The Student Room Group

Angela Merkel says UK needs to take more fleeing migrants.

Scroll to see replies

:lol: the pear-shaped eurocrat thinks she has power over other nations she isn't elected to lead. that's a good one.
Original post by Oakflame
In my opinion she made a very good point. Right now, according to EU law, the migrant have to seek asylum in the country they first arrive in, which often are the mediterranean countries. Of course a lot of resources are/will have to be put into integration, and that requires money. As most know, many of the mediterranean countries aren't in the best economical situation. The current EU law puts a strain on the border countries, which isn't good for anyone - not the countries nor the people. To make it more "fair" and provide the best protection and integration for those in need, without sacrificing the welfare of any EU country, we need to distribute people more evenly. If they come to EU for their safety, they do not in my opinion have a right to chose exactly where to live, as long as they are safe and well taken care off.

The EU should take steps to improve policing of its borders on the Med and increase its assistance in stabilising the countries these people are coming from.

I struggle to see why they decide to take the perilous trip across the Med when they can settle in countries nearby. Algeria is pretty safe, and so are Morocco, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Turkey, etc. The fact that they do not go to these countries, but risk their lives crossing the sea, suggests they are risking their lives for more reasons than purely refuge from danger.

Angela Merkel's proposal is not only fair and economically beneficial, but also shows humanity. Today's situation is unbearable and something has to be done. If it had been in the UK for example, we would not have accepted several hundreds of people dying because of a situation like this, something would have been done immediately. So why do we make a difference? They are just as much human as the rest of us are. In that way we are equal, but we are certainly not treated equally. Skin colour, origin, religion, sexuality, gender etc., etc, should not matter as long as it does not hurt anyone else. We accept all other differences, so why are these so hard to accept for some people? We are all equally human, and should be treated as such.

How is it 'economically beneficial' to take in thousands of (likely) unskilled migrants who all require housing, healthcare, etc?
Merkel and her influence within the EU is one of the main reasons that I'm against the EU: these immigrants should not reach UK borders unless we want them. The majority of them are unskilled and have little to no knowledge of English: do you really want thousands of them roaming the streets of Britain?
If our net migration for 2014 wasn't 300,000 then maybe yeah. But it was, so Merkel no get lost.
Original post by The two eds
So this is fair for the UK when almost every law passed has been voted against by British MEPs and the leaders of the EU were voted against by Britain. Something tells me Britain has had nothing they have voted for ever yet. When will we start getting something we voted for? It is for the best if we leave and let the rest of you enjoy it because Every law passed has been opposed by Britain. Clearly the two do not work together and when there is a referendum watch there be a majority YES for leaving

It might be so that you don't get what you want in this case, but there are benefits of being a part of the EU as well. Leaving the EU can have major effects on Britain. Yes, you will get more independence and don't have to implement laws you have voted against, but on the other hand you might face for example economical difficulties without the support of the EU.
It might be so that you don't get what you want in this case, but there are benefits of being a part of the EU as well. Leaving the EU can have major effects on Britain.

Such as?

but on the other hand you might face for example economical difficulties without the support of the EU.

We wouldn't be spending all that money to be part of the EU though.
Original post by Observatory
It doesn't seem that the EU is often willing to compromise with Britain. Merkel flatly refused to negotiate on essentially the same issue - in the other direction of course - just a year ago. I can't think of a single thing that other EU states do that they don't want to do but Britain does want to do. The furthest their indulgence extends is allowing us to not do some things that they would otherwise want to force us to do.

The EU-UK relationship is dysfunctional because we simply do not agree on many fundamental principles. What on the continent are matters of broad social consensus, in the UK are matters of narrow party factionalism - generally on the left. This situation fundamentally can't be fixed.

Situations change, and the political leaders have to adapt to the current situation. It might be so that Merkel opposed it last year, but her party has changed its mind regarding this question because the situation has become more critical.

Also, it is not the EU that has to compromise with Britain. It is Britain that has to ally itself with other EU countries, so they can form majority. To do that both sides have to compromise. Regarding the fundamental principles I do not have any arguments. I am Swedish, and I guess in this question, a part of "the continent". However, saying that cannot be fixed is exactly the attitude that makes it so hard for Britain to compromise with other countries. It is childish and narrow-minded to not see a way out that is acceptable for all involved parties.
Original post by Dalek1099
I'm very pleased with this decision by the EU they have shown me that maybe they aren't as corrupt as I thought they were and this may influence in voting for the EU in a referendum(my general opinion was that there we needed a reformed EU).This is exactly the policy I wanted implemented it would be madness to expect Italy or any country to cope on its own accepting fleeing,poverty stricken desperate migrants.

I certainly agree with you there! The EU is far from perfect, and many parts would benefit from a bit of remodeling.
Original post by Lady Comstock
The EU should take steps to improve policing of its borders on the Med and increase its assistance in stabilising the countries these people are coming from.

I struggle to see why they decide to take the perilous trip across the Med when they can settle in countries nearby. Algeria is pretty safe, and so are Morocco, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Turkey, etc. The fact that they do not go to these countries, but risk their lives crossing the sea, suggests they are risking their lives for more reasons than purely refuge from danger.

How is it 'economically beneficial' to take in thousands of (likely) unskilled migrants who all require housing, healthcare, etc?

The EU is a union between European countries, and has no power to stick its nose in other countries' business. The EU simply cannot tell another country to fix its problems so we aren't affected by it. Organisations such as the UN have much more power to do so.

Many migrant are in fact in danger of being followed, tortured and/or suppressed by either the government or other majority groups in their society. Europe not being as war-ridden as their own and countries close by, makes it look like they have a much better chance of getting a better, peaceful life. Risking their lived on boats across the Mediterranean is not exactly something anyone would do "just because". They obviously have something to escape from, and are often tricked into believing the trip and integration into the EU will be much easier than it actually is. They victims of war and crime, and should certainly not be ridiculed, labeled as imposters or treated as if they have ulterior motives. Some may have, but they are extremely few and unfortunately the ones we here the most about. Most of the migrants just wish for a better life, like everyone else. They are just as much human as we are.
It might be so that you don't get what you want in this case, but there are benefits of being a part of the EU as well. Leaving the EU can have major effects on Britain. Yes, you will get more independence and don't have to implement laws you have voted against, but on the other hand you might face for example economical difficulties without the support of the EU.

There is no evidence of that or garuntee so I will take the risk
Situations change, and the political leaders have to adapt to the current situation. It might be so that Merkel opposed it last year, but her party has changed its mind regarding this question because the situation has become more critical.

Merkel hasn't changed her mind at all. She is not proposing to allow Britain to impose restrictions on Eastern European immigration - which would push more Eastern Europeans into Germany - she is proposing to force Britain to accept more African refugees who would otherwise have ended up in Germany. She has consistently advanced selfish German interests in each case and not offered Britain anything.

Also, it is not the EU that has to compromise with Britain. It is Britain that has to ally itself with other EU countries, so they can form majority. To do that both sides have to compromise.

Britain can't win a majority on any issue where it disagrees with the consensus. There is therefore little advantage to Britain being a member of the EU. It wins us no influence over the others while forcing us to accept their strong influence over our own policy.

Regarding the fundamental principles I do not have any arguments. I am Swedish, and I guess in this question, a part of "the continent". However, saying that cannot be fixed is exactly the attitude that makes it so hard for Britain to compromise with other countries. It is childish and narrow-minded to not see a way out that is acceptable for all involved parties.

Sweden is closer to the continent than Britain, but don't think you are fully on their side either. Sweden is not a member of the Euro and is actively resisting Euro membership. The most recent polling data shows that Sweden opposes Euro membership by 73% to 23%. If the EU required that Sweden either joined the Euro, or left the EU entirely, which way would you vote? If you would strongly support EU membership regardless, do you think that the Norwegians or Icelandics are worse off than you? If so, why?
except that UK is not 'large'
She may have a reasonable point in terms of how the EU should be structured with respect to asylum seekers, but as with all things EU related my point and my issue with it remains the same. She as the leader of a foreign nation should have precisely no say in how the UK runs its affairs.

My issue with the EU boils entirely down to the fact that I don't think a european super state is the best way for Europe to run itself.

Ignoring the bigger issue of her being the the De Facto leader of Europe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Economic migrants:nothing more.
Yeah. Those migrants are not economic burden. They are not pigs that just eat & sleep. If they want to survive, they like other people have to work hard. And of course they are supposed to pay taxes as well. I agreed with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending