The Student Room Group

I want to drop out of sixth form

Like seriously,
I can't handle the exam stress, I'm crying three times a day and forever having anxiety attacks, I don't know what to do.
I don't feel like I'm not ready for the exams in two weeks!!!
I want to drop out and take a year out to teach myself my subjects, and then enter privately

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lifeimitatesart
Like seriously,
I can't handle the exam stress, I'm crying three times a day and forever having anxiety attacks, I don't know what to do.
I want to drop out and take a year out to teach myself my subjects, and then enter privately

If your going through hell keep going
Reply 2
How many exams do you have?
Original post by Magnus Taylor
If your going through hell keep going

I just want a way out, I hate living everyday with a sense of dread
Original post by Async
How many exams do you have?

Well I had 9, but then I dropped history because of overwhelming pressure so 7
As level or a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Well I had 9, but then I dropped history because of overwhelming pressure so 7

I have 11. Just keep your head up and get through it. Just try your best, you never know the outcome. No point dropping out now, what do you have to gain if you drop out now compared to waiting for your exam results before making your decision? You're actually worse of dropping out now. I say sit your exams, get your results then decide what to do after.
Original post by themuffin96
As level or a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AS level
Original post by Async
I have 11. Just keep your head up and get through it. Just try your best, you never know the outcome. No point dropping out now, what do you have to gain if you drop out now compared to waiting for your exam results before making your decision? You're actually worse of dropping out now. I say sit your exams, get your results then decide what to do after.

Yeah I suppose, it's just so hard to concentrate while panicking
Like seriously,

I'm a sixth form student and I'm also quite stressed, but it sounds like you're having a pretty bad exam panic. I don't know what subjects you're doing or what your predicted grades are like, but maybe you could have a go at some practice papers if you haven't done so already. It's actually a huge comfort knowing what kinds of things to expect on the paper. And make sure you find a stress relieving activity - go for a walk, watch TV, maybe go out for the day and do something fun. Something that takes your mind off exams for a while. :smile:

I don't particularly advise dropping out so close to your exams as you'll probably have to pay a huge amount of money for the exam withdrawals. If you've got this far I'm sure you can do it!

I'd personally keep battling on, you may regret it if you stop now. If you don't get the results you were hoping for, there are always resits.

Obviously it's your choice to make though. :smile:
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I'm a sixth form student and I'm also quite stressed, but it sounds like you're having a pretty bad exam panic. I don't know what subjects you're doing or what your predicted grades are like, but maybe you could have a go at some practice papers if you haven't done so already. It's actually a huge comfort knowing what kinds of things to expect on the paper. And make sure you find a stress relieving activity - go for a walk, watch TV, maybe go out for the day and do something fun. Something that takes your mind off exams for a while. :smile:

I don't particularly advise dropping out so close to your exams as you'll probably have to pay a huge amount of money for the exam withdrawals. If you've got this far I'm sure you can do it!

I'd personally keep battling on, you may regret it if you stop now. If you don't get the results you were hoping for, there are always resits.

Obviously it's your choice to make though. :smile:

I am. I've never experienced panic like this before, it's so frightening. I do loads of past papers but I guess I'm kind of a perfectionist. It's the feeling of disappointment that I'm dreading on results day :/ I miss the days when life was stress free:frown:
If you go to the doctors about it they might be able to give you something to help calm you down. My friend has a spray from her doctor that does this.
I'm also doing As levels this year and it's terrifying how close they are bc I don't think I know anything. But we can do this. Even if we don't do v well in the exams there's the option to drop out after them or do resits next year. But anyway, you might do loads better than you expect!! Good luck💖

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Starkidemmax
If you go to the doctors about it they might be able to give you something to help calm you down. My friend has a spray from her doctor that does this.
I'm also doing As levels this year and it's terrifying how close they are bc I don't think I know anything. But we can do this. Even if we don't do v well in the exams there's the option to drop out after them or do resits next year. But anyway, you might do loads better than you expect!! Good luck������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've actually already been to the doctors about this a while ago. They said it was normal but I don't think its normal to this extent. And yh same, I feel like I don't know anything and start panicking when I can't answer a question on a past paper. Good luck to you too
My advice would be to battle on and get through this years exams and see what grades you get if you try your hardest- and remember that's all you can do, is try!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by themuffin96
My advice would be to battle on and get through this years exams and see what grades you get if you try your hardest- and remember that's all you can do, is try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I guess. :redface:
I just want the horrible feeling of dread to go away
Just gotta try and be calm about it- I know it sounds hard but organisation is important and remember there are many people in the same sorta situation :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just remember that things can only improve once you finish your exams.

You pass your A-Levels: All's good. Go to university.
You fail your A-Levels: Take a degree from the Open Uni. All's good. (alternatively: go through clearing).

Aside from getting into university, and maybe a few small jobs while you are at uni, A-Levels really don't mean anything. It is important that you learn from them and get the skills you need for your degree, but don't fret too much over the exams :smile:
Original post by Keyhofi
Just remember that things can only improve once you finish your exams.

You pass your A-Levels: All's good. Go to university.
You fail your A-Levels: Take a degree from the Open Uni. All's good. (alternatively: go through clearing).

Aside from getting into university, and maybe a few small jobs while you are at uni, A-Levels really don't mean anything. It is important that you learn from them and get the skills you need for your degree, but don't fret too much over the exams :smile:

I feel like if I don't do good in my a levels I've literally failed life. I'm so scared of failure, I'd rather just not do them
Like seriously,

Don't do it! Uni is awesome!!! :smile:
well, you could drop out... but there's only a couple of weeks to go until they start... you might as well do them, and hopefully the results will surprise you in a good way. If not, it's great experience for next year when you re-do them! :biggrin:

Either way, do them and get to uni... best life experience ever:wink::smile:
I feel like if I don't do good in my a levels I've literally failed life. I'm so scared of failure, I'd rather just not do them

Awh... How well did you do at GCSEs? You'll likely find your A-Level grades to be similar. That is generally what happens.

Make sure you are taking breaks from studying. Short ones during the day (I recommend 30 mins break for every hour of study), but also take a day off every week where you go out with friends or read a book or watch a movie or play games. Whatever you are into. It does wonders to calm you down.

Of course, if you find you can't keep your mind off revision, do an reverse-revision day. As in follow your normal day revision schedule but take breaks when you would normally revise, and revise where you would normally take breaks. This will both calm you and satisfy those feelings of always needing to study.

If you do fail and go to the Open Uni then you're going to one of the most presitigous universities out there. They aim to help students from all walks of life, and as their name suggests, they are open to anyone, regardless or their past or their grades.

Apart from the connections you make at the Open Uni and the job opportunities it gives you, it looks great on your CV. It shows that even when life treats you harshly you can pull through and continue with your studies, against all odds, to get a degree.

I have visited the Open Uni (it was top on my list when I was looking for postdocs) and they are amazing and really caring people. The Uni has a very strong reputation that is growing all the time. I know some people who have even studied there at undergrad level. It is as good as any other uni and there is no stigma attached to it - if anything it is a positive experience because it shows strong independent learning skills and a desire to improve yourself. Many successful A-Level students even pick it as their first choice.

No matter whether you pass or fail, there are plenty of oppotunities out there. Once you have a degree, your A-Levels won't matter and you can omit them from your CV (I do).

Let me know if you need any help or advice.

Quick Reply

Latest