evidence in the textbook to make massive mind maps including figures and statistics. Also,f you are trying to remember the order of events, for example, I like to stick pieces of paper around my room in a logical order, with some key points on them, so everytime I walk in my room I see the pieces of paper, so in the exam I can sort of visualize my room. That may sound strange but it works. You should try to find creative ways to revise, otherwise the information will not stay in your brain properly. You could try making games or quizzes for yourself, or making a poster on a particular subject. I also find revising in groups is really useful for history as you can test each other and other people often have some useful evidence that you might have missed,

Also, for history, it is VERY important structure your writing properly to get the marks(and you are also less likely to go off on a tangent with a Point Evidence Explain structure.) I would advise doing as many past papers as possible as get to practise your structure, test your knowledge and practise writing within the time limit. Remember that the time limit in history is short so you should only put down the relevant information and you cannot repeat yourself. It is really useful to go over the exam papers that you have done for your mocks(if your school lets you keep them) as you can rewrite those questions as and assess yourself so you

Good luck! You have still got over a month until your history exam, which means you can do really well. I hope this helps. :smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending