jv893
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently starting an EPQ and I need to submit my title soon but I'm not sure what exactly my EPQ should focus on. I'm thinking of doing a human geography related project that would look at something to do with population and resources. I was thinking of looking at Thomas Malthus, maybe about whether his theories on food shortage apply/don't apply today. However, I'm not sure that's enough to write 5000 words on so if anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
zahrac98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, i am also looking at ideas to do an EPQ on geography too. However i am struggling to think of any that we don't cover in the spec. Do you have any ideas?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zahrac98)
Hi, i am also looking at ideas to do an EPQ on geography too. However i am struggling to think of any that we don't cover in the spec. Do you have any ideas?
Hi zahrac,

Which exam board are you doing geography with?

If you're struggling with finding a suitable geography topic to do your EPQ on, I would suggest having a look at topics within related subjects like geology, which has plenty of interesting topics which don't overlap too much with geography. For example, I did my EPQ on theories on why the dinosaurs became extinct.

Are there any geography topics you are interested in outside what you cover in your specification? Also, try asking your EPQ mentor (if you have one yet) for some topic ideas, I'm sure they will be happy to help you, that's what they're there for after all!
zahrac98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hi zahrac,

Which exam board are you doing geography with?

If you're struggling with finding a suitable geography topic to do your EPQ on, I would suggest having a look at topics within related subjects like geology, which has plenty of interesting topics which don't overlap too much with geography. For example, I did my EPQ on theories on why the dinosaurs became extinct.

Are there any geography topics you are interested in outside what you cover in your specification? Also, try asking your EPQ mentor (if you have one yet) for some topic ideas, I'm sure they will be happy to help you, that's what they're there for after all!
Hi, I am with Edexcel for geography. Thank you. I think I favour human geography over physical geography. I was thinking of doing 'How migration affect physical and mental health' therefore it links to both geography and psychology although I am not sure if it is too limited.
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zahrac98)
Hi, I am with Edexcel for geography. Thank you. I think I favour human geography over physical geography. I was thinking of doing 'How migration affect physical and mental health' therefore it links to both geography and psychology although I am not sure if it is too limited.
That sounds like a good title to start with, as you go along your EPQ mentor will help you to refine it so that you end up with a title that you are happy with and is acceptable for the EPQ (the EPQ mark scheme is particularly fussy about titles unfortunately!).

I'd suggest to just think of a list of possible titles and then show them to your EPQ mentor/whoever is in charge of EPQ and see what they think is most suitable
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
researching malthus is a good area to go into. i remember when i studied him in yr13 we only went into brief detail so i think there will be a lot more you can find out there.

another good area for human geography though would be something to do with development and inequalities- the scope for this area is massive, a lot of interesting debates to look into and a lot of different opinions. e.g. how to determine a developed country, can a country become fully developed and why are some countries able to reduce some types of inequality but not others

just some ideas there
Kieranb1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone A2 student here I did my Epq on a geography area. I wrote about how climate change affects the different biomes and ecosystems around the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads