The Student Room Group

RE Are you born with your sexuality or can it be influenced by external factors?

Original post by ra3096
Definitely not more than nature:smile: We live in a world where people can still be punished by death for being gay, but it's not something that can be helped even if the person wanted it! Many would choose not to be, given the choice, purely for the lack of unacceptance.

everyone has desires/thoughts about the opposite gender at some point in their lives. It's just a matter of suppressing these desires. Being gay is completely unnatural and I find it disgusting that people promote homosexuality in this day and age.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
everyone has desires/thoughts about the opposite gender at some point in their lives. It's just a matter of suppressing these desires. Being gay is completely unnatural and I find it disgusting that people promote homosexuality in this day and age.

I agree with the first bit, but everyone also has had thoughts about the same gender, not desires as such though. I think it's disgusting how you think it should be supressed, but opinions eh:smile: it's not a matter of promoting homsexuality, it's promoting the ability to be sexually free.
I'd say that everyone has a certain sexuality with which they can identify with and is determined even before they are born. Saying this, I believe that sexuality is fluid i.e even if someone identifies as gay they still have the capability of being attracted to/having a relationship with someone of the opposite sex.
As a lesbian I firmly vouch that this is true since although I am usually only ever interested in girls, I have seen men who I've felt ever so slightly attracted to.
It is definitely NOT determined by external factors. Being exposed to so-called hetero "propaganda" all my life has certainly not made me straight. The only way you could see external factors as influences is the fact that due to increased representation and acceptance of lgbt people, closeted individuals feel more inclined to come out.

Sorry, are you gay? Clearly not. It's not a question of "suppressing these desires" as you claim.

How is homosexuality promoted? I don't go round people saying "Oh become gay, it's awesome!", and I'm sure most, if not all, gay people don't.

Precisely in this day and age homosexuality should be accepted.
Does everyone who replies here get reported? :curious:
Homosexuality can't be promoted, you can't turn straight guys gay or vice versa.
It can only be influenced by external factors in terms of activity not in terms of feelings.
I'm a bisexual man so I'm in the rare position of having some form of choice, (obviously I didn't choose to be bi, I'd rather be gay or straight, but I could be just as happy regardless of which gender I 'chose') in a homophobic society I could have a happy relationship with a woman. But it'd be an 6/10 life because I'd always have the fantasies and feel extremely guilty and ashamed of them. Because it's accepted I'm no longer ashamed of what turns me on, even if I end up living a 'straight' life in terms of behaviour I'll always be bisexual. I can't choose what you're attracted to, or who you fall in love with.

Idk I've never really had desires in THAT way for a girl but idk.
You can't say its unnatural that's just a sweeping statement with no evidence. No one promotes it, the only thing anyone wants is equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply