Pay as you go Data?

Watch
StretfordEnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I haven't had a fancy phone in years, and with an old nokia I've just needed a PAYG simcard since it can only handle texts and calls. Decided it was time for a change and bought an iphone 5 off a mate for a song...now I'm wondering whether to get a sim only contract or stick with PAYG.

In terms of data I'll be using the phone for:
1. Facebook/Whatsapp
2. Twitter/news apps
3. Generic internet browsing.
4. Citymapper/Uber

Won't be downloading anything and if I do it'll be at home. I have wifi at home and at uni, I live in Central London so most bars/cafes/whatever have wifi.

Given how clueless I am with what data actually translates as in terms of real time usage, would somebody be able to give arough estimate of what kind of data I'd be using per month?

(sorry if this is an impossible request. The last time smartphone i had was an iphone 2g so I'm a complete noob)
Europhile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://giffgaff.com/

StretfordEnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Much appreciated but I'm so clueless that I wouldn't know the difference between 1gb or 3gb of internet use.

I know how much storage a 720p film or a FLAC album takes up, but sending a whatsapp message, loading facebook or having a browse of twitter? Clueless.

How much data use per month is normal? It's a minefield! :P
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't really need much more than 1gb of data if you are just browsing the internet or using most apps. It is streaming that uses the most data.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads